It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 11:08 am

Liquid Nixon update 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Liquid Nixon update
3 days later. Still a lot of pain and my left hand is still numb. really it feels more like it is asleep(all tingly) rather than numb. That wasn't expected, but it seems as long as it isn't a circulation problem, it isn't a big worry. Later today or tomorrow I will try to play with my good hand for the first time since Friday. The sling I have to wear on my left arm may be more of an issue, being in the way, than I originally thought. We'll see.

Mike

Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hang in there MK! :D

Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:01 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I have been able to play the Stick for about an hour at a stretch the last two days (one handed--for any who might not be up on my current events). Only a little discomfort trying to move me unuseable arm out of the way. I am working on the melody side part for Ray Charles' "Georgia on my mind" on my SG12. Sounds pretty good so far. I am also practicing my sight reading on that instrument at the same time. I wanted to try "Hit the road jack" but it seems it is better to take it slower for now.

I think the bluesy-gospel like style of piano that Ray Charles and others play translates especially well to the Stick.

Thanks to Emmett for making a stringed instrument you can play with one hand! I guess the harp could be too, but who wants to lug one of those around with one arm in a sling. "free HAND" is almost as fun as Free Hands :D .

Mike

Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:03 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

For those interested, the practice is coming along. In the past weeks I have put together a nice pedal board that will be complete-ish once I get my Christmas present. I am hoping to add a talkbox of some sort to replace the wah effect I have used in the past on my soon to be omitted Digitech RP255. That was a good way to experiment with different sounds in a pretty cheap package, but to difficult to change on the fly.

Has anyone tried a talkbox with the Stick? It isn't something you can just walk into a music store and try out, because of the tube that goes in your mouth. I am really hoping it will work. I have seen guitarists and keyboard players use them with great success though the attack with the guitar pick likely creates more energy.

Lastly, the discouraging news. My index finger on my left hand(on the side whereI had surgery) no longer bends at the knuckle closest to the finger tip. I don't know whether you call that the first or 3rd knuckle. Anyway, if that control doesn't come back, I will have to think of a new way to play major chords on the bass side. Minor chords go pretty good with middle, ring and pinky fingers but I cant stretch to make the majoe chord. Hopefully it is just a matter of physical therapy which will start in about a month.

But right now, I am just enjoying even adding a bass note to go with what I am playing on the melody.

Mike

Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:15 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Now I understand :shock:

Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:16 pm