It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:18 am

Questions About The Documentary 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Questions About The Documentary
Hi Everybody.

I'm opening this topic to general questions regarding my documentary EMMETT. Please feel free to ask questions that relate to the making of it or the story, etc. It's very rewarding to hear about your interest in the film, the subject, your feedback... Anything I can answer, I'll be more than happy to engage with you.

No doubt most of you have seen my trailer below. It has been up on my CHAPDOC site for a very long while. In case haven't, here it is again. I'm working on a new cut this month in preparation for the 5th Anniversary celebration of the Musical Instrument Museum in Scottsdale, AZ. I'll be there to show new 10-15 minute clips from the film in between performances by Emmett & Steve Adelson.

See MIM info here:
http://mimmusictheater.themim.org/steve-adelson-emmett-chapman-music-chapman-stick

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:04 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Questions About The Documentary
Hey Dan,

It didn't occur to me while watching it at the FHA last summer, or I would have mentioned it. I could be remembering incorrectly, but I think that expanding on Emmett's conflict between performing and manufacturing could be an excellent inclusion. To come up with something so great to express yourself with, but sacrifice that expression so that others could express themselves. And not just create it, but improve and refine it so dramatically. It's so remarkably selfless!

Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

AndyJPro wrote:
expanding on Emmett's conflict between performing and manufacturing... To come up with something so great to express yourself with, but sacrifice that expression so that others could express themselves.

You got it, Andy! That is a key theme that has been there from the beginning.

I do state it, probably more subtly than I could. And there is definitely a lot of room to expand that and many other facets of the story.

Community is a huge theme. The people who helped it catch fire.

Dealing with the fire, etc.

Thanks for your post. Getting sleepy now. I just took my melatonin. :)

cheers

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:27 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

It's a must see for every Stick player - anywhere. It's also a must see for anyone that's ever been passionate about anything, not just music.

It should be noted that Dan was very active at the inception of the Free Hands Academy. He helped to scout the location, met with the AJU faculty and generally, worked with me to make each Stick Night in Bel-Air successful.

This same passion is at the center of this documentary. It needs to be seen, heard and experienced to understand just how much Emmett (and his family) have contributed to not just the tapping community or Progressive music but to the general greater good of creative expression.

This documentary belongs at Sundance. It's relevant, moving and not just so for Stick players - it's just incredible to see how much has been vested in the creation of this instrument through his vision.

Dan - I am always hopeful that your excellent work on this will find it's way into the hands of those that can bring this to the next level - it's time.

Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

One thing you and I have talked about that needs to be done is to get Yuta on camera. Anytime you want to get into that gimme a shout. The other thing I would say is to get a real in depth tour of the shop featuring everyone who works there. Pending approval of course.....

Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:45 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Captain Strings wrote:
One thing you and I have talked about that needs to be done is to getYuta on camera. Anytime you want to get into that gimme a shout.
Thanks a heap, Michael. I will be travelling with Em & Yuta to Arizona on 4/20. I've got some things planned. :)

Captain Strings wrote:
The other thing I would say is to get a real in depth tour of the shop featuring everyone who works there. Pending approval of course.....
Abso-friggin'-lutely. Like my son Yumi, who has worked there for 13 years !!! I do need a current session, because things have evolved quite a bit at SE in the last 2-3 years. I've done a few shooting tours in the course of this long project. All turned out very fruitful. I got one of the best statements at one of these sessions from Em's daughter, Gracie. Some have seen it at the FHA. Hint: it starts out with "My girlfriends?"

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:03 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

earthgene wrote:
It's a must see for every Stick player - anywhere. It's also a must see for anyone that's ever been passionate about anything, not just music.

It should be noted that Dan was very active at the inception of the Free Hands Academy. He helped to scout the location, met with the AJU faculty and generally, worked with me to make each Stick Night in Bel-Air successful.
Thank you Gene. You are a mensch. A stickmensch. :)

earthgene wrote:
This same passion is at the center of this documentary. It needs to be seen, heard and experienced to understand just how much Emmett (and his family) have contributed to not just the tapping community or Progressive music but to the general greater good of creative expression.
That's right. The story transcends music. Definitely about passion. Invention. Freedom (which has a price). Sticktuitiveness. Hard work. American ingenuity. Loyalty and betrayal. Great human themes.

Reading through a lot of the comments from regular folks about Bob's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" thread on Facebook has given me new hope for my documentary. I felt a little discouraged that I wasn't lighting the world on fire with my efforts. People here and on my social media circles all seem a bit jaded about The Stick. But reading through these posts from people around the US and the world has made me realize that I live in an very insular world.

People out there are genuinely blown away by this instrument and this new way of playing music. WIthout seeing it, people don't understand what they're hearing. That was a problem in 1974. And after 40 years, it's still a matter of exposure to the public. It took technology to catch up to Free Hands and The Stick.

earthgene wrote:
This documentary belongs at Sundance.
From your lips to God's ears.

earthgene wrote:
It's relevant, moving and not just so for Stick players - it's just incredible to see how much has been vested in the creation of this instrument through his vision.
I never did make this documentary for "the choir." From the start, my target has always been a general audience. Even people who don't care about music. I know I'm biased, but I think what Emmett has done is universal.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:29 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

LADC wrote:
Sticktuitiveness.

:lol:

Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:08 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Nomad Monday wrote:
LADC wrote:
Sticktuitiveness.

:lol:
If you had been at the FHA 2014 screening, Mr. Monday, :) you would have seen the definition of the word (below) that begins my doc.

FYI, It can be spelled both ways.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:35 pm