It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:22 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 "EMMETT" docu-in-progress screening in Bel Air, CA 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: "EMMETT" docu-in-progress screening in Bel Air, CA
Robin expressed so beautifully how I also felt after the screening. Seeing the painstaking and dedicated work that goes into each instrument and getting to know the history and the person (and family) behind it was really great.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:30 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Agreed on all accounts. Great Documentary about a great man.

Brett

Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:57 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

LADC wrote:
Not many of Stick followers realize that Em's dad was a traveling evangelist who settled in Santa Barbara as a minister of his own church. While my mom was pregnant with Emmett, she had a dream, what she called a premonition. In her dream, Em's dad (who was also named Emmett) is at the pulpit giving a sermon before his congregation.

He must of been reading from the Book of Psalms.

I now see the connection to the Instrument of 10 Strings.

Psalms 33:2
Psalms 92:3
Psalms 144:9

Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

ChapStick wrote:
He must of been reading from the Book of Psalms.
I now see the connection to the Instrument of 10 Strings.

Psalms 33:2
Psalms 92:3
Psalms 144:9

And the event came to pass on the Sabbath... And it was good. There were ten strings and twelve strings making joyful noise. BTW I play harp, but not the kind in Psalms. :)

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:18 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Thanks Gene, Dean, Brett, eclout22, & Claire for your feedback, encouragement and support.

Making a film is a collective art form. I am so close to this project. That is both a plus and a minus, I know. I've been working alone on it for almost 10 years now, so you can imagine how much I would love and welcome to take it someplace beyond myself. I'm very interested in artistic collaboration and what other viewpoints will bring.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:21 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Dan,

Have you considered using a fundraiser website to help raise funds for the film...Something like Kickstarter? I'm sure many musicians frequent such sites in support of new products and upcoming projects. This also is two-fold, because you can also generate positive buzz for the project. And I'm sure most of the Stick Community has heard of Kickstarter and would love to help donate to your cause.

What are your plans once it's finished? Theatrical release?

~Evan

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:31 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Thanks Evan.

For sure, Kickstarter or Indiegogo would be a good way to go now. It has been suggested many times. It takes a lot of strategy to launch a successful Kickstarter campaign. I personally know some people who have done amazingly well with it. I know I can do it, but takes time and planning. Right now, time is an issue for me.

Finishing it is half the battle. Getting distribution will take another big push. These areas are where funding is needed. Getting it out into the world is just as difficult as making the film. I've been talking with producers and other filmmakers. One producer who wants to come on thinks I should broaden the subject to include more characters than Emmett as a broader focused documentary.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Last edited by LADC on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:56 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

If you are going to start a Kickstarter or Indiegogo campaign, I would do it so that the funds would be directed for the distribution of the final, finished product. That tends to be the most costly of the entire film making process, IMO.

Also, adding a producer is really a two-edge sword. Yes, they will have the wallet and other resources to help you out...However, it seems like his creative vision clashes with yours: he wants a broader direction and story about the Stick and it's musicians in general, and you want it about Emmett. His is larger while yours is intimate. The intimacy of the documentary is what makes it work.

Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:11 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Kick start it Dan. We'll do the premiere next year at the 40 year anniversary of the Chapman Stick next year at the FHA!

Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:18 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

eclout22 wrote:
The intimacy of the documentary is what makes it work.

Good points.

I would only do a crowdfunding to finish the film at this time. It has been suggested twice (once on Saturday) that I go after funding from a European broadcasing network, ARTE. I will do this, but I need to solidify a budget first.

I am weighing what that producer is saying. I've always wanted to broaden it to a degree, by featuring brief "days in the life" of some different players, especially in unique places on the planet. But my focus has always been toward a bio. I guess what he is saying is that keeping it as a bio makes it small. He's thinking for a general public audience. And of course, I am preaching to the choir here. :)

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:38 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next