It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 am

Theoretical Tuning 

Post Re: Theoretical Tuning
My experiments with alternate tunings usually play out as follows: its fun for a while, but after the novelty wears off, I come to reappreciate the thought and wisdom of Emmett's bass in 5ths / melody in 4ths systems.

For a while, I played around with a Crafty tuning (melody in 5ths / bass in 4ths). This had the predictable results: easier to play stepwise / scalar bass lines but bass chording was more difficult or muddy; easier to play big interval leaps in melody, but stepwise melodies were harder to come by and it became very hard to form close voiced chords. There seemed, overall, to be fewer options and flexibility. I am sure it could be made to work if someone stuck with it, but it would really take some work to develop different chord diagrams and change ones technique somewhat. I found that getting stuck with mostly muddy bass chords and not being able to make closed voice melody chords as easily to be the biggest drawbacks.

It did, of course, sound a bit more Crimson-y with the melody in 5ths, but eventually I returned to baritone melody-standard bass.

Emmett knew what he was doing when he came up with the Stick tuning concept.

Ancient 10-String Brazilian Ironwood #881

Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:14 am

Claire,

thanks for another great link to yet another of Greg's excellent videos!
Most helpful.

Wumeijiu Railboard #6783
Raised Matched Reciprocal

Last edited by Jolyon on Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:00 am

March Hare,

I'm sure you are absolutely correct. I was just curious that there was one (all 4ths) and not the other (all 5ths). Looking forward to getting my hands on a Stick and switching from theoretical dreaming to actual experience.

Wumeijiu Railboard #6783

Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:02 am

Kevin,

thanks for that, I'm sure that you are correct! Most helpful. Always enjoy reading your posts, keep up the good work.

Wumeijiu Railboard #6783

Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:06 am