It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:56 pm

Tuning stick when you can’t read music 

Post Tuning stick when you can’t read music
I am a newbie to stick, but I play several stringed instruments, by ear. I am in a quandary of what to use as a basis to tune my stick. 1. It would be helpful to know what specific piano keys relate to each of the 10 strings on stick. I have seen the generic piano range graphic, but it just shows the range, not specific notes (keys). 2. On guitar, I use a tuning fork to tune string 1, then fret positions to tune the others. Is there a similar method to tune stick once one string is on-key? Help with both of these items will give me a good start.

Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:50 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Tuning stick when you can’t read music
Golde66 wrote:
I am a newbie to stick, but I play several stringed instruments, by ear. I am in a quandary of what to use as a basis to tune my stick. 1. It would be helpful to know what specific piano keys relate to each of the 10 strings on stick. I have seen the generic piano range graphic, but it just shows the range, not specific notes (keys). 2. On guitar, I use a tuning fork to tune string 1, then fret positions to tune the others. Is there a similar method to tune stick once one string is on-key? Help with both of these items will give me a good start.

There are audio files you can use for reference at the bottom of this page:

https://stick.com/instruments/tech/

It tells you which frets to play each string on to get the note in the audio file. Which tuning do you have?

Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

There are several different tunings for the Stick.
Here's the classic tuning for a 10 string instrument.
https://stick.com/instruments/tunings/10/classic/
https://stick.com/instruments/tunings/

Golde66 wrote:

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:20 pm

Greg, The mp-3 tuning files were exactly what I needed. Thanks! I have been enjoying your YouTube videos as guidance for technique; and, listening pleasure. Very helpful!

Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:31 pm