It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:24 am

2 gigs, a lot of ground to cover  
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post 2 gigs, a lot of ground to cover
Hi guys, I've been kind of absent lately due to these two gigs I was booked that are coming up really fast. Each in a duo, stick plus singer, each singer with it's own repertoire, summing up to a total 45 new songs I have to learn, rearrange for stick, solo on, etc. Can't even begin to describe how much I've learned since this marathon begun but I'm starting to think I can actually pull this off.... If the stress doesn't kill me first! Lol anyway, I keep reading everyone's posts, trying to stay connected to my stick brothers and sisters :) cheers to you all

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:13 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: 2 gigs, a lot of ground to cover
That's so awesome for you, Rodrigo! If it's anything like that Ave Maria I just saw recently on Facebook, that's going to be some amazing sets! That was just such a beautiful performance by you and the vocalist for Easter. Congratulations on both of you! But 45 songs?! :o That's so incredibly amazing that I can't even understand how you can learn all that. Best of luck!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

sheesh dooder, 45 tunes! .......I know you will pull it off though....
Enjoy the gigs Rodrigo!

cheers,
kev

Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Best wishes for your shows, bachdois.

I once learned 35 songs(mostly on the bass) in 7 days to play with a band I was auditioning for. Lucky for me the songs were mostly covers from the 1970's, 80's and 90's that I had at least heard before on the radio. (though I had never attempted any of them on any instrument) I think I had to learn about 5 of their originals at the same time. All went well even with the stress. I did make a few notes on my forearm for unusual transpositions and important dramatic changes in pen.

Anyway, I made the cut and convinced them to learn one of my songs for the next show.

I would guess, from what I have seen of your playing and preparation that you will know the material best of anyone on the stage. Now find a way to relax!!

Mike

Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:45 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I have a hard time learning a new tune in 3 months......
Happy for you Rodrigo...also green with envy, seems you've found your ultimate instrument. I have too....but at a slower pace...ehehe.

Cheers,
Kev

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Been Quiet Myself , well here at least, but now I'm inspired, you'll pull it off, you wouldn't have it any other way! :D

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Wow! :o

Way to step up, Rodrigo...we all know you're up for this challenge. Looking forward to the after-report! :D

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:10 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Holy moly! It took me 5 YEARS to learn 65 songs. I'm flabbergasted. [emoji15]

Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:24 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

It sounds worst than it actually is. Mike is quite on the spot with the example he gave.
First thing was getting to know the songs really well (listened to them a thousand times) then realize that I'll be accompanying a singer, so I'll leave the melodies for her. Second step learn the harmony.
Third step choose what kind of accompaniment I'll be doing in each song and come up with nice intros and endings. All of this is done now for the 1st gig - 20 songs.
Now all I have to do is play them enough so that the hands land in the right place after each movement and not forget the intros and all the cues so that the singer understands what I'm doing and don't get lost.
The benefits have been tremendous: so far my right hand has been mainly focusing on melodies, now it also does chord chapes. With that all the scales I've been practicing become very easy to unfold from any given chord wich in turn allows me to improvise very easily.
Every exercise I've ever did has been called up upon and every video of someone playing has been an unending source of inspiration and ideas on how to pull this off. I'm happy to say that all first 20 songs sound different from each other, and that says a lot about the richness this forum provides.
Another important thing is that with so many songs and so little time, I tend to apply a lot of inversions in the chords to avoid big jumps and that, in turn, opens up the possibilities for beautiful voicings throughout the songs. Finally, since the stick is really a keyless instrument, I mess up and play them in a different key every day: amazing way to expand the skills throughout the board.
don't know if you can feel it, but I'm a very happy dude!

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:32 pm