It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 am

RECAP: Free Hands Friday #75 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: RECAP: Free Hands Friday #75
And JRJ's video from 2014 - so good! Acoustic wiry sound and feel, and a strong rhythm full of surprising twists and turns. A desire to flow with the music and with the instrument. Many thanks for succeeding. It seems, JRJ, video is your medium, that and live on stage.

Wed May 25, 2016 1:28 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I am thoroughly enjoying the derailment MK!

JRJ is one of my favorite Stickists. He's a humble guy, but I would really love to know more about his Stick journey for sure. I am going to be pushing for a FHF with him sooner than later.

We could start a new thread, but Emmett's here now too, so let's just let the tangent unravel - just like the music. :D

Wed May 25, 2016 1:59 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Thank you, Sir. Here's to hoping JRJ revisits soon! *gulp*(symbolic and literal at the same time :D )

Mike

Wed May 25, 2016 5:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

:shock: Thanks so much for the 'sound reinforcement'. I am really inspired that Emmett
gave such a nice thumbs up; "Many thanks for succeeding" :?. Interesting. Are we there yet?

To me the whole game is about continuous re-invention, that really means figuring out new
ways to explore the instrument every day. Documentation, recording, video, etc, is the hard part for me.
So I am also inspired that Emmett said that " video is your medium" :idea:. I would very much
like to take that idea and run with it for a while. Thank you Emmett!...

Quote:
Mike Kemp:

I improvise a lot- I mean a lot, at home when I play. I think it sounds lovely to my ears, but am not sure how others will like it. How do you decide when something you improvise is made for the ears of others, if you don't mind me asking?

This is an interesting question and too big to really flesh out here but it seems to come down to woodshed or stage, however small.

To answer that I think that people by and large are not musicians and have no idea of the scope and depth of the adventure.

Lets be honest, bars, coffee houses, art openings, libraries are
the common outlets that a lot of us have played and that kind of performance is just a step
away from busking and people are not really there to pay attention to you :|. It is not a concert.

Sometimes you get a gig that is three hours long so improvisation is really key.

Distractions, questions, ambient noise; how is a serious musician to cope :lol:. Well, you laugh at the circumstance and keep a sense of humor about yourself for getting into such a mess and then you improvise, improvise, improvise and there will always be someone or two and sometimes a group that will get captured by the spell of it, then the lasers come on and you can feel it and you don't want to lose what little audience you have.

Improvisation is the midwife of songs :geek:.

Quote:
JRJ is one of my favorite Stickists. He's a humble guy, but I would really love to know more about his Stick journey for sure. I am going to be pushing for a FHF with him sooner than later.

Gene you are too kind 8-). If you want me to do it I would be honored but be forewarned, Don Schiff was my
teacher and he put a blarney stone on me ;). I can do Friday June 17th. Is that a good day?

Thanks again guys.

jRj
*j*
.~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Thu May 26, 2016 12:13 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I enjoyed reading this, you're welcome friend.

17th is a go. I have been wanting to do a session with Russell Keating forever, hoping to catch a Friday with him sometime soon too.

Thu May 26, 2016 1:43 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery