It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:24 am

Old strings and intonation 

Post Old strings and intonation
Hoping this is a good board for the question.
Intonation, with guitars it can be caused by old strings. I realise there are many other things that could be the cause, but, for now i am only curious to learn if sticks have this issue, and if so, how often the strings should generally be changed, to avoid it?
Followup to the above, does SE get strings to us rapidly enough when we order them? I would Hate to go 12-14 months between practices because of a string issue! :lol: Or would it be good, or possible, to use strings made for another instrument?

Grandstick@yahoo.com

Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:56 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Old strings and intonation
To remove stress in your life, why not have a spare set of strings in your gig bag? If one or two strings aren't behaving properly, swap em out. You can always order individual strings to make your spare set whole again. 8-)

I use a lot of pitch bending and sliding when I play. Stretching the strings to the extremes most likely is not helping with intonation. Sometimes, I get so wound up in the music that I don't notice that I'm out of tune. When I take the time to tune the instrument again, it sounds different. I prefer to play a bit out of tune at times, it's very organic and not sterile.

Sempil wrote:
Hoping this is a good board for the question.
Intonation, with guitars it can be caused by old strings. I realise there are many other things that could be the cause, but, for now i am only curious to learn if sticks have this issue, and if so, how often the strings should generally be changed, to avoid it?
Followup to the above, does SE get strings to us rapidly enough when we order them? I would Hate to go 12-14 months between practices because of a string issue! :lol: Or would it be good, or possible, to use strings made for another instrument?

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Last edited by WerkSpace on Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:42 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Sempil wrote:
Followup to the above, does SE get strings to us rapidly enough when we order them?

I'm my experience the answer is a clear yes.

Though I'm only a little over a year into my Stick adventure it's been with pre-owned Sticks and I've been experimenting with various tunings so I've placed several string orders. Each order has been despatched promptly by Jeff. :)

I'm in the UK, which obviously complicated delivery, but SE to me by UPS has typically been 10-16 days.

My last order (for a 'flat' belt hook mount) was in my hands in just under a week! Both I & Jeff were amazed. It was just after New Year and I think we must have hit a quiet time for the carriers or somesuch?

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:59 am

Excellent! Thank you both!

Grandstick@yahoo.com

Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:52 am