It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:32 pm

Option B: Play from scores, study from texts 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Option B: Play from scores, study from texts
Many new players are anxious to get out there and perform as soon as possible. SE offers materials to get them started using chord diagrams.

Others lurking here may aspire to play from the vast keyboard literature available for the Stick--or even to study music on the instrument. I would like to confirm that with a certain instrumental setup and tuning*, most piano method books and all theory books work as if they were written for the Stick.

Here are some particularly useful ones:

Alfred's Group Piano For Adults
This program collects exercises, repertoire, and theory into 30 weekly lessons. It was designed for non-keyboard music majors but it starts at the very beginning. Classes in ear training and sight-singing (Musicianship 101 at your local JC) will help you master this material.

Jazz Piano by Mark Levine
Once your reading is good enough, you can start on a jazz method book like this very popular one. Some of the left-hand chords must be abridged for stickists but that's not a problem. Much of the book is playable as written.
And then there is--

Tonal Harmony Pro 5 app for iPad
A clever graphical interface to help you navigate the tonal harmony map. Each chord here has five possible voicings, so when you connect the chords you like, they will be played and written out for you with correct voice-leading. Impressive and very, very useful.

I hope to meet some other "option B" players here someday. It is a legitimate approach, whether SE supports it or not, and it will eventually bring new musical blood to the Stick scene.
Just so you all know what else is out there....

*The SG12 with mirrored fourths is ideal for this purpose.

--Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Option B: Play from scores, study from texts
Great advice. You also turned me on to McCoy Tyner's book which is an excellent study.

Good to hear from you MM! I look forward to any opportunity to hear about what you have to share.

Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:15 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

MM.! great to see you again, been a while.

This a really good, if not essential topic, me thinks. Like yourself, I've spent a lot of time lurking over more than half a dozen great piano books.

The Levine book is a great resource. The Alfred's group piano lessons, sounds like it would be very helpful in comparison to the reference nature of the Levine book. Well, it's only reference if you can't navigate it...

mad_monk wrote:
Many new players are anxious to get out there and perform as soon as possible. SE offers materials to get them started using chord diagrams.

I hope to meet some other "option B" players here someday. It is a legitimate approach, whether SE supports it or not, and it will eventually bring new musical blood to the Stick scene.

--Mad Monk.

The issue you've described here really is, dare I say it, central and a positive challenge surrounding the Stick. On one hand, Emmet has left it up to the individual tastes of the performer to find there own way, which is probably the one thing that makes Stick players so different. Like a Zen pallet. Inevitably though, individuals by some degree or another, are drawn to applying the established pedagogy of piano and other instruments to the Stick.

Thing is there really is so much knowledge hidden in Emmett's free Hands book, that it's easy to overlook it. It does require the student to make a conscious effort to remember what the chords, professions and melodies are, for it to become assimilated into performance and or, with other people.

One way Stickists can own the diatonic mantle AND make it their own is to make up a series of exercises based on established knowledge; from there I can begin to feel like I'm owning the "tools".

Great subject, much to discuss.

Bruv Luv

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:13 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

mad_monk wrote:

Others lurking here may aspire to play from the vast keyboard literature available for the Stick--or even to study music on the instrument. I would like to confirm that with a certain instrumental setup and tuning*, most piano method books and all theory books work as if they were written for the Stick.

I count myself as someone who uses piano music as a foundation for my learning. I really love playing Bach.

mad_monk wrote:
Here are some particularly useful ones:

Alfred's Group Piano For Adults
This program collects exercises, repertoire, and theory into 30 weekly lessons. It was designed for non-keyboard music majors but it starts at the very beginning. Classes in ear training and sight-singing (Musicianship 101 at your local JC) will help you master this material.

Jazz Piano by Mark Levine
Once your reading is good enough, you can start on a jazz method book like this very popular one. Some of the left-hand chords must be abridged for stickists but that's not a problem. Much of the book is playable as written.
And then there is--

Tonal Harmony Pro 5 app for iPad
A clever graphical interface to help you navigate the tonal harmony map. Each chord here has five possible voicings, so when you connect the chords you like, they will be played and written out for you with correct voice-leading. Impressive and very, very useful.

All great resources, thanks.

mad_monk wrote:

I don't feel it's a matter of whether SE supports this approach. A new instrument that actually has a chance of being around in another 100 years will need lots of different approaches from lots of different people. I feel that's our job and we shouldn't expect SE, Emmett, or anyone else, to try to do everything.

mad_monk wrote:

I may be the only other one with this combination and it is a wonderful way to make music. I know it seems a bit fringe to most Stick players but the advantages a mirrored 4ths tuning gives us makes it really compelling for me. I'm using what is essentially Rob Martino's tuning adapted for the higher pitched SG12. It makes learning most piano music very straightforward with mostly no compromises. My tuning takes the approach of having the lowest possible notes on the bass side with the melody side set to minimize hand conflicts. Some day I would love a 2nd SG12 that started with tuning the melody side to the highest possible note at that scale length and tuning the bass side to minimize hand conflicts. That would probably be the ultimate Stick for classical music. For instance I would be able to play all the Bach Two-Part Inventions as written instead of a 4th lower. (I can dream of multiple Sticks, can't I?)

There is a lot that can be learned from the vast amount of piano music. For me, a combination of the two approaches MM has mentioned is the most effective learning experience. I want to play fun music for non-musician friends and family. I also want to learn great music from the musical masters who have gone before us. With my limited time for music I'll just keep trying to move forward. If I can keep feeling like I'm a better player than I was a year ago I'll be happy. Even with a few major setbacks that's been true. Just keep playing, eh?

mad_monk wrote:
--Mad Monk.

Thanks, MM, it's great to hear from you. Did you see my First Invention? I'd love to get your feedback.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:15 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:30 am