It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

Recent gig experiences 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Recent gig experiences
The past few weeks have been the most varied I think I've ever had as far as performances go, and it will keep up for a while yet..

In addition to the Stick Camp gigs, where I played my usual tunes and improvs, a couple of weeks ago I played duo with a violinist at his recital, Peter Gabriel tunes. Then last weekend it was covers galore at a benefit for a local food bank. Last Thursday found me as the bassist in a large ensemble of string quartet and three winds playing a new composition by Matthew Burtner inspired by a calving glacier, the sound of which accompanied us, Yesterday I was the bass, rhythm and lead component of a band backing up a vocalist (drums percussion, voice and yt). And next week I'll be performing with the University's New Music Ensemble, including a piano and Stick duo by one of the student composers.

It's been stretching me out in many different directions... I have to read a lot, which has been good training for me, and quite revealing about my weaknesses in this area. Several of the scenarios allow me to focus on just one part at a time, which is a wonderful contrast to my usual role of "covering all the bases".

Without exception, listeners are always telling me how great the instrument sounds — something I take for granted — with different aspects of the sound emphasized in each new setting. With the large ensemble, for instance, The bass was really present without being loud. I believe this was the result of it's completely different character: simpler overtones, long sustain, and subtle "extension" of the sound through vibrato and "fret-scraping" of the strings, plucking the strings to create tremolo effects, etc...

What a great and varied instrument we hold...

Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:57 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Recent gig experiences
Great report Greg, inspirational work with STICK . :D

Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Well done. And who better than you sir, to be out there on the leading edge of this great instrument's contribution to modern music. I mean playing accompaniment to the sound of calving glaciers........ What's next? Jamming along with the mating calls of Orcas in the wild?

Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:30 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
Last Thursday found me as the bassist in a large ensemble of string quartet and three winds playing a new composition by Matthew Burtner inspired by a calving glacier,

My kind of people. Sounds like a blast, Greg.

Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:09 am
Profile My Photo Gallery