It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 pm

Back on Open Mic Trail. 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Back on Open Mic Trail.
Finally back in action folks.
Sunday morning began at the local market, well received by wandering bargain hunters and chatted to lots of nice people, kindly making donations also. Will head back again this Sunday, organisers liked the idea.
Monday night was a kind of turning point. Been working on a version of Layla for quite a while. Launched right into it as song 1, made it through mostly unscathed complete with vocals, very satisfying. Doing my new version of 'New Blue " which now has a more interesting and varying walking bass.
Tuesday night , out to the Irish Pub for a 30 min stint, new PA and much better foldback. Sang Aint no Sunshine & right into Layla again, now I just need more with vocals, plus the usual instrumentals.
All good fun, feeling much more confident and just wanting to get better,
Wednesday night, thats tonight here in Aus, vegetating at home with kids :D
Out tomorrow, thursday, to a favourite venue for more. Meeting some interesting contacts also, which might open some performance doors by the looks of it.
Some pics below from Monday, the host also buzzing about with his Canon SLR, says he has video, yet to receive it. Cheers all. B

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Back on Open Mic Trail.
Excellent!

Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:10 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Moving forward big time. Congrats

Steve A

Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Awesome, Bruce. Do you find that when you are arranging songs for "instrumental only" vs "vocal plus Stick accompaniment" that you treat them differently? I know that sometimes for me, the song takes on a whole new identity and requires a different approach depending on what I need to do with the tune...

Just curious, and looking forward to seeing/hearing your vocal tunes here whenever you post a clip or two...

Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:40 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Scott.
I've been a bit quiet postings wise lately, but out playing lots. Back to the ship tuesday ( insert sad face here ) but I have a usual plan plan of things to study. The Vocal tunes I do are relatively simple I guess but those parts are really just to complement the vocals , its the songs themselves that I find people really identify with and whilst quite a few who have never seen a stick are thinking how is he doing that? , it was more satisfying the other night as a bunch of people sang along with the chorus of Layla, at which point I knew they were having a good time. So in Layla for the verse and chorus both parts are fairly simple but there are quick shifts of hands, with rapid chord changes which happen without looking at the neck so thats been the key. In the main theme & solo I do more.
Each time I review it and make small enhancements but all these short performances are confidence builders for sure. I'm quite happy just to go out and play now, which is a big change from a year ago. I'v done this 6 times in the last two weeks and a few Markets also.
Biggest issue now is material , I need more stuff fast so thats my big project , as some little bars are suggesting they are happy to part with money to have me do some sets. Thats the 2017 project. One other thing was a house drummer the other night I got up for the walking bass bluesy thing I do. I've extended the bass line a little for interest and it really was the most fun I've ever had possibly just to have that percussive part with brushes going on with the bass & melody from Stick. Just downloaded your Powerful power chords of power thing which I'll get round to watching on the ship. Picture from my latest excursion below. Cheers . B

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:50 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery