It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:07 pm

Liq Nix follow up (1st post op gig) 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Liq Nix follow up (1st post op gig)
If you saw the recent announcement where I had my first show(2/26) since I had surgery on my left shoulder(10/30)...here is how it went.

Setting up was more difficult than usual. I often leave my gear at our rehearsal studio so I haven't had to set it up much in recent weeks. Also, when setting the gear up where we rehearse, I am not in so much of a hurry. Now I had to do it fast and with one hand, mostly.(Sounds vaguely dirty)

But I carried everything in myself and got it all hooked up in time to start the show(bonus). I felt a sensation of butterflies I haven't felt in years, thinking about how I wanted this to sound like a Liquid Nixon show and not like a Liquid Nixon show with a still-recovering Chapman Stick player.

The show went really well. Once the show got started, I got comfortable in a different Stickist role. Rather than attempt to dazzle the guitarists in the audience with my two handed independent magic( :lol: ), I focused on more subtle melodic fills in my right hand with supporting root/third harmonies in the left. This was still fairly challenging since I was changing(often on the fly) what I had previously composed as a "set" arrangement for our songs. I also was less interested in the sheer number of notes I played and tried to play less notes with more feeling(something we all know we should do anyway).

It doesn't matter how important a particular performance is to me or the band I am playing with, I can never resist the urge to explore my instrument or the song in a different way (in other words, if we were suddenly called to perform on the Late Show on national TV, I still wouldn't be able to keep from trying to play something new, regardless of the consequences). This causes a certain amount of tension between me and some people I play with, but I can hardly help it. Long story short, I felt even more liberated once getting warmed up since I would have the excuse of pointing to my shoulder and saying, "Still Healing, couldn't be helped". :roll:

In the end I think we had one of our better shows--band energy-wise, and audience reception-wise. I cannot in good conscience recommend getting injured to help you play better, but in this case, I think it gave me more sense.

I am still hoping to regain the use of my finger, but am no longer worried that I will be less of a Stickist if I don't get it back. Just don't go calling me nine-fingered-Frodo, k?

Mike

Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:55 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Liq Nix follow up (1st post op gig)
Wow Mike, congratulations, you deserve it! More notes, less notes, more fingers, less fingers.... It's just about the music in the end, right? ;) happy for you man!

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:49 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

What Rodrigo said; Sounds like it worked out, Mike!

Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:13 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Thanks guys. Can't wait till our album is done so I can share it here. It is getting there, slowly.

Mike

Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Can't wait to hear that! :) cheers Mike

Sent by Tapatalk

All Links:
https://ampl.ink/dNLw4

Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:52 am