It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:50 pm

Doc Talk on Free Hands Friday 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Doc Talk on Free Hands Friday
I'm excited to be the featured guest for this week's FHF - Free Hands Friday 3/14/14 10:30am PST

I'm sure some of you at stickist.com have been wondering what's going on with "EMMETT" the documentary. I've been working on it unaffiliated with any organization or distributor for for ten years. The average documentary takes 7 years. I'm really looking forward to some creative collaboration.

With Q & A, personal pix and clips, I'll be sharing my thoughts on process, new directions and what it's like making your first feature film during The Great Recession.

For this week's segment of FHA, I'm open to all questions about the documentary and my long process making it on my own. If you want to be included in the discussion next week, please drop a line to info@freehandsacademy.com

This project can't be made without your support. Thanks for your participation.

I look forward to seeing you Friday.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Last edited by LADC on Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:03 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: Doc Talk on Free Hands Friday
I'm happy to announce that Jim Reilly will our guest host this Friday! Jim was an inspiration for my documentary. He is nearly fiinished with his book about Emmett and the Stick and will be publishing it soon.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:44 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

This should be an excellent Free Hands Friday. The event will be listed as Public and I will send out invites to everyone that has joined in the past.

If for any reason you have difficulty joining, I always have Google chat open, so you can ask questions through the chat client which I can forward to Jim and Dan.

Looking forward to tuning in.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:17 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Here is a sample of what we can look forward to.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Roll up for the magical mysery tour! Step right this way.

...it was 40 years ago today, Captain Chapman taught the band to play...

Anyone who would like to be an attendee for tomorrow morning's FREE HANDS FRIDAY at 10:30AM, please send your Google Plus eAddress to: info@freehandsacademy.com

It's a live Google Hangout event, so you will need to have a Google Plus account to participate. A limited number of spots are available.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:04 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

We caught some of the new material today which included Alphonso Johnson - can't wait to get another glimpse of what you've been working on Dan!!!

Note - this will be a public event, so you will be able to view the event - if you want to participate, invites will be sent to all those following the FHA g+ page. You can send a request to info@freehandsacademy.com to request an invite or chat with me on Google chat at geneperry@gmail.com if you have any problems connecting.

Cheers,

Gene

Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:27 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Fun video. When I think about postmodernity, one of the points in the definition is that there was an explosion of techniques (such as tapping) which were not necessarily so new but given new prominence. And the other was that there was an explosion of new instruments.

Although there were electric violins and such that came out of postmodernity plus experimental musical instruments that didn't catch on in popularity among players, the Stick (not being an existing instrument made to be electronic so belongs in a different category) has to be the pre-eminent post-modern instrument which came out of all that experimentation.

It was a vector in human consciousness that found expression through Emmett and all the players. Not many people can say they were the conduit to give birth to an idea which proved itself worthy of continued existence in the human community. It did grow bigger than Emmett and belongs to the history of humanity now and to it's future.

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:37 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Tatsu wrote:
When I think about postmodernity, one of the points in the definition is that there was an explosion of techniques (such as tapping) which were not necessarily so new but given new prominence. And the other was that there was an explosion of new instruments.

I'm sorry Tatsu. Your statement minimizes Emmett's discovery and devalues his contribution to music. It comes from the kind of revisionist history that copycat instrument manufacturers would like to promote. On August 26th 1969, when Emmett made his Free Hands discovery, no one was tapping on strings the way he was. And no one had the courage to give up everything to create a new instrument based on this ergonomic method of two-handed tapping.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:46 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Dan and Tatsu,

I often hear Emmett talk about the cultural wave of the 1960's and how he feels a part of that wave as well, including the musical inspiration provided by musicians like Hendrix.

Emmett had already spent a lot of time innovating on his guitar, adding strings, lengthening, it, even giving it a new tuning (yes, the Classic tuning concept even predates the Free Hands method you can read about that [url]here). He was preparing the garden as it were, where the seed of his Free Hands method, as yet unknown to him, could take root.

If I could try to tie your sentiments and Tatsu's together:

The urge to expand traditional musical vehicles, especially through electric means, was essential to Emmett's unique discovery, both in its inspiration and its realization, but that was only the beginning. He had to figure out how to make his seedling bear fruit, which he has certainly done and continues to do. To me, that's the real essence of the struggle you capture in your film.

Why tapping, as it was practiced by the "touch system" players, didn't really catch on is a great question. I think it's because what the two hands are doing was essentially too different, so the player had to use two different techniques simultaneously. Emmett's approach makes the hands true equals, and in doing so creates the opportunity for freer expression, and freer hands.

So Dan, you are right to question Tatsu's premise, because Emmett's way of tapping with the right hand equaling the left had not been done before, though I don't think Tatsu "meant anything" by it.

Have fun today, sorry that I can't tune in, but I'll check it out after the fact.

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:59 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Originality is important. What Emmett did in 1969 had never been done before. The other guys who tapped on their guitars were doing it on an instrument that was designed to be played in a different way. Emmett had no influence by the touch system, as that method was not well-known at the time.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:34 am