It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:12 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Potential appearance on FHF 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Potential appearance on FHF
K Rex wrote:
In other news, Walter Caldwell (Dubyasee) is among the living. I spoke to him today.

That is great news. Other than that, well, my lack of articulation speaks for itself. :(

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:21 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Sorry for your loss Kev, ++++++++++++++++++ 1111111111111 for everything that's already been said.

Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:59 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:45 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

dubyasee wrote:

Welcome back!

Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:54 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

dubyasee wrote:

It was a real shitty day. I am a father, and have those instincts... like, bigtime. So, when my reality collapses around me, I count my chickens. Or something like that. Walter Caldwell is one of two people on this forum whom I have actually met (we had a great time drinking beer at the bar while my wife was doing a demo at Whole Foods in VA Beach). When he didn't log in for over two years, I feared he was not well, or dead. I resolved myself to find out, and report it to the forum. This has been on my mind for a while now.

Today provided the impetus to find out once and for all. After a psychically crippling afternoon, I was overjoyed to hear from Dubyasee. To boot, he will be visiting in August. Killer.

Lost an old friend today. I have lost so many friends. Not sure I can articulate anything about this, other than I am diminished greatly by her passing. I really can't speak about it any further. Be careful on the road. Hold the wheel with both hands and drive as if your life depends on your awareness, because it does.

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:54 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Jan Hellman wrote:
K Rex wrote:
RIP
Holly Anne Grier
1970 - 2015

K

Ok. That sucks big time. So sorry to hear this. Too young as well and that makes it suck even more. Sorry for your loss. Raise a glas for your friend tonight, Kev. I lost several friends this winter and I always tend to read some Richard Bach quotes when people I love pass away. And that has unfortunately happened too many times in my life. This is my favourite at times like this....

Quote:
Don't be dismayed by good-byes. A farewell is necessary before you can meet again. And meeting again, after moments or lifetimes, is certain for those who are friends.

A Richard Bach classic. I am not a God kind of person but I kind of believe that it´s not the end when we die. It´s really odd actually. Every time, more or less, that I´ve lost a loved one I´ve made a new friend very soon after. Same thing happened again just last week when a drummer friend passed away too young. Met this girl that very same afternoon. We just started to talk and we can read each others minds and we finish each others sentences. It´s spooky but we are absolutely certain that we´ve met before. So I lost one friend and gained another. I don´t know. Anyway. Sorry for your loss, Kevin. Good-byes are bloody tough even tho we´ll perhaps meet again further down the road. The problem is that we want to hang with our friends and loved ones in THIS life. Cheers to you.

//J

Thank you so much, Jan.

K

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:56 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
Kev, My favorite of the tracks you posted was "Leeches" ,was all that crazy tear-it-up lead playing you? I can't understand why it only got 50 plays in one whole year. But some of my vids don't get much action either. Is that the kind of thing you'll be showing people on FHF?

Greg,

The first lead is mine. The man tearing it up is named Thel. He left the band abruptly after these recordings, and the drummer and I continue as a 2-piece. I am currently ripping his solo parts on my own. The drummer is from my primary band, BUZZARD. We have been active since 1989... a very well-known band in these parts, and in places like Baltimore, Philly, etc.

That piece, like all the other pieces from that session, is unfinished. It was awaiting overdubs and retakes. I posted it "as is" because it cannot be worked on any further without destroying it and reassembling it. It sounds very bare to me. But thank you for listening.

For no reason at all, here is an old video of Thel, playing with a band we used to tour with a lot in the early 90's, a mix of hardcore and proto-mathrock:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61l_XPnYFdQ[/youtube]

False Sacrament, Breadwinner, Sliang Laos, Buzzard, Confessor, all bands from my day. Lots of tours, lots of shows, floored Don Caballero, floored lots of bands. Since you do not know my history, you don't know that I have little interest in posting solo videos to youtube as a 10 year-old would. I am very much a composer in a band context. I do not "pursue music" in the way others do, because the things I seek from music are unconventional and there is no future and no money to be had in doing so. I routinely make 1k in 4 hours on one market every single Saturday. Just that one market, forget about Whole Foods, forget the other markets. Why would I devote time to "pursuing music" as a career? Watching other folks play covers, whether it's Bach or jazz standards or pop tunes, is great. I am entertained by it. I just don't have it in me. That some people make money from doing it is fantastic, I am all for it. I am not made valid by my ability to play lots of forgettable gigs.

I am not currently gigging, although I am rehearsing twice a week toward that end, and daily on my own, of course. When BUZZARD plays, the shows are sold out. It's an event. Ask anyone in Norfolk, my wife will roll her eyes having to retell the tales. The lines are wrapped around the building.

I am not a conventional musician. I have played out plenty. At this point, I am focusing on writing and recording. My brother is an engineer who lives in Richmond... the best engineer in Richmond, my opinion. He suffers from Parkinson's. Perhaps he has a couple years left before he goes on disability and he is unable/disallowed to make money. We are trying to create a memorable album of incredible, rich, complex and unique music. I don't share much before it is ready, and never have. My music, especially my current music, takes quite a bit of time to develop, especially considering it is composed for an ensemble.

If I decided to play Bach tunes, Bouree, etc, on my Warr, it would be a matter of a month or two before I could organize a show, and away I would go. I am not that sort of musician, although I have great respect for those that play that stuff. I loved your Pork Pie Hat. Killer.

We are very different musicians, Greg. This is what I have to offer. I come from a very different space than most stick players.

greg wrote:
Gene, K Rex was invited for a slot on Free Hands Friday. While I'm sure some people have reservations based on his interaction with people on this forum, and there may be more deserving players out there who are actively pursuing music, I see no reason why he shouldn't be given the opportunity, and he's clearly of a mind that the chance is being denied him. I'd like to prove him wrong. People are clearly interest in his music, as indicated by the many thread views and comments on his music thread in the Showcase. He's clearly got some chops, and the Warr Guitar is based on Free Hands too, so why not?

Kev, don't just threaten to show up. Don't let us down. Don't toy with us. Don't back pedal. Make it so. I'm curious to see what you're doing, as are many others. And since you're not gigging out these days, it's the only chance we'll get (it seems).

Again, I am not threatening anything. Gene asked me, and Gene very clearly just told us he has a full schedule. I am not on the radar. It's OK. I am comfortable in my space, knowing my abilities and knowing that incredible music is being made, though you don't see it. It doesn't bother me that you don't see it.

I have no ability and no desire to "make it so." I don't make the schedule. Gene just explained how booked the show is. I will not interfere. I will only point out there is some bizarre opposition to my appearance, which you still have not addressed. At this point, I don't care if you address it. I am fucking tired and sad.

I will do a show when it works out. I don't know when that will be. Gene is busy. People lobby against me, it's a fact. I am not a priority. Again, it's OK.

Ending this day now. Wish you well.

Kev

-- Mikhail Bakunin

Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:14 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

K Rex wrote:
Thank you so much, Jan.

K

You are welcome, Kev.

-Mobilis in mobil-

Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:03 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jan Hellman wrote:
K Rex wrote:
Thank you so much, Jan.

K

You are welcome, Kev.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_cIhnUEEng[/youtube]

Ahhhhhh... That feels so much better.

Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:56 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Sorry for the loss of your friend Kev. It is a big suck when that happens. I'm sure many of us have lost too many friends at too young an age. Time really does help heal the raw emotion, but we never forget those that have proceeded us. Best to you......

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:07 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12