It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:02 am

EMMETT documentary at Ventura Film Society Festival 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post EMMETT documentary at Ventura Film Society Festival
You're invited...

I'm happy to announce a special screening of a 30 minute work-in progress cut from my documentary "EMMETT" on the closing night of The Ventura Film Society Festival 2010. There will be Q&A session immediately after the screening, followed by solo performances by Chapman Stick artists, Emmett Chapman, Don Schiff and Kevin Keith.

When: Sunday evening, March 28th 2010, 8:20pm (don't be late)
Where: The Ventura Film Society Festival 2010. The Elks Lodge, 11 South Ash Street, Ventura, CA 93001

More info is here: http://www.venturafilmsociety.com/about.html

Here's a synopsis of my film:

This is a story about a musician inventor who's sudden inspiration expanded into a life's work.

Emmett Chapman discovers a new way to play music and creates a unique stringed instrument called "The Stick." Wherever he plays it, people are truly amazed. Other musicians immediately recognize its value and want one for themselves. He then makes a critical choice to supply the demand for others. He creates an instrument for his own freedom and because of it's success, spends decades serving the instrument and the worldwide community of "Stickists" who play it. Will The Stick become an accepted mainstream instrument? And after a 40-year odyssey of public and personal battles to establish his instrument, will Emmett receive the recognition he deserves?

This is a documentary about my brother who's been a role model for as long as I can remember. Thousands of people in many countries have been influenced and inspired by him. This film is also a window into an unusual creative community. The Stick has been used by groups like Aerosmith, King Crimson, Santana, Dave Matthews Band, Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, Robbie Robertson, Paula Cole, Tangerine Dream, The Blue Man Group and Cirque du Soliel, including many more from around the planet.

Dan Chapman

see the trailer at:
http://www.chapdoc.com/trailer.html

[Manny: corrected month to March]

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:28 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: EMMETT documentary at Ventura Film Society Festival
Congrats Dan!!!! I'm sure it will be recieved extemely well and leave them wanting more. One question I hope gets answered in the Documentary is, who, if any, within Emmetts inner circle ever doubted the success of his creation??? Was Emmett shocked or did he expect this type of response from that individual? Every great inventor has people who believe in them from concept to creation,as well as those who think the idea should never leave the paper it was written on. Thanks for being apart of this fine community,I will be makeing a donation as soon as I get some of these bills under control.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:43 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Thanks.

Yes there are always doubts about any endeavor, don't you think so? That includes self-doubt, doubts from friends, family and extra-personal. That's just part of life. My docu hopes to cover a man's life and life's work truthfully and accurately, albeit from a brother's perspective, which I'm trying very hard to to keep as objective as possible.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:52 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Dan, Just seeing the trailer,and the detail that has gone into it makes me want to see more. Like I said in the previous post, I'm sure this will be the common response. I can't imagine just how many hours you have put into this documentary.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:50 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Right now I've shot 156 hours of footage, but of course that doesn't count editing time. It's a lot to sort through. Editing is stressful and fraught with technical obstacles, but when it's flowing, it's like music. I thought I'd given up music to make this docu, but I'm finding that the musician in me is coming out again by doing this.

Thanks to all the support...

But I'm still quite broke doing this. It can't go on. I do need to find some real funding. Hopefully this festival will spark something.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:33 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Just delivered a 37:50 min work-in-progress cut of the doc this afternoon. I'm exhausted.

Thanks to all who participated and contributed.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:11 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hey Dan. I sincerely wish I could attend but alas,......
I wish you all the best and then some on this important screening. I have no doubts of the quality of your presentation. The subject matter is important and simultaneously intriguing. No doubt, your work will illustrate this in an informative and entertaining style.
I will be there in spirit with much encouragement to you and all involved.
Best wishes to you, Emmett, Yuta, Grace, Dianna and everyone affected .
I salute your efforts

Steve Adelson

Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:06 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Thanks Steve.

Wish you could see it. There will definitely be more opportunities. Possibly East Coast festival(s) coming up. This is the first time I am able to complete a sizable version. It comes together quite nicely, if I do say so myself. There are still a lot of holes (things I had to leave on the table) in order to meet the screening deadline. I can now see a clear path towards finishing the real thing.

This is a big step in the right direction.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:41 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

So how was the ChapDoc showing? I'm sure it was great.

SA

Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:39 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

It was just wonderful!

This was my first festival and is a big step on the road to finishing this docu. I was apprx. three weeks editing a 37:50 min cut. It was intense work requiring my full-time attention. It's taken me this long to get back to any kind of regular schedule. My other work was put on hold and I now am trying to catch up with neglected projects. The great thing is that I now feel like the feature length version is becoming a reality. I'm just a bit less than halfway there.

I may be able to post some pix and/or video clips from the event. There were still and video shooters continuously for the Q&A and performances. The idea of having Stick performances after the screening to close the festival was brilliant! It gave the audience a full immersion in the subject. The audience was very responsive and inquisitive. Lots of questions, mostly directed toward Emmett. It was a packed house, albeit a small theater. Not sure how large but I'd say 150 people. ??? See audio file below to hear theater audience response.

I wish you all could have been there.

Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:52 am