It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:31 am

Air travel with a Chapman Stick 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Air travel with a Chapman Stick
Here's the latest FHF, hope you find some value in it, cheers.

Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Air travel with a Chapman Stick
Very thoughtful stuff, Gene- thanks for sharing from your experience. This is a topic that can be worrisome for many of us.

Regarding domestic travel, I wonder if you (or anyone else) have any thoughts or experience with "gate checking" a Stick. The one time I flew with my Stick, I removed the belt hook, used a soft case, and wrapped it similarly to what you described to give it some more protection. It ended up gate checked for a couple of legs. Any insight as to whether gate checked items might be less likely to end up underneath other luggage in the innards of the plane?

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:37 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Great info Gene!

Gusset wrote:
Regarding domestic travel, I wonder if you (or anyone else) have any thoughts or experience with "gate checking" a Stick. The one time I flew with my Stick, I removed the belt hook, used a soft case, and wrapped it similarly to what you described to give it some more protection. It ended up gate checked for a couple of legs. Any insight as to whether gate checked items might be less likely to end up underneath other luggage in the innards of the plane?

Every time I’ve flown with my Stick, I have gate-checked it (US domestic and US/Canada). These flights were with JetBlue (domestic) and Air Canada. It has generally worked well for me.

Some random notes:
- I was hesitant to go with only the soft case and risk having to check it only in that. I’ve used the Stick hard case.
- I also didn't like the idea of having to hand over the instrument to get lost with baggage handlers, although I think the oversize aspect might help that a bit.
- Gate checking means the instrument is with me at all times until I board the plane and is there right outside the plane’s door when I exit.
- I can lock the case once I pass security. Note that if you have an ACTV2, the battery will concern security folks, although the Stick looks really rad on xray and so far my experience with security has been positive.
- The Stick case looks like a large rifle case and other passengers standing in lines around you will give you strange looks. I use it an opportunity to explain what I’m traveling with and have a pic ready to show on my iPhone.
- I did research ahead of time with each airline I was flying to confirm that I could do a gate-check. I went so far as going to the airport to show the airline agents pictures of the case to make sure I wouldn’t have any issues.
- I’ve had gate agents hassle me when I ask for a gate-check tag or even try to give me a normal tag (which means the Stick would not be at the gate when I arrive). Be persistent and make sure you get the correct tag (on JetBlue it’s a pink tag).
- I usually remove anything from the case that could damage the Stick’s finish if flung around (tools, cables, etc.). I either put those in my checked bags or carry-on.
- There’s some space left over in the case under the instrument, I’ve used that for soft things like a jacket or light clothing.
- As Gene says, the case is a pain to actually carry.
- Gate check bags go in the baggage hold, so the instrument will get cold and deal with pressure differences. As Gene also suggests, I usually loosen the strings a bit. The instrument will be cold when you get it back. You’ll generally want a bit of time to let it settle and retune before you play it.

The only issue I had was flying back from Vancouver. This was Vancouver to Boston through Toronto and they have you pass customs/immigration in Toronto. Not sure why, but my Stick went with the rest of the bags through customs, I did not see it in Toronto and only got it back in Boston. I realized when I got home that the case has a solid ding in the metal strip on the bottom edge of the case. I assume it fell on something. The Stick was fine.

I think a case with wheels is more ideal for this, maybe one of those SKB cases with wheels?

Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:33 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks Claire and Vic, you both have such great experience! I'm heading to Vancouver next week, so I'll be putting the hacks into hacktion!

There's no guarantees when gate-checking with a softshell case, it's a bit of a gamble. Annie and I went to the airport one week ahead of our flight to talk to the same crew that was going to be working the next week at the same (when our flight was departing) and they said for international flight, they might not accept the softshell case. For shorter flights I've done it, but I finally own a hardshell case, so, why not.

All that prep you're talking Claire is pure logic, also makes such good sense to bring a picture. Great idea. There's also a good amount of space in the Stick case, I used it for clothes =)

Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:58 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Just to be clear, my comment re the soft case had to do with trying to do carry-on. I know various Stick players do that, but I was always concerned that I wouldn't be able to and then the Stick would get checked in its soft case.

Personally I would not gate-check it in anything other than a hard case. Although you have it with you outside the plane, it still goes on slides and gets tossed around as baggage, and it will be placed in the baggage hold. And ultimately once it's out of your hands, it might end up with all the other baggage like it did for me in Canada.

And I'm specifically referring to the gate check like strollers and such where they bring back the item to the plane's door when you land, not the setup where they take your extra bag for free and it ends up in the baggage claim when you land.

Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:32 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Got it.. I think that the idea of the gate check exists primarily just for strollers, people with any sort of disability or for wheelchairs for the older folks.

I think it's fair to put a $3k instrument in with that lot. Biased, well yes perhaps but we all like to find things the way we left them, especially when we travel.

Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

earthgene wrote:
Got it.. I think that the idea of the gate check exists primarily just for strollers, people with any sort of disability or for wheelchairs for the older folks.

I think it's fair to put a $3k instrument in with that lot. Biased, well yes perhaps but we all like to find things the way we left them, especially when we travel.

Especially when it's a musical instrument!
Never flown w/ a Stick but I think I would check the case empty and wrap the Stick in swaddling clothes and hold it on my lap! "Would you like to see my Blondie? She's sleeping."

Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

From Syracuse-Dulles-Narita to Manila 10:30 PM through customs to baggage pickup waiting to last person standing no baggage. Sir can I help you? My bags ! “Come with us please. Q&A time. Your bags are in some where ville. Cars waiting outside I have nothing. Hour and some later my son tells me they will keep my belongings and some what pay me off. 2 days later at 2 in the morning and car pulls up with my baggage ripped apart with tape wrapped around it . You can use your imagination from here. Thank God I didn’t bring a Stick.

Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

stickyfingers wrote:
From Syracuse-Dulles-Narita to Manila 10:30 PM through customs to baggage pickup waiting to last person standing no baggage. Sir can I help you? My bags ! “Come with us please. Q&A time. Your bags are in some where ville. Cars waiting outside I have nothing. Hour and some later my son tells me they will keep my belongings and some what pay me off. 2 days later at 2 in the morning and car pulls up with my baggage ripped apart with tape wrapped around it . You can use your imagination from here. Thank God I didn’t bring a Stick.

My idea doesn't sound too protective after all.

Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

stickyfingers wrote:

Oh man, that's a horror story. Hopefully it will never happen again, it is a troubling time when you are without your belongings when you travel.

Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:01 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery