It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:45 pm

Dual-4ths bass I think I'm going to order 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Dual-4ths bass I think I'm going to order
I want to run this by you folks to poke holes in my idea. I'll probably still do it, but I'd like some thoughts on this... I've been absent from the board (and playing my SG12) for a long time.. Haven't been playing music at all, really.

With modern technology I've found a lot of enjoyment playing bass along with songs. I'd rather be tapping, so I just gave a try at playing my SG12 in mirrored 4ths for the bass part I was playing and (aside from the octave) it worked really well. So now I'm thinking of a Stick replacement for a bass that will work for me: A hobbiest who plays purely for my own enjoyment, will never play in a band, and just want to play what I want the way I want, because that's how I enjoy it. The materials I use to learn and play are created for bass, so my Stick needs to be in 4ths. I don't want to do the mental gymnastics to transpose to 5ths.

So I think I'd like a Stick (probably 10 string, maybe 8) with the center strings being the lowest, going up in 4ths towards both sides.

The "Melody" would have E in the center and the "Bass" side would have Bb in the center.

I think this would allow for plenty of room on the fretboard for both hands to coordinate.

#6054 Bamboo SG12, ACTV-2, mirrored 4ths piano
#5518 Rosewood 10 String Grand, PASV4, MR

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:59 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Dual-4ths bass I think I'm going to order
Read the posts about DBR. Not going to try to talk you into 5ths, just recommending 12 strings - it will give you some extra higher strings and the spacing isn't (to me) an issue. I know what you mean - I would rather tap these days, I'm SO much more comfortable tapping than playing any of my other stringed instruments, bass or guitar. I just feel at home with a Stick more than any other instrument, whether trying to play a song or write. Others might say, "Why would you want an instrument with bass on both sides?" I say, WHY NOT?!!! (don't get me started on pickups, I like them all)

Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:07 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I was just thinking (uh oh) you could order a couple extra strings and try 5ths on the top two BASS-side strings. It would leave the inside 4 on the bass side in 4ths and give you different note possibilities...

Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:24 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Go with 5ths in the bass... Try toe Dual Bass Recirical... It will give you what you want with out having to rely on staying in 4ths... It will make your lines more creative, IMHO

Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:42 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hey Powagoat.

From one goat to another, goats are stubborn and stubbornness can be harnessed to creative effect...... Sorry just carrying on. :lol:

If you want the closest thing to a bass then what about the NS Stick?

DBR is a wicked tuning which could work well. Don't forget 5ths in the bass is just 4ths upside down. Might the question be how you do you want to play, that is SB8, 10 or 12 string versus NS.?

Having said all that, I think there are a few folk who have gone with 4ths in both sides. Like some folk have already said, I would go with DBR. I think there may be some difficulty with the notes lining up fret for fret if you go with 4ths in both sides. DBR will give you the bass range you're after, speaking for myself, I can't wait to get a stick in DBR.

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:10 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Nice to see you here again!

Just to help with the decision making process - what do you envision you might want to do with the two bass regions, with strings going in each direction from the center, as opposed to a straight 4ths instrument like an NS/Stick? Is the idea to have the whole instrument in the bass guitar range and not focus too much on chords/melody?

Rosewood Grand Stick #7025 - Mirrored 4ths 5+7
Paduak Grand Stick #5197 - Mirrored 4ths 6+6

Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:58 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I've mentioned this in the past, I'm having a ball with my SB-8 that is set up like two electric bass guitars, the melody side is E A D G electric bass guitar tuning [and gauges too !!] while the bass side is the standard Classic Stick tuning of C G D A but those are like electric bass guitar gauges as well, so yes loads of bass, and this was not my idea, actually Grace floated something to this effect which after a year and a half of time, I jumped on it once S.E. had a used SB-8 for sale. I think Emmett liked the idea as well, but seriously - if you want loads and loads of bass-ness, to me this is the only way to go.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ironwood #285, Classic [flatwounds]
Ironwood #1855, Classic [roundwounds]

SB-8 Padauk #1788, Classic CGDA, Electric Bass EADG
RB-8 Drk Blue w/Black Headstock # 6739, Crafty Tuning

NS Stick Transparent Green w/Moses neck #90120, 8-string Guitar Intervals

Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:37 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Love that autograph, George. :-)

Bamboo Grand #7363 MR ACTV2, Tarara Grand #5677 MR PASV4
Tap In Time Podcast: tapintime.podbean.com/

Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:59 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Again, read the recent deluge of deciding what kind of Stick, NS/Stick, how many strings, & tunings. Being you have a SG-12 for something DIFFERENT a 12-string DBR with 5ths bass is a great idea. You have 4ths bass in the melody, which you can approach with either hand (or both), AND the 5ths bass in the bass, opening up new ideas and expression which you can approach with either hand (or both). I'm repeating myself because I can't emphasize enough how cool a 12-string DBR Stick is. That is my second Stick, the first one (I still have) an Ironwood '85 10-string Classic tuning. The DBR is the one I play (and write on) every day, I play the Ironwood when I want the Stickup sound (I have PASV4 and ACTV2 on the DBR) and a fourths higher range in the melody. Also, it's not that the DBR doesn't go high enough in the melody, it's I don't have to go as high up the neck, and timbre preferences. I like the DBR for it's timbre differences in the low range - melody vs. bass side, as well as being able to play in the higher range (12 vs. 10). The highest note on the bass side is higher than the highest note on the melody...Stick THAT in yer pipe & smoke it! Best wishes in your choice selection...any Stick is better than none, and you can tune it any way you want down the line (another reason for 12 strings) I've tried every tuning except 4ths both sides and know I need TWO Sticks - one Classic and one DBR. I'm getting off my pulpit now...

Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

There was an FHF that detailed this if you're interested.

Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery