It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 pm

Is it possible... 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Is it possible...
Bob, what Greg said about the arc of the fingers is the reason Emmett designed the Stick thus. To restring with the fatty on top would pose some pretty ugly hand gymnastics in the left hand. This is probably why Andre plays the bass side uncrossed with his particular string arrangement.
Think about your hand as a "fan" so to speak, or like a dove tail.....scribing an arc as you separate your fingers.

The string arrangement on the Stick makes a lot of sense, and ergonomically; it is a super logical approach.

Do you have a Stick yet? I can't remember if you mentioned it or not and I cant read the thread right now because I'm typing this response.....ehehe

cheers,
Kan Olah

Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:09 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

greg wrote:
Bob, having the low notes in the center means the string group opens out more in the shape of the hand, especially with chords. Even with the left hand tuned in 5ths and the melody in 4ths, the arc of the fingertips fits the inside out tunings better.

Considering that the lowest string is likely to be played much more than the highest in a bass string group, not having to reach over the entire width of the board all the time is also a benefit. The hand can stay more relaxed.

Bob,

I play a number of instruments including guitar and bass for 40+ years. Stick now for about 7 years. What Greg said is absolutely correct. This is especially true when you want to play bass/chords in the left hand while you play melody/harmony/chords with the right. With inverted 5th tuning in the left hand, you can play bass/chord voicings with over a 2 octave reach. Bass side of a Stick is much more than a bass guitar.

Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:49 am
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you all very much!

I have to confess this instrument is a bit intimidating. So many choices - both in tuning and particular instruments. 8,10,12 strings, now the alto and SG12 models. It's a bit overwelming, but you guys have helped a lot! I really appreciate it.

#6877 Rosewood, 12 String Grand, PASV-4, turquoise linear inlays and Pearl Gray tuners, tuned in Mirrored 4ths

Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:31 am

Fret spacing on a grand is close to a bass. I made a paper model and layed out the notes for different tunings. I did mine on 1/4 inch graph paper but it could also be done closer to full size. If you have some idea of the type of music and your approach to accompaniment side you could dry run some portions of songs. Some of the tunings vary a little (whole step) - some more significantly (4ths versus 5ths). The stick is capable of being adjusted for the different tunings - by you or by Stick Enterprises. The teaching DVD's (available from Stick Enterprises) by Bob, Greg and Steve with techniques for playing the stick may help with decisions but also could fuel the "want" which may lead to "wait".

deep red railboard grand

Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:52 pm
Contributor
Contributor

So much to learn, and a lot of it is language to be able to convey thoughts and concepts.

I've been reading about crossed vs uncrossed hands. Can you tell me more about this?

It seems like with the conventional tuning, the lower register of the melody can be blocked by the players left hand. It seems like the benefit of uncrossed tuning, (same intervals, but bass and melody switching sides) the hands done interfere with each other because left hand plays base on the left side, and right hand plays melody on the right side, rather than reaching across the board.

What are the down sides of this? Probably should post this on a different thread since its a different topic.

#6877 Rosewood, 12 String Grand, PASV-4, turquoise linear inlays and Pearl Gray tuners, tuned in Mirrored 4ths

Last edited by ArmyDoc on Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:35 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I like to tune my 36" Stick a half note higher than the tuning recommended for the set of strings I'm using. The reason is to get more "twang timbre" and "faster playing response" out of the instrument. But I wouldn't dare to go higher because doing so would probably make strings snap too often.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery