It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 6:35 pm

Island Gig 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Island Gig - Whole story & movies
So here I am back in Switzerland. Just went from 30 degrees Celsius to 4, from sun and a light breeze to snow and wind.

This vacation was a blast with many surprises, the last of them being the cab driver who took me yesterday from St. Marteen's Grand Case airport (where I landed coming from Statia) to Juliana airport (where I took the Airbus to Paris and then Geneva). When loading my luggage, the guy asks: "What kinda guitar is this?" "A Chapman Stick". Cab driver just goes: "Cool". I say: "You know the Chapman Stick?". He goes: "Of course". I was floored. Turned out Albert (the cab driver) is a guitar player and there's a band with a Stick player which gigged repeatedly on St. Marteen (he couldn't remember the band's name). So we chatted during the whole trip about music and when we hit the airport, I had a new friend.

But let's go back to november 16 and the Statia Day gig on main street. Here's a video a friend of mine shot with a little camera. I was surprised by the sound quality. I thought it would be distorted because of the huge sound system and its godzilla sized subwoofers. Well enjoy:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2Z5XdJ6R2k[/youtube]

Another higlight of this year on Statia was the afterdive party at the dive center. Once again, small camera but this time just the little Phil Jones amp I leave on the island (it's on the table behind me).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02ASC0-3Rks[/youtube]

Looking forward to be back on this funky Island next year. :) :)

Attachment:
DSCN2736.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Island Gig
Thanks for these pics and videos...sounds great. So close from the ocean...but waves are small...I'm sure it's a great feeling to play in these conditions. Reality came back fast (talking about weather)...sorry for this...

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks for the videos, Olivier; I will be sure to watch them when I log in to YouTube later. Was anyone else taken aback by that 4x10 on the keyboard stand, or am I just that geeky about audio quality?

Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:39 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Robstafarian wrote:
Was anyone else taken aback by that 4x10 on the keyboard stand, or am I just that geeky about audio quality?

Rob, this was the headliner's bass player's rig. I did not use a preamp or an amp. I had my Bose Tonematch mini mixer in which I plugged the bass side. The melody side went through a Zoom multieffects into the Tonematch. Both units were on the ground in front of the mic stand. A mono line went form the Tonematch to the stage box. The sound guys were in charge for the rest (vocal). I just asked them to keep the stick channel flat, all the eq happening in the Tonematch. Their sound system had such bass cojones that I had to cut out some very low frequencies on the Tonematch to make it less boomy. These guys are nuts when it comes to power. From where I stood on stage, I could feel the bass emitted by the FOH rumbling my guts. Played half an hour. It was real FUN. :D

Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Olivier wrote:
Rob, this was the headliner's bass player's rig. I did not use a preamp or an amp. I had my Bose Tonematch mini mixer in which I plugged the bass side. The melody side went through a Zoom multieffects into the Tonematch. Both units were on the ground in front of the mic stand. A mono line went form the Tonematch to the stage box. The sound guys were in charge for the rest (vocal). I just asked them to keep the stick channel flat, all the eq happening in the Tonematch. Their sound system had such bass cojones that I had to cut out some very low frequencies on the Tonematch to make it less boomy. These guys are nuts when it comes to power. From where I stood on stage, I could feel the bass emitted by the FOH rumbling my guts. Played half an hour. It was real FUN. :D

I figured that you did not use that rig, given your previous posts about playing on the island—which I enjoyed very much. Thanks for the signal routing information. :lol:

Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:21 pm