It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:18 pm

EMMETT goes to FRANCE 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: EMMETT goes to FRANCE
Great documentary, Dan! Funny how the French say "Le Stick Chapman". Funny how they can speak so well without laughing, it's like they just don't hear how funny they sound. (Sorry, France... just kidding. I spoke quite ok French a while up until I tried to learn Portuguese, that effort scrambled everything in my brain except for English and some n00b-ish German). It's a mystery to me how the Stick can not take over the entire world! I'm using the SG-12 right now scoring a short Swedish fiction movie and the director is very pleased and confident to win prices and stuff, so hopefully that will bring out the word around here (if people just don't go "nice guitar" and forget about it).

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:53 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Thanks Per.

EMMETT goes to FRANCE is just a brief 4:44 min segment. The EMMETT documentary will be a full 90 minute feature. I've been building story ideas and following the natural developments since 11/03, when I started shooting at the World Stick Seminar in San Jose. Some quick clips from San Jose are mixed into the Allaire footage seen here.

I really like the moment when Youenn Landreau tells Emmett "No, no no. We're here for you." Emmett is personally inclined to kneel down as he stands out in front of so many other stickists.

I was seriously studying French in 1981. I was planning to move there. A family friend was a successful clothing manufacturer in Lyon. He offered to help me set up my design business there. I was pretty excited about that. At that time in my life, I was ready for big change. Then change came in an unexpected way. I met my wife, Yuki. :)

Congratulations on your movie score gig. Let us know when it's released.
BTW what do you mean by your comment below? It's not completely clear to me.

Per Boysen wrote:
the director is very pleased and confident to win prices and stuff

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

LADC wrote:
BTW what do you mean by your comment below? It's not completely clear to me.

Per Boysen wrote:
the director is very pleased and confident to win prices and stuff

I think Per meant "prizes," rather than "prices."

Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:16 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Robstafarian wrote:
Yes, Robsta's correct as usual! I have this tiny problem with my brain in that it is too slow for my typist fingers. P-R-I-Z-E-S is the way to go for ambitious directors since there isn't a commercial market for new Swedish film.

Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

LADC wrote:
EMMETT goes to FRANCE is just a brief 4:44 min segment. The EMMETT documentary will be a full 90 minute feature.
Thanks for the explanation! Now I understand how I could have seen some of the scenes before.

Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:57 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Per Boysen wrote:
Robstafarian wrote:
Yes, Robsta's correct as usual! I have this tiny problem with my brain in that it is too slow for my typist fingers. P-R-I-Z-E-S is the way to go for ambitious directors since there isn't a commercial market for new Swedish film.

OK. Got it.

Ah yes. The festival circuit. Then we put "laurels" on our posters and great testimonial quotes. This is all part of the business of film marketiing, which I am very familiar with. I've been doing this kind of work since 1987. You can see samples of my portfolio here:

http://www.chapman-design.com/

But making a documentary is a very different animal. Even the top fictional film directors can be challenged by it.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:02 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

LADC wrote:
EMMETT goes to FRANCE is just a brief 4:44 min segment. The EMMETT documentary will be a full 90 minute feature. I've been building story ideas and following the natural developments since 11/03, when I started shooting at the World Stick Seminar in San Jose.]

The runtime for version we showed at the Free Hands Academy 2014 was 41:33 minutes... so that's about halfway there, right? :shock:

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:06 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

neat. i like the "Stick-over-the-head" rallying cry

Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Per Boysen wrote:
Great documentary, Dan! Funny how the French say "Le Stick Chapman". Funny how they can speak so well without laughing, it's like they just don't hear how funny they sound. (Sorry, France... just kidding. I spoke quite ok French a while up until I tried to learn Portuguese, that effort scrambled everything in my brain except for English and some n00b-ish German). It's a mystery to me how the Stick can not take over the entire world! I'm using the SG-12 right now scoring a short Swedish fiction movie and the director is very pleased and confident to win prices and stuff, so hopefully that will bring out the word around here (if people just don't go "nice guitar" and forget about it).

I was also surprised to hear...Le Stick Chapman...the first time. I have to say that we speak french in a very different way here in Québec, Canada. We keep a lot of english way of speaking. In this particular case we can say...Le Chapman Stick...lol. We use a lot of english words when we speak french. The accent is completely different too....in french and english...

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:49 am
Profile My Photo Gallery