It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 "EMMETT" docu-in-progress screening in Bel Air, CA 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: "EMMETT" docu-in-progress screening in Bel Air, CA
As a kid and now, the thing I've always admired most about my brother is that he's so fiercely independent. He is Mr. Do-it-yourself. His instrument was invented so you could do it yourself and be a one man band. Stick players know this. People who play The Stick are independent minded.

This story is about freedom.

This is a story about a 34 year old guy who was searching for freedom. Freedom was a very important word in 1969 at the end of the idealistic '60s, when Emmett discovered his breakthrough method of playing music by tapping on strings with both hands parallel to the fretboard. He called it Free Hands.

He was searching for a way he could be free when he played. Inspired by watching and listening to Jimi Hendrix, he was looking for a way to go beyond the formal structure of jazz guitar. In 1969 he called his new instrument the Freedom Guitar. It still looked like a guitar. It still had a body. He ended up changing music. Not only his own music. He changed the way music could be played.

http://freehandsacademy.com/2013/08/12/stick-night-bel-air/

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:08 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

It was truly spectacular. Great crowd. Very receptive. Laughter and applause. Very fulfilling for me. Friends and musicians, producers and people from the IDA, International Documentary Association attended. Lots of perceptive questions. I was able to get this story seen by a good size crowd on a glorious night. A beautiful mix of architecture, sculpture, nature and humanity all together. A gentle breeze on a warm night high above L.A..

Thanks Gene for organizing this event. I couldn't have asked for anything more ideal.

I hope someone took some pictures.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:56 am
Contributor
Contributor

I wish I could have been there to see the 42 minute version.
Any chance of it being online at some point?

Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Thanks for asking. It's not finished yet. But after ten years, I can feel some real momentum building. :)

This was the grandest showing so far. I probably should put up clips, but I wouldn't want to release the feature doc online until it has a decent theatrical run. Maybe I'm too ambitious with this, but I do want to show it in some film festivals and theaters first. I am making it for the general public, not as a Stick promotion. It's a unique story of the trials, tribulations and triumph over adversity of a musician/inventor.

I hope some people who saw it last night will chime in with comments.

I need to cover the most recent events in Emmett's life, most importantly his reinvention of The Stick (creating the Railboard) plus other in-depth story elements, milestones, locations and characters that are still not represented.

It takes time, money and patience. I don't have enough of the first two yet. But I am very confident that I will soon.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Last edited by LADC on Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:05 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

The showing was spectacular. Dan engaged the audience and invited questions, a real pro. As a Stickist it was very inspiring. I overheard people in the audience asking whether it was available on Netflix.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:23 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Oh man I so want to see this....I guess I will eventually.

cheers,
kev

Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:52 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Your documentary is stunning!!! Dan, great job envisioning and capturing how each of our Sticks are handcrafted by your brother and how his creation has touched so many around the world. From top touring musicians who rock out with their Sticks, the musicians/teachers who share their knowledge and passions about it and to those like me (I have been enamored by it for some 30 years now and finally bought one!!) who just want to make music with it, your documentary tells all of our stories.

I am speaking for myself, most memorable and touching.....the moments of Emmett hunched over ONE stick...could have been MY Stick.... and lovingly and painstakingly tuning, filing and adjusting it with only his keen eyes and knowing hands was an emotional revelation to me. I am glad I said what I said to him during the Q & A session afterward about this very point. After viewing your documentary, I feel that my Stick is not just something I just bought from him, I now feel that it was a gift from him. (Thank you, Emmett!!!) I await the additions to YOUR lovely masterpiece. I must add that I just donated to your endeavors. I hope that anyone who reads this post will do the same... http://www.chapdoc.com/index.html

♥♪♥, Robin
"One-day pass Stick Chick" as per Gene

9/5/11... proud owner of Stick #6085, a "Classy" Wenge 10 with Stickup and glow linears!!

=/=====>

So Cal. Stick Seminar 2012 @ Mira Costa
FHA 2013 - Bel-Air (1 day)
FHA 2014 - Bel-Air

Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:02 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

OMG. That is so unexpectedly wonderful. Thank you Robin.

continued...

Your personal insight and encouragement really mean a lot to me. My goal is to make an honest portrait of my brother. Staying objective is the hardest part. Comments from you and others who see him differently keeps me focused on making the truest representation I can without slipping into hagiography, which is a common pitfall in bio-docs.

I hope more who were at the Saturday screening will be encouraged by your comments and share their impressions here in this forum. I welcome all comments, critical or otherwise. That's how I can learn and can improve it.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

George Duke, the famous jazz keyboardist, just passed away at 67 - much too early. A couple months ago I found out he wrote a little blues song about Emmett, which he titled "The Gospel According to Emmett." When I heard that, it really struck a chord with me. So much so that I even considered retitling my documentary in his honor.

It makes sense.

Not many of Stick followers realize that Em's dad was a traveling evangelist who settled in Santa Barbara as a minister of his own church. While my mom was pregnant with Emmett, she had a dream, what she called a premonition. In her dream, Em's dad (who was also named Emmett) is at the pulpit giving a sermon before his congregation. He picks up the Bible and holds it up. As he is holding it up, the Bible turns into a baby. She woke up with a fear that her husband would never preach again after the baby was born. And it came to pass…

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Last edited by LADC on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:12 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

It was an honor to witness the work in progress. I imagine that is it hard to show and unfinished work but we all appreciate you sharing it with us.

Thank you.

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:40 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Dan,

Your documentary-in-progress was amazing; a very natural and intimate showing of the man behind the instrument. I can't wait to see the final product.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:40 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next