It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:51 pm

Chapdoc - New Subforum 
Site Admin

Post Chapdoc - New Subforum
Welcome to the new subforum, Chapdoc, dedicated to Dan Chapman's documentary project, Emmett - A Film By Dan Chapman.

Here you'll find discussions about Dan's project, along with information on how you can be involved; contributing content/resources, and most importantly, how you can donate and be a part of this unique project.

Feel free to start new threads here about this great project!

Link to Chapdoc.com

Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: ChapDoc - New Subforum
Wow! How cool is this? I just got back from my Sunday exercise and saw the new category.

Thanks Manny for taking this step. I'm so grateful. This is a grassroots effort that originated with my decision to make a documentary several years ago about my brother. This group is a natural extension of direct interest and support.

I really appreciate this forum for allowing me to share this very personal project. I've already started to receive donations thanks to stickist.com and stickwire. This is really only the beginning. You are the grassroots.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:48 pm

Post Re: Chapdoc - New Subforum
Hmmm...

Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:01 am
paul resico wrote:
Hmmm...

Que? :?

//J

Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:33 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

...meanwhile I'm working furiously on a 30 minute work-in-progress cut that is scheduled to screen at a film festival at the end of this month (gulp) and could sure use your support now. I will be announcing the event very shortly. Stay tuned here and on my NEWS page: http://chapdoc.com/blog/

$10 really will help make a difference.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Last edited by LADC on Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:34 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Dan,

I made my humble donation to this amazing project today. Hopefully I'll get a chance to add a bit more again soon!

Sincerely,

Eric

Bamboo #6277
Polycarb #2267

Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:00 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Thank you Eric and Greg. That definitely helps.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:19 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

paul resico wrote:
Hmmm...

I do understand where Hmmm... comes from.

This is the time I should make it clear. My work on this is not being financed by any business. Embarrassingly, I am totally broke and can't keep making this film all by myself any longer. :(

We gave up our house two years ago. It's been three years since we've had medical insurance.

The average documentary takes seven years to finish. I've been working on this for six years. I'm apprx. 2/3 finished now. It was not easy, but I'm almost there and I don't want to give up my film unfinished. You know, time is money. Like anyone else, I'm still working as a graphic designer to pay my living expenses.

I'm sorry if I'm making you feel pressure by asking for your donations, but I need support when you can. This is a very important thing and Stickists are my closest friends to share this project with. Thanks for your understanding.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:00 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Don't worry about making anyone feel uncomfortable just for asking. It's only asking. I love the Chapman Stick as an instrument but I don't have the sufficient funds to justify buying one yet, although I understand and accept it is a premium instrument that fetches a premium price for premium inventiveness and craftsmanship, even when sold used. A lot of people have a lot of things delayed due to a lack of funding and many of us are in the same boat. We feel for your situation.

One thing I don't understand though is the documentary business. Where do they get airplay or theatrical performance? The only ones I have ever heard of are the Michael Moore documentaries in theaters, and "Obsession," "Generation Zero" and "Super Size Me" which had tiny theatrical runs but also appeared on cable news channels. Obviously there have to be more but I'm speaking as a person who doesn't specifically follow documentaries or the independent film culture. As an aside, I'd love to release an independent film myself, but that's on the back burner like a lot of things that have to be delayed for immediate needs.

A few other documentaries I am familiar with had been released on DVD but I have no idea whether it's major distribution or something like http://www.kunaki.com which would allow print-on-demand sales and fulfillment. But that site is a good deal to become instantly profitable and saves time over laying out $1000s just to have a stack of DVDs to mail on your own.

Apparently "Obsession" released three levels of DVDs: 30 minutes to gather funding early, 60 minutes while it was in theaters (to bulid buzz), and I don't even know if they released the theatrical 90 minute version as a DVD yet. Perhaps this is a model you could follow to help secure the money to finish. You could even have your 30 minute version include a very specific plea that shows how your personal sacrifices have gone into this movie to let people know they can contribute.

I don't understand the business of documentary film making at all, but if you can sell preview cuts perhaps that can help ease the burden of making the dream come alive. I hope you succeed.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:56 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Thanks NewbieWan for your reassurances and suggestions. This is a long-gestating project and while it certainly would have been faster if I had funds to work on it full time, it may not have been as in depth. It takes time to make a documentary. The average is 7 years. It takes a while to really understand what you're doing, the reason being that life doesn't always fit so neatly into anyone's pre-conceived ideas.

I've been working in the motion picture business for 27 years. Documentaries are a microcosm of the larger narrative film business. There are a lot of outlets for distribution on many levels of media. My main goal is a theatrical feature release. There are lots of distributors who do this. The multi-staged release is a definite possibility.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com
Last bumped by Manny on Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:49 pm.

Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:49 pm