It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:24 am

Strapless 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Strapless
Does anyone play without the shoulder strap? Due to recent medical treatments I am receiving, I have pretty serious burns to my upper chest and back. The shoulder strap kills me. I am not wanting anything permanent, just a temporary way to play without the strap. I have tried just not using it, but it seems like I have to hold the Stick in position with my left hand. I typically play sitting with a loose belt. Thanks for any suggestions.

10 String Paduak, PASV4, MR, #4858
12 String Bamboo, Stickup, MR, #5550

Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:48 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Strapless
There is one well known Stick player who is always strapless, Bob Culbertson. He uses a lap bar when he sits and that might work. The lap bar I made is not thin and has a wide base. My Stick will sit on the bar on my lap and not fall forward or back. The other option that might work would be to put your Stick on a floor stand like Gene Perry.

I hope your situation is resolved soon. That sucks.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Post Strapless
Hey Eric. I thought about that. I played several years using a bamboo lap bar, but, being round, I still needed the strap. Plus I would have to readjust my belt hook. I don't know that I want to go to all that trouble, as the radiation treatment will end next week, and I'm hoping the burns heal quickly after that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Bob's lap bar completely replace the belt hook. Isn't the bar screwed into the Stick where the belt hook would normally go?

I had stopped playing completely for the first four weeks of the treatment due to other pain, but that has mostly resolved, and I'm going through Stick withdrawal. Anyway, I may give the lap bar a try.

Jim Storm

10 String Paduak, PASV4, MR, #4858
12 String Bamboo, Stickup, MR, #5550

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:54 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I would go back to using your old lap bar anyway, because it should give your Stick a flat, more stable surface to rest on, so there should be less side-to-side movement, and it takes some strain off your lower back.
If you still miss the additional stability from the shoulder strap, maybe you could take a small piece of rope or cord, and connect the shoulder strap of your Stick to your belt or a belt loop in your pants (toward your right side) with it. It might still come into occasional contact with your chest, but that will hopefully be minimized. (Maybe pad it?) If it doesn't work, it cost you next to nothing.
Good luck with EVERYTHING!!

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Nice layering of vocals!

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

jstorm1031 wrote:
doesn't Bob's lap bar completely replace the belt hook. Isn't the bar screwed into the Stick where the belt hook would normally go?

That was not the case last summer at the Interlochen workshop. Bob had a wooden bar that was just the right size to snugly snap into the belt hook. He does play standing up and then uses the belt hook with his belt. His lap bar has an angled flat bottom which helps keep the Stick stable.

Mine has a larger base than his, here's a picture of it on my lap.
Attachment:
lapBar1.jpg

jstorm1031 wrote:
I had stopped playing completely for the first four weeks of the treatment due to other pain, but that has mostly resolved, and I'm going through Stick withdrawal.

I am sharing your withdrawal pains. I injured myself a few weeks ago and I won't be able to play Stick for many months. Hang in there!

jstorm1031 wrote:
Anyway, I may give the lap bar a try.

Jim Storm

Good luck to you, sir!

-Eric

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I prefer to play sitting down as I find it more comfortable. My first lap bar (an old drumstick) put the Stick too high, so now I use a wooden coat hangar with the cross piece removed. Because of the shape my Stick sits at exactly the right hight now.
Okay, it doesn't look very elegant, but it does the job (and I have plenty more if I break it).
Sorry to hear about your injury, hope you find a solution to your problem :)

-Marc-

Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:51 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

when i play sitting down i use the loose belt routine and i hardly ever use the shoulder strap. it just sits better. the Stick is usually resting on the shoulder though, although it can "float". hope this helps

Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:21 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Eliah Levy plays without one as well. ...

Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:21 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery