It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:03 am

Open Mic, 3rd in a week. 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Open Mic, 3rd in a week.
Busy here Down-under getting round the many open mic nights . Out again last night but just with the Alto, no Grand this time. Got a bad kind of head cold but pushing on. Luckily my head cleared up long enough to get through the Vocals for "Aint no Sunshine".
This was new venue for me, an Irish style pub, quite a few people around for a Tuesday night, though I've met the host at another place. Various Monitors flown around on the ceiling but this tiny little foldback speaker , so they tell me it sounded cool out front but I had very little level , which made it more difficult for a moment, but thats why i do this for the unexpected hurdles.
Did my thing, and I get the "keep going!" so I pulled out the Blues Improv for a bit, half of "Steves Trick Bag" and then remembered I could make it through Little wing mostly unscathed.
A fun night again, much learned, more good stage experience, more things to work on. Hoping to do one tonight and tomorrow again if I feel a bit better. Back to Ship next week ( Arghhh ) so I should have a "Song in A week " also uploaded by then, all going well.
The picture attached is from last week which was the Maple Grands first outing , Cheers . B

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue May 31, 2016 5:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Open Mic, 3rd in a week.
Really cool, Bruce. Yer a damn legend...

Arrrrrrr

Tue May 31, 2016 6:40 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Congratulations, piratebruce! Sounds like you are going over very well in the open mic setting. Do you need to contact these open mics up in advance to get to play, or do you just show up and throw down? Some I have been to here in Erie make you sign up a week or two in advance. I am not sure if that is to encourage folks who want to play to come out and be part of the crowd first or what. The up side is you know that you will get a chance and you have ample time to prepare. Over all I would rather show up and play.

Anyway, I love that you are getting out there to a broad audience and not just sharing with us here. Not long till I expect you will be doing and entire concert of solo stuff (or maybe you already do).

Keep Chargin'

Mike

Tue May 31, 2016 7:55 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Mike
It does vary a little, some you can only show up and register, others I get in contact with a few days ahead to secure a spot. For many the Stick is still unusual so they are keen to have it. My aim is to have enough for a couple of sets soon, though I might include some Acoustic Guitar/ Vocal songs in there for variation, it will suit where I'm hoping to head with it all. There's a Facebook page here that lists many of the open mics in Melbourne , with brief info & links so thats pretty helpful.
All going well I hope to have enough material by September, thats the next step, I used to do quite a bit as solo guitar & also duo quite a few years back. The incentive is I already have some local options to play at who are keen , just need to have it all properly together. Cheers . B

Tue May 31, 2016 8:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Congrats on another rocking open mic night, Bruce! Best of luck on the high seas next week! (High C's? Sorry!)

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:23 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery