It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm

Alternative postures and Stick position 

Post Alternative postures and Stick position
Hey folks,

I'm curious to know if anyone uses alternative methods for holding the stick other than the 30 degree angle up the torso as Greg and Emmett recommend? I've seen clips of guys in a seated position holding the stick across their lap at more of a 40-45 degree as they would a guitar, which I kind of like. As a newb, it helps me see where my fingers are going. I've also seen guys standing with the stick at a greater than 30 degree angle. I know the recommended position reduces stress on the wrist, etc. but as I said I'm just curious.

Thx,
Brian

Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:30 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Alternative postures and Stick position
This fellow seems to have it figured out.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdbi1Qzu4uQ[/youtube]
BTW, I play lying down, flat on my back. The stick is my way of relaxing.
BrianG61 wrote:
Hey folks,
I'm curious to know if anyone uses alternative methods for holding the stick other than the 30 degree angle up the torso as Greg and Emmett recommend? I've seen clips of guys in a seated position holding the stick across their lap at more of a 40-45 degree as they would a guitar, which I kind of like. As a newb, it helps me see where my fingers are going. I've also seen guys standing with the stick at a greater than 30 degree angle. I know the recommended position reduces stress on the wrist, etc. but as I said I'm just curious.

Thx,
Brian

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:05 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

The greatest benefit besides a more comfortable wrist angle is the improved reach you get for playing chords in the left hand with a more vertical position.

If you want to play chords where some notes are sustained while others are articulated (something Bob and I both do quite a bit), then a more vertical angle is pretty essential, especially if that chord is the basic major triad. He holds his instrument up even higher than I do.

This video clearly shows the relationship of hand angle (and also tilting back toward the shoulder) to chord access:

Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:14 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
This video clearly shows the relationship of hand angle (and also tilting back toward the shoulder) to chord access:
I admit that sometimes with the DBro holder, I'll be leaning back quite a bit and my Stick gets tilted quite a bit--more so than good posture and my Mom would like, but I'm a sloucher when I sit anyway. To push it to ridiculousness, I know some prominent Stickists--Werkspace!--who play quite comfortably laying flat on their backs with their Sticks laying on top of them. I'm more of a half-way sloucher.

But get them Sticks up!

Quote:
"Sometimes we feel like a small ant crushed under a big Stick, but then we keep Sticking with it!"

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:53 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I'd like so much to play with this 30 degree position but...because I had a huge surgery in 2012 I cannot play this way and I adopted the 40-45 degree position...most of the time seated. Sometimes I feel I cannot play better and I become discouraged to a point where I want to sell my stick...and suddenly I realize that I can't do it...not now let's say. I'm getting older also and I don't learn fast like before...it doesn't help...but I do my best...I'm not in a process where I want to be a performer but more in a way to have fun with this instrument...no more, no less.

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:41 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Alain wrote:
I'd like so much to play with this 30 degree position but...because I had a huge surgery in 2012 I cannot play this way and I adopted the 40-45 degree position...most of the time seated. Sometimes I feel I cannot play better and I become discouraged to a point where I want to sell my stick...and suddenly I realize that I can't do it...not now let's say. I'm getting older also and I don't learn fast like before...it doesn't help...but I do my best...I'm not in a process where I want to be a performer but more in a way to have fun with this instrument...no more, no less.
Alain,

The Stick takes all comers. There is no "right" way to play it, but there are "pathways..." It will always be there for you... unless you sell it ;)

Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:04 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
Alain wrote:
Alain,

The Stick takes all comers. There is no "right" way to play it, but there are "pathways..." It will always be there for you... unless you sell it ;)

No, I don't want to sell it. It's a bit longer than I was thinking about when I started it 6 years ago. There is one thing I'm proud of and it's the way I understand the instrument, the path I use to improvise on it and many different things I do. I don't learn songs 'cause my interest is not there but I improvise and I use chords progressions to express some personal musical ideas. I chose (I think) a longer way to learn but maybe that'll pay off one day. At the beginning I posted some videos to show where my evolution was. Now I think different...I'm working my inside feelings and I'll come out one day with what I could call "compositions".

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:23 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanks everyone for your replies. I actually looked up an an image of what a 30 degree angle looks like. I should have done that first, or at least given some thought to my High School geometry classes. It seems my eyes were backward. What I thought was 30 degrees was actually between 60 and 80 degrees, and what I thought was 45 degrees was actually the 30 degrees. More importantly I forgot it was to be 30 degrees from vertical not horizontal. D'oh!

Brian

Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:54 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'm a big proponent of Gregs playing position, from an ergonomic standpoint, it presents the best way for chord shapes in both hands.....no unnecessary wrist bending.
If you are new to the Stick, try this stance out.....you will get used to it.

cheers,
kev

Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I find I have to "listen to my body" in terms of posture and angles.

If I forget proper form, my body "reminds" me, usually through aches and pains!

If I forget to sit up straight and instead slouch, my Stick session "rewards" me with a few hours of an aching back or stiff neck.

If I "type write" instead of moving my forearms and hands, my fingers get fatigued very quickly and sometimes stiffen up afterwards.

If I keep my left elbow/arm at the wrong angle, this leads to bizarre reaching or a 90-degree-plus bend in my wrist, which results in all sorts of problems in short order.

When Greg described his general concept of using more (or all) or your body to play the Stick, it made sense to me because of copious amounts of ergonomic feedback my body sent me letting me know when I was doing it "the hard way."

So, I make sure I get my Stick at the right height, the right angle, sit up straight, keep my elbows out enough, and alter the angles/positions of my hands/ forearms as needed to address the needs of the chords I am playing or the reaches I am trying to make. Yes, I still often forget....but then my body lets me know. lol

Ancient 10-String Brazilian Ironwood #881

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:13 am