It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 pm

Diving In / Intonation Stuff 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Diving In / Intonation Stuff
Had a lesson with Greg last night, which is always a good thing for me. I've definitely decided to swap over to Baritone Melody today, rather than waiting any longer. (Looks like I gotta buy the Stick Book again, but now I can get the Greg Howard Songbook!)
In talking about this, my questions (which he answered without my having to even ask) centered around the change-over, and on intonation adjustment. Here are a couple of things I didn't know, and/or never would have guessed:
1) When setting intonation, of course make sure you have a flat fretboard, and test it in the playing position, as opposed to lying flat on a table. This will eliminate any slight bowing or arching that can come from laying the instrument down. (It doesn't take much of either to mess with intonation.)
2) Don't worry if you try to play a note and a close third and it doesn't sound spot on. It won't. In short, it's because the nature of the notes' harmonics will not allow a close 3rd to sound in tune with the tonic. (This is why left-hand chords with the raised 3rd sound better. The 3rd is farther from the tonic, and the harmonic frequencies don't clash so much.)
3) You don't have to test every single note up and down the fretboard for intonation. All you should need to do is play a note on fret 2 (for example), and then play it an octave higher on the same string. Both should be in tune. Also, play a harmonic by playing the note on fret 2 while lightly touching the string at the octave fret. If the harmonic is also in tune, you're all set.
Apologies to all of you who knew this already; I just thought this was such valuable info that I wanted to share it with those who perhaps don't know it. Thanks again, Greg!!

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Thu May 08, 2014 5:23 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Diving In / Intonation Stuff
Luc, don't apologize, there are always players like me who
will find bits of info such as this useful. Thanks for sharing :-)

-Marc-

Sat May 10, 2014 1:02 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Diving In / Intonation Stuff
Thanks, Marc. I DID forget to mention one thing: early on in the lesson, Greg had also said that problems with intonation are often in the technique of the player. If you're not consistently tapping in the same manner and in the same spot behind the fret, it will have a negative influence on the intonation. (It's harder to tap consistently if you're trying to intone the instrument with it lying down on its back; hence, another reason to check it in playing position.)

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Sat May 10, 2014 4:44 am
Profile My Photo Gallery