It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:41 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 EMMETT the documentary 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: EMMETT the documentary
JRJ wrote:

Here is what i really think though: I might be in a minority but I have always felt that the Stick is a secret invention, a gift from a higher dimention with an element of mystery if not mysticism; that at it's core it is something that transcends both it's maker and music itself. It's a "thing" that can open you onto a world of pure imagination; the instrument itself being a kind of magic key or witches broom that the adept and the occasional beginner can ride to or unlock dimensions of insight and dreams that go far beyond musical concepts like the circle of fifths or modal improvisation.

When Emmett talked about "The Stick Game of Music" he mentioned that there is a "new musical situation or game" that he wanted to "bring on…" And that; "It's not fully conscious. It's too vague for comfort…" That line "…too vague for comfort…" was the end of something (a kind of personal doubt) and the beginning for me of an exploration that appears to have no end in sight. It's strange what trigers things like that. And it's not about music, it's about a mindspace that the Stick allows me to access through musical forms and shapes; the delicate dance of fingers on strings reveals "ideas". Ideas about architecture, painting, gardens, jungles, reptiles and geometric arabesques. The Stick if one is willing to allow such things is a magic wand that turns music into what has always been at it's ultimate potential. It is par-excellence the definitive musical tool of synesthesia; an orchestra in your hands that no doubt can spin the tones and rhythms into stories, myths and personal insight. I know this. And it is why I am confused when some players say that they don't want it to sound too much like a Stick. It is true that the Stick can mimic but it is after all what it truly is; a unique and irreplaceable potential in the pantheon of instruments...

There! I said it. Dan can we put that in the movie?

JRJ

Seriously JRJ, if you would record that statement in the most sincere voice recoding possible and send me your audio file, and I will use it in some creative way. It's really quite inspired and conjures up the archetypal quality of The Stick and it's inventor.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:00 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Quote:
Seriously JRJ, if you would record that statement in the most sincere voice recoding possible and send me your audio file, and I will use it in some creative way. It's really quite inspired and conjures up the archetypal quality of The Stick and it's inventor.

Hi Dan, I will need to work on " the most sincere voice recording possible" as I sound so weird to myself that it is hard to be objective. Perhaps I can get the archetype to speak for me :| Thanks for hearing it...
`J`

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:41 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

<lol. Sorry Emmett. I perhaps made too much of your notices in my initial post.>

Many thanks Loop, I'll take that as a retraction done in good spirits, much like my own dinner of abrasive words, which I had to try to enjoy eating.

<Oh, it was all you. hehe.>

By "free will" I meant to say there was no winged messenger archetype guiding me, no Muse at that one opportune moment of imagination (the moment I've since spent a lifetime pursuing). I'm saying it might well have been my own contrivance, an unnatural act of will, but then again I am a member of the gene pool, subscribe to the language and culture and all of that.

<But I do like what said, "Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it.>

So you just start hacking away, no plan? Then it's a 3-D ouijaboard and a monster might appear. I wonder if Michelangelo actually embodied the archetype, "Michael the heralding angel", or if his PR guy just thought it up? He might have known that a log or a stone expressed an inherent "soul form", an inspiration to the artist and a suggestion to have its manifestation made complete. But then what about a quarried block of marble?

<Hahaha. Well, I've gone with the glow inlays instead. For now. Until I can convince you guys otherwise, lol. Maybe I'll try to work up a little mockup and mail it to you.>

Green glow is nice, but I was seriously suggesting brass instead of yellow for your instrument.

Best, Emmett.

Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:04 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Sorry to say we didn't reach our goal and I couldn't make it to yesterday's event in Nayarit, Mexico, where I was hoping to shoot Japhlet Attias at a festival where he was performing. I was targeting it for a segment in the documentary, but unfortunately the donations received didn't allow for my travel. That was very disappointing. :( Maybe next time. ;)

The good news is... on the 23rd there was a special screening for film professionals at Raleigh Studios in Hollywood where I screened a new 6 minute version of the work in progress and it went over extremely well. It was the first time the work has been seen on a big screen. The super-enthusiastic response from the audience was very encouraging.

Please keep your donations coming. This film will be made possible with you support.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:49 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Dan, sorry to hear you didn't reach your goal. I was curious as to whether or not you are applying for funding/grants from foundations and/or government sources? Ford Foundation, NEA, etc?

Any chance we can see the latest edit? lol.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:34 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, and I may have an idea for a fun little way to generate some more $$$. I'll send you a PM.

Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:35 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

LoopStationZebra wrote:
Dan, sorry to hear you didn't reach your goal. I was curious as to whether or not you are applying for funding/grants from foundations and/or government sources? Ford Foundation, NEA, etc?

Any chance we can see the latest edit? lol.

I reached part of my goal, which was to finish a cut in time for the Raleigh screening. My next goal is to show a 30 minute cut at a film festival that I've been invited to at the end of this month (too be announced).

As far as grants, I entered the competition for a Roy R. Dean grant and came in second (no cigar). These are the same people who sponsored the Raleigh screening. The winners were a team of filmmakers who made a doc about an inner city acting school. They had some famous actors in their doc. I haven't applied for any other grants, but have contacted some private business for funding, without success so far. :(

I will post the new edit soon.

LoopStationZebra wrote:
Oh, and I may have an idea for a fun little way to generate some more $$$. I'll send you a PM.

Please. I'm all ears.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:52 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Hi Dan,

We're intending to have a Stick Night, of some sort, in Sydney in late September, would that be too far away to be useful as a fundraiser? Or do you think the doco would even be finished by then? :O

Not likely that we could raise much funds, but it's always worth discussing possibilities and ideas of generating more interest in the Stick and it's players.

Cheers,

Justin

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:43 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

evilgus wrote:
We're intending to have a Stick Night, of some sort, in Sydney in late September, would that be too far away to be useful as a fundraiser? Or do you think the doco would even be finished by then? :O

Not likely that we could raise much funds, but it's always worth discussing possibilities and ideas of generating more interest in the Stick and it's players.

That's very thoughtful and generous Justin. That would be sensational. Whatever I can do to help with any promotion for a event like this, please let me know. I'm open to ideas.

I will be sending inquiries to a few funding sources as soon as my schedule clears up. But unless funding opens up soon, I won't be finished by September.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:16 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

LADC wrote:
That's very thoughtful and generous Justin. That would be sensational. Whatever I can do to help with any promotion for a event like this, please let me know. I'm open to ideas.

Not a problem, I really want to see the Doco! :) I have a few wild and crazy ideas to throw at you, can you PM me your email address?

Cheers,

Justin

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:40 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next