It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:35 am

BIG BANG 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: BIG BANG
greg wrote:
Though to be fair getting 10 Stick players and their rigs all set to go is a challenge, they showed up late and couldn't get their system working.

So... I had to jump in and get everyone hooked up and get the show going.
Not to mention helping us with our sound recording for the shoot as well. "Oh Greg. Do you know how to run this 6 channel Alesis Adat?"
greg wrote:
By the time I got to go up on-stage I was quite flustered, so all the agita of the moment coupled with the excitement of this new Stick all came out in my piece.
He was seething. All the other ten players were practicing and blithely setting up, while Greg got dumped on as the tech troubleshooter of the night.
greg wrote:
Needless to say, I had no time to adjust my appearance, nor had I had a haircut for almost a year...so not the best aesthetics on that front...
Oh I dunno. I kinda like the Beatlesque look.
greg wrote:
At one moment early on in the performance Emmett jumped up on stage and turned the snare off on the drums, thereby saving me from that one distraction at least...
You can see Greg giving Em a thumbs up for that assist.

It just goes to show that channeled anger can be great creative motivation. Bravo!

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:36 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I recall at FHA 2014, Kevin, along with a lot of help from Greg, grabbed the reins of the live sound and had a similar situation. Kevin and Greg, along with Photographer David Cohen, completely rearranged the outside stage setup (as we were losing light) while everyone was inside watching your documentary. I remember missing it last year in 2013 and telling Greg that - he was like, you should watch it then, I'll help David. It was selfless.

When I came back outside to the performance, EVERYTHING had been moved. Chairs, monitors, cables, mics, amps - everything, all in the course of an hour. Mind you, Greg had already played, so this was all for Emmett, Gary, Don and Kevin. I will remember that.

When it came time to perform, Kevin hadn't had time to get tuned and was out of sorts. It was like he was so involved with the live sound, he forgot he was a featured artist. After a few minutes, he sorted his stuff and totally nailed it. More of that focused anger - good if you can keep it channel it through your art!

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:01 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

LADC wrote:

Emmett's music and vocabulary of improv is in a strata all his own. That said, as a player, Greg reminds me more of Emmett than anyone, especially on BIG BANG.
Wow, Dan, I can't think of a greater compliment. I surely don't understand harmony as well as Emmett does, but as an improviser, I can't think of a more expansive vehicle than Emmett's creation.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:08 am
Profile My Photo Gallery