It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm

Open Mic Wrap up. 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Open Mic Wrap up.
I've done a few of these reports lately so in summary.
-I've been out 16 times with it live this year so far.
-If I look back on where I was at the beginning of the year, the change is significant.
-I really look forward to the challenge of playing live now and whilst its hardly Madison Square Garden , you have to start somewhere.
- generally it only lasts from 15 to 30 mins.
-Each time the crowd noise is different , the sound is different, the light ( can I see the fretboard? ) and so on, it teaches me to focus on playing and filter out distractions which can be significant.
- My pieces vary to try & keep it interesting but I dont really have the time or skills perhaps to fully " write " them out out so within a framework or theme they are in part improvised I guess. I like this spontenaeity, I enjoy thinking sometimes a little ahead of where I am at , if somethings works well I might go round it again, recovery is sometimes the art of no one noticing, so long as the time hangs in. And of course these are little performances and venues where people are not expecting John Petrucci's spectacular precision.
I've met lots of great people and have now been invited to Jams among melbourne's late night subculture of artists who inhabit warehouses round the city, thats next week, and there are prospects of collaborations also.
What I really need to do now is build more material and tidy it all up to the next level.
I also like singing and playing as we see so much of from Oliver on Stickist, so far Aint No Sunshine works OK and goes down well, Layla is not quite ready, playing & singing is another thing again.
So thats it for now, hope to get another short video up soon of one I sort of jam on with the Grand.
Speaking of the Grand , I'm nearly "Transitioned " from the Alto, its a 12 string beast of unlimited possibility ( you have to get one Rodrigo ). :D
Some shots below from Monday night .
Video also taken at another venue but I dont have it yet.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:09 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Open Mic Wrap up.
Very cool, man! I have an open mic I am doing this week also, the first really serious "outing" with the Stick as the main instrument, and probably a bunch of people checking it out. Could be cool...

. I am going to play my new version of "Mad World" "Del Mar" and "Ain't no Sunshine" with perhaps "Let It Be" "Scarborough Fair" and "All Of Me" if I get brave.I have this Django thing that's almost ready also... I will most likely do my crazy delay thing jam too! Getting out and playing is what it's all about, eh?

Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:51 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Bruce: Yep, nothing like experience. Lights, sound, crowd, for me even the damn bench I'm sitting in, everything changes and stress rises: nothing like getting out there and live thru the situations. Eventually we get to that point were we start to play differently, taking advantage of the particular acoustics as opposed to fight against it. Either way, you rocked back in Mallorca, I can only imagine now, one year later. :)
and you're right, I should definitely get my hands on a grand, just to see if it's my cup of tea ;)
Scott: it's definitely what it's all about! ;)

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:08 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Awesome Bruce! I'm jealous, but I'm also not ready to do that quite yet. Hopefully in a few months, before I hit the end of year two!

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:39 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Bruce, that's amazing! Wow, so many Open Mic gigs already! 16! You rock it pretty regularly, especially for a guy that's on the road (well, sea) for his job much of the time.

I can't wait for Layla. That should be a good one. And collaborations and jams? That's super awesome! Thanks for representing Stick like no other! Literally! The many people who see Stick for the first time and you playing it--that alone must be why Bob played four days straight in 100-degree weather at the Ann Arbor Fair last week. Walking the land, spreading the Gospel of Stick.

You are a Stick Apostle, man! Keep rocking it out and Keeping The Faith (humming Billy Joel now, so sorry about that!)

--Steve

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

You are in full flight Bruce! Loved this last round of photos. Maybe a little local press would help you get your own night if you are in one place long enough to commit to a regular gig?

Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks Gents, I feel like a bit of an advocate for the STICK in Melbourne, many more people have now seen one in action, so thats a good thing :D
Gathering my thoughts and trying to move forward, not so much time among Kids , school stuff, family matters , a dog & the Guinea Pig!
But nonetheless progress is steady.
I picked up the Alto Stick this morning and thought OMG how can I play this , its tiny, a few weeks with Grand will do that to you. Funny not long ago it felt so completely natural and comfortable :o
Cheers .
B

Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:30 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Open Mic Wrap up.
Congrats Bruce. Great pics and way to go. The tough thing with singing is staying always in front of the mike without turning head to look at the fretboard. Excellent way to learn "blind playing". I really don't dig the headset mikes, you cannot "play" with the distance to these babies. I now know exactly when I can or have to look at the fretboard in each song, to avoid clams. Go for it. Singing really adds something to your act and distract the audience from the "strange instrument" we play. The focus goes to the music.

Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Thanks Olivier, I hear what you say about timing vocals on a mic to sneak in this quick looks at the fretboard, I am getting much better at it. I also want to ultimately move the focus equally to the music and songs , so the " unusual " aspect of it being delivered on a Stick is just a part of the performance, not the main thing. :D

Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I have been out to an open mic night near me about a half dozen times. Usually I get to perform two and sometimes three tunes. It is a low key vibe and usually the other performers are playing strummy folk music although I had to follow an angry arab poet lady once. The host and I have started to introduce me as "And now for something completely different." I have played some classical, pop and light jazz and it has been well received. My favorite comment so far has been "That instrument is everything that is hard about a keyboard and everything that is hard about a guitar rolled in to one."

Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:34 am