It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:59 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 The Gene Perry Appreciation Thread!!! 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: The Gene Perry Appreciation Thread!!!
Thank you. All this coming from people that I love and respect, I am grateful. What a unique opportunity we have to all pull together in exploring this instrument and methodology. Thanks for listening and sharing, I'm happy just be here.

I'm in Seattle at the moment staying with a fellow Stickist (thanks Steven LeBeau and Jenny), and got to stay up late last night putting on new strings and trying out Steven's Graphite Stick (for the first time). I was surprised to hear that he had purchased both of his Sticks from JRJ. I had made a trade with JRJ about 5 years back for my current 10 string Paduak and it's still my favorite. The fact that JRJ once owned the Stick I call my own makes it all the more special. It's a small world and an even smaller Stick world.

I will forever remember what JRJ said when we all gathered around Evan up in the commons area at FHA 2013. Evan had had his Stick only a few months and I think he was a little shy about playing in front of us. JRJ said this - EXACTLY:

"We don't judge. We're all here to learn and share music."

That was a powerful moment. I'd never heard it put quite so simply and with such grace. I think back to that moment a lot these days and still hope there's time enough to live my life like that.

Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:23 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Well, I'm a bit late to the party, yet I too would like to thank Gene for everything - for the FHF sessions, for putting the FHA together, for all his enthusiasm in the community, for the MS Exchange/SharePoint talks, for the great help with the accommodation in LA after the FHA, and for the spare shirt :D
Thank you, Gene!

Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I agree totally.
Gene has been a awesome resource for everyone and everything stick related.
Such a positive force introducing people to the stick.
Although I have not met him personally(yet) I am appreciative of the way he makes people feel included and accepts you for who you are.

A real gentleman.

I look forward to FHF vids and posts and I have learned a lot from watching his songs a week.

When I meet Gene I know I owe him at least one beer. :)

Just a shout out to all the instructors and people that do this as well, it is such a small community of stickists it is a real pleasure to have so many ambassadors driving the stick into the mainstream where it should be.

Cheers

Rosewood Alto #5764

Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:14 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

It was my 1st FHF and wow! TY Gene for organizing this and so many other things ,
and to all who participated.

The concert afterwards was an extra treat. Will the concert portion be posted?

Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:58 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Gene,

Thanks for all you've done. You are a great asset not only to our community but also to Stick Enterprises.
I wouldn't be surprised if sometime in the future they hire you as a spokesperson. If they do, make sure to
ask for back pay (just kidding) :)

Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:42 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Gene,
Slow clap from the back of the room! ( everyone join in) Well nice to see you got the recognition you so wanted and
deserved. Now what are going to do with your other 14 minutes of fame? :D *

Congrats for all you do,
Dave B "DBro"

*reference to one of Pittsburgh's most innovative and favorite sons Andy Warhol who only gave pop stars 15 minutes of fame!

Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:11 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

It was great having Gene stay with us for the week, and we all had a lot of fun! Gene introduced me to his baritone tuning, showed me a lot of cool stuff about the stick I never knew, and took us out to dinner (multiple times). We were sad to see him go, and I hope he's back soon. He's welcome to stay with us any time. :)

Steven on Youtube
Steven on Sound Cloud

Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:50 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

The love Gene has for this community and The Stick is without measure. Thanks, Gene.

Red Railboard Classic

Host of Beyond the Playlist with JHammondC

Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:09 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I appreciate Gene Perry more every day.. Thanks for being here, Gene!

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Sorry for being late writing in this thread. Been too busy lately so not much free time. But I echo what others have written here about Gene. Splendid fellow in ALL ways. Great inspiration and a positive force in the Stick community and a friendly lad. Thanks Gene!

-Mobilis in mobil-

Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:20 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next