It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:51 pm

Tuning to Chord Voicings, not Voicing Chords to the Tuning 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Tuning to Chord Voicings, not Voicing Chords to the Tuning
My idea before was to first find the chord voicings you want to hear, and then map out what they look like in standard tuning. Then, start tweaking the tuning until you can get them all fingerable, eliminating as much of the stretching as possible not worrying about logical tunings.

I came up with a workable solution before for playing non 3rd chords with two sticks held horizontal on the lap in a table top fashion. I now realize I was trying to do too many things though. I wanted to be able to play walking bass, chords, AND melody.

It occurred to me that Russo's book Jazz Composition and Orchestration recommends keeping the original bass part through the solos for the sake of unity. Many of the modal jazz tunes I want to play have assigned bass pitches and rhythms so that makes the bass playing job much easier since you're not trying to improvise walking bass and a jazz solo while you also play chords.

I've found a tuning that will allow me to play bass, 3 note quartals, and melody with an 8+4 configuration. There's only 25 basic chords without alterations. That's few enough to not put much strain on memorization.

If you want to walk, stop playing chords or just stab at them now and then, only suggesting them.

Also, the 1-5 "stomp" to anchor down the chord isn't needed playing normal types of changes or if the tune uses chord roots. This eliminates a "stride" situation in the left hand. But my idea allows for the stomp if required.

The tuning I've come up with for the left hand starting with the high string on the bass side is E4 B3 F#3 G#2 C#2 F#1 A0

Essentially it's for playing bass 3 note quartals on the E, B and F#, the stomps on G# and C#, plus bass on the F# and A strings.

After I work this up to speed, I'll start throwing in my patented chord alterations and voila, a jazz stick player ala Tyner.

Now what should the open strings be for the melody in fourths side? Hmm?

Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:19 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Tuning to Chord Voicings, not Voicing Chords to the Tuni
Tatsu's back! I love the way you think about music and the Stick. Keep posting!

I was looking at your bass tuning and counted 7 strings. So, you'll be using 5 strings for the melody side? Also, that low A would now be on the treble pickup, right? Please correct me if I"m wrong.

R

Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:32 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: Tuning to Chord Voicings, not Voicing Chords to the Tuni
Yes, 5 melody strings and the low A bass on the melody pickup.

Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:00 pm