It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 am

EMMETT goes to FRANCE 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post EMMETT goes to FRANCE
In November 2005 Emmett and I went to France. He was invited by a cultural community center sponsored by the French government (CLAC). The French Association of Stick and Tap Guitar was putting on an event that brought people throughout Europe.

Wow. That was nearly 10 years ago. Sunday the oscar will probably go to director Richard Linklater for his 12 year project, "Boyhood." No big deal. Documentary directors do this all the time. :)

After seeing the stickist thread about Youenn Landreau, I was reminded how amazing he was at organizing this sensational concert event and how he made our trip the most memorable that I've experienced. The culmination of the concert on that last Saturday was a true sensation - the pièce de résistance. No one does it like the French. I will be sharing more of this incredible event and the many things I've shot on my long documentary road. Thanks Youenn and all the French stickists! For your hospitality and your immense talent.

For now, here are a string of clips of the France segment from my documentary. Featuring "Ar Seiz Eizh Aes" (Easy 7/8) a composition by Youenn Landreau, performed by Youenn with the famous Alain Pennec playing accordion. Also seen are Youenn playing "Sur La Plage" (On The Beach) written and performed by Theirry Carpentier in concrert with Jo Ruffier and Jim Lampi at the International Tap Guitar Festival in Allaire, France.

There's a brief TV news clip of a prime time Friday night announcement of the event on France 3TV. All the performers and attendees were invited to stay at the homes of folks in this wonderful town of Allaire (in Brittany). Emmett and I were staying at the pastoral home of Dr. Collin Gil. That evening as we were resting and preparing for the first of two concerts, we hear Gil shouting, "Come quick, Emmett will be on TV." He popped in a tape cassette and recorded what you see here.

On Sunday, the last day of our visit, we invited a group of people to Dr. Gil's house. That's where I interviewed Jim Lampi, Jo Ruffier and others for my doc. Youenn brought his old friend Alain (who also served as the main chef for the event) to play their incroyable song, sitting in front of the fireplace.

It was an unforgettable experience.

AFSTG (l'Association Française de Stick et de Tape Guitare)
The French Association of Stick and Tap Guitar

CLAC (Centre de Loisirs d' Animation Culturelle)
Leisure Centre Cultural Animation

http://www.alain-pennec.com/

http://www.stick.com/artists/artistfeatures/0607landreau/

http://www.stick.com/sticknews/archives/280/chapman.html

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:53 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: EMMETT goes to FRANCE
Saw this on Facebook. This is a fantastic clip! Thanks, Dan! Well done! All thumbs up, my friend! :)

//Jan

-Mobilis in mobil-

Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:28 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Thanks Jan. It's great to hear responses. It means a lot to me.

Right now I'm working on a segment shot on the last day of the 2014 Free Hands Academy. It's very emotional and communal.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:48 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

LADC wrote:
Thanks Jan. It's great to hear responses. It means a lot to me.

Right now I'm working on a segment shot on the last day of the 2014 Free Hands Academy. It's very emotional and communal.

Thanks for doing this, Dan. Important work. Oh. And why don´t you tag along to the Stick Camp on Mallorca this september? Bring your camera. Wine is on me! ;)

-Mobilis in mobil-

Last edited by Jan Hellman on Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:27 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Great stuff Dan. I remember you telling about that trip and some of the incidents and personalities you guys encountered but seeing it on video is really great. That whole thing resonates with me because I grew up in France as an Army brat but haven't been back in many decades. Seeing this reminds me that "Yes - it's still there just as I left it".

Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:53 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Thanks Michael. There's something about France.

At the end of the last concert, they played "Brazil" and it was like being at the Mardi Gras.
Top notch sound production too.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:23 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Jan Hellman wrote:
Thanks for doing this, Dan. Important work. Oh. And why don´t you tag along to the Stick Camp on Mallorca this september? Bring your camera. Wine is on me! ;)

You're very welcome. And thank you for your support.

I definitely want to go. The Allaire travel expense was paid by the French government. Gene suggested a Kickstarter campaign.

I keep shooting and have a great story to tell, but the groundswell of interest and support is less than I was expecting. Sure... Join the club, Right?

When you watch this segment, Emmett says to the France 3TV reporters: "When I started out, I thought this would be an instrument that would catch on quickly. Then I learned how hard it is to build."

Documentaries are difficult to get off the ground without the right combination of forces coming together. The art of filmmaking is communal by nature, and so far it's just been me pushing this project forward. I do need help.

Hopefully with the release of Jim Reilly's biography, STICKMAN, people will see more value in what I'm doing.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:42 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

super cool!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

https://www.facebook.com/rulyongo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQk_6T ... rOoBXeHHUA

Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:41 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

LADC wrote:
Jan Hellman wrote:

You're very welcome. And thank you for your support.

I definitely want to go. The Allaire travel expense was paid by the French government. Gene suggested a Kickstarter campaign.

I keep shooting and have a great story to tell, but the groundswell of interest and support is less than I was expecting. Sure... Join the club, Right?

When you watch this segment, Emmett says to the France 3TV reporters: "When I started out, I thought this would be an instrument that would catch on quickly. Then I learned how hard it is to build."

Documentaries are difficult to get off the ground without the right combination of forces coming together. The art of filmmaking is communal by nature, and so far it's just been me pushing this project forward. I do need help.

Hopefully with the release of Jim Reilly's biography, STICKMAN, people will see more value in what I'm doing.

A follow up would be great. "EMMET goes to SPAIN". :) A kick starter campaign would perhaps work. Will PM you. I have an idea....

Sincerely//Jan

-Mobilis in mobil-

Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:47 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Thanks so much for your responses. Any suggestions are always much appreciated.

EMMETT goes to FRANCE is just a brief sampling of cuts from our Allaire trip, that I was incorporated into my most recent work-in-progress. That travel segment was also in the version I showed at FHA 2014.

We shot so much more stuff there. In fact there's enough great music, energy and emotion to make a separate documentary of its own.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:31 pm