It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:54 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 EMMETT the documentary 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: EMMETT the documentary
(synesthesiaAll)

All these different angles are important to make the film a first rate documentary and beyond that a piece of art in itself. I am assuming that it is intended to be a documentary
more than a film but to me a good documentary has elements of a film, a movie, with drama that unfolds and tells a story that has real life
as it's source. To be good it needs to work on a number of levels simultaneously as Loop Z says.

i am fascinated by what I have seen so far but I am "in the choir". Sure Stickist's would want to see this but I get the impression that Dan wants this to be
compelling to an audience larger than the captive "us". To achieve that the project needs a "something" that so far I have not seen presented.
But I am heartened because my intuitive sense is that Dan is the real deal. This is a "One From The Heart" project and those are the kind that have a way
of working themselves out.

Here is what i really think though: I might be in a minority but I have always felt that the Stick is a secret invention, a gift from a higher dimention with an element of mystery if not mysticism; that at it's core it is something that transcends both it's maker and music itself. It's a "thing" that can open you onto a world of pure imagination; the instrument itself being a kind of magic key or witches broom that the adept and the occasional beginner can ride to or unlock dimensions of insight and dreams that go far beyond musical concepts like the circle of fifths or modal improvisation.

When Emmett talked about "The Stick Game of Music" he mentioned that there is a "new musical situation or game" that he wanted to "bring on…" And that; "It's not fully
conscious. It's to vague for comfort…" That line "…to vague for comfort…" was the end of something (a kind of personal doubt) and the beginning for me of an exploration that appears to have no end in sight. It's strange what trigers things like that. And it's not about music, it's about a mindspace that the Stick allows me to access through musical forms and shapes; the delicate dance of fingers on strings reveals "ideas". Ideas about architecture, painting, gardens, jungles, reptiles and geometric arabesques. The Stick if one is willing to allow such things is a magic wand that turns music into what has always been at it's ultimate potential. It is par-excellence the definitive musical tool of synesthesia; an orchestra in your hands that no doubt can spin the tones and rhythms into stories, myths and personal insight. I know this. And it is why I am confused when some players say that they don't want it to sound too much like a Stick. It is true that the Stick can mimic but it is after all what it truly is; a unique and irreplaceable potential in the pantheon of instruments...

There! I said it. Dan can we put that in the movie?

JRJ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_from_the_Heart

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:47 pm
Contributor
Contributor

JRJ wrote:

Here is what i really think though: I might be in a minority but I have always felt that the Stick is a secret invention, a gift from a higher dimention with an element of mystery if not mysticism; that at it's core it is something that transcends both it's maker and music itself. It's a "thing" that can open you onto a world of pure imagination; the instrument itself being a kind of magic key or witches broom that the adept and the occasional beginner can ride to or unlock dimensions of insight and dreams that go far beyond musical concepts like the circle of fifths or modal improvisation.

Shhhh! You weren't supposed to say that out loud!

Great, J, now I gotta neuralyze everyone. Thanks a lot, blabbermouth! ;)

"The Stick is not a special instrument. There is no such thing as parallel dimensions, higher planes of consciousness or magic of any sort. Oh...and your kids can stay up all night and have all the ice cream they want."

8-)

SB8 Stick Bass #5509, Standard 4th Tuning, Rosewood w/Linear Inlaid Frets

Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Thanks Loop, for your inspiring words, which I know are genuine. And now, I've got to see some of your designs in furnishings and buildings. Any recommended links?

And yes, I recognize the importance of rivalry and drama as underlying themes and I think Dan will be covering the negative side in a creative and intuitive way, but these not the only themes that make for absorbing or gripping documentaries.

Brother Dan is 15 years younger than me, so maybe he doesn't remember this, but our Dad used to read to our family of four brothers and Mom from the Reader's Digest and whenever he'd get to the climactic part of a success story, he'd be crying and could hardly read the words. We'd all joke about it, of course, and could "see it coming". He'd blow the punch lines every time.

Isn't this Stick venture also in large measure a success story? It' tthe implementation of an idea and a passion over a lifetime of work and play? True, our Dad wasn't as sophisticated as we all are now, but that sentiment must still exist.

My personal satisfaction surely won't come from praises sung on my behalf. I've been at this far too long. For me the reward seems to be in the musical results, whatever diverse performances Dan's documentary film can contain, including a bit of my own current Stick music of course.

And for Dan, I imagine the reward will be as film maker, where ideas, imagery, symbols and personalities come together in the public mind's eye - seemingly a much more powerful medium than music.

Best, Emmett

Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:41 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Loop: Leave it to an architect to give us some understanding about structure.

This is great. The documentary is starting to generate inspired ideas and an openness to explore feelings that I know will lead to a real breakthrough.

JRJ: Terminology check. A documentary is a film. The difference you are referring to is between a documentary film and a narrative film (or fictional film).

I much appreciate your "one from the heart" comment.

"It's a "thing" that can open you onto a world of pure imagination; the instrument itself being a kind of magic key or witches broom that the adept and the occasional beginner can ride to or unlock dimensions of insight and dreams..."

Wow! Brilliant. Very poetic JRJ. Very beautifully put. Thanks for that inspiration. It's the same impetus for me to make this documentary. I've had the idea of using a clip from Mickey's Fantasia wizard with "Sorcerer's Apprentice" as a visual metaphor for Emmett's Stick workshop. I wonder how much the rights would cost?

Synesthesia. I had to look that one up.

I'm so happy to have helped inspire such eloquent writing.

Em: I do remember Dad welling up with tears, reading those Horatio Alger stories about overcoming great odds and sacrifice. He was such a softie. :D

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Last edited by LADC on Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:22 am
Contributor
Contributor

JRJ wrote:
....and beyond that a piece of art in itself.

An excellent observation. There's nothing cooler than when the act of documenting art becomes art itself. Like the photographers who capture the work of sculptor Andy Goldsworthy.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:26 am
Contributor
Contributor

BSharp wrote:
Thanks Loop, for your inspiring words, which I know are genuine. And now, I've got to see some of your designs in furnishings and buildings. Any recommended links?

Uh oh. Sounds like it's "put up or shut up" time for me! lol. For most of my career I've concentrated on interior architecture for corp clients. Here's some shots of a space I designed for the Formica headquarters while I was at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill:

I've designed a number of furniture lines. Here's a series of conference room/training tables and credenzas I did for Halcon called the Medio Collection. http://halconcorp.com/

And just to prove I'm not making this up, here's one of your designs resting on top of one of mine. :D

BSharp wrote:
And yes, I recognize the importance of rivalry and drama as underlying themes and I think Dan will be covering the negative side in a creative and intuitive way, but these not the only themes that make for absorbing or gripping documentaries.

Oh, absolutely agree. Musical instruments are invented all the time. Less than 1% are probably viable and continue on past the inventor. That is the story that will carry the film. How one man has literally beat the odds and tapped into something (pun intended) so pure, so deceptively simple, and so fundamentally honest that it had no choice but to succeed is 95% of the film. It's like the Stick was waiting to be created, and the Muse recognized that YOU were the right man for the job. :lol:

BSharp wrote:
Isn't this Stick venture also in large measure a success story? It' tthe implementation of an idea and a passion over a lifetime of work and play? True, our Dad wasn't as sophisticated as we all are now, but that sentiment must still exist.

Indeed! With all due respect to our cousins around the world, that's the quintessential American Dream story. ;)

Emmett, it's great to chat with you here. Truly. Very cool that you take the time. Just so you know, I'm the crazy guy that recently placed an order for a new 10string wenge with a request to do yellow inlays. I think it looks HOT, but Cambria nearly lost her lunch when I sent her the pic. Haha! Take care.

Last edited by LoopStationZebra on Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:03 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

LoopStationZebra wrote:

Uh oh. Sounds like it's "put up or shut up" time for me! lol. For most of my career I've concentrated on interior architecture for corp clients. Here's some shots of a space I designed for the Formica headquarters while I was at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill:

I've designed a number of furniture lines. Here's a series of conference room/training tables and credenzas I did for Halcon called the Medio Collection. http://halconcorp.com/

Oh, absolutely agree. Musical instruments are invented all the time. Less than 1% are probably viable and continue on past the inventor. That is the story that will carry the film. How one man has literally beat the odds and tapped into something (pun intended) so pure, so deceptively simple, and so fundamentally honest that it had no choice but to succeed is 95% of the film. It's like the Stick was waiting to be created, and the Muse recognized that YOU were the right man for the job.

Indeed! With all due respect to our cousins around the world, that's the quintessential American Dream story.

Well put, Loop. Emmett did years of work to prepare him for that "ah ha" moment on August 26th 1969.

Your work is wonderful. There's a documentary that you might like that I haven't seen yet called VISUAL ACOUSTICS celebrating the life and career of Julius Shulman, arguably the world’s greatest architectural photographer. http://www.juliusshulmanfilm.com/

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:02 am
Contributor
Contributor

LADC wrote:
There's a documentary that you might like that I haven't seen yet called VISUAL ACOUSTICS celebrating the life and career of Julius Shulman, arguably the world’s greatest architectural photographer. http://www.juliusshulmanfilm.com/

HOT, Dan. lol. Anyone who knows of Shulman deserves a cold one and if there was a way I could pass one across the internet I certainly would. :lol: I've got the Taschen Case Study Houses book that features his work. Amazing.

I was unfamiliar with VISUAL ACOUSTICS! Wow, thanks for that link. Don't know how I've missed hearing about it, haha. :oops: I was even in Austin during one of the past screenings. :x It even got the Audience award at the Austin FF. That's pretty impressive.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:22 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Trying to be honest at all times, I run the risk of being obnoxious. Honesty prevails. Faced with the evidence of Loop's brilliant colors and forms created in his chosen profession, as well as his obvious success with major clients, I feel like I've been handed back my words for dinner (with lots of fiber).

"Some day you too might create something new of true value for others to use..." I don't even want to repeat the rest - obviously a miscalculation! But Loop, why then did you carry on so about my modest legal notices? You had me fooled, as ones opinion usually reflects ones situation and station (or lack thereof). You OTOH have already been in my shoes, and with greater creative versatility.

Anyway, the point is now moot, so on to your other good words:

"It's like the Stick was waiting to be created, and the Muse recognized that YOU were the right man for the job."

This Muse must be the planetary god Hermes, aka Mercury the messenger, ruler of music and media. But then, where is free will in this creative picture? I like to think that I personally brought forth something "new under the sun". Still, I subscribe to the laws of physics, have five fingers on each hand, am a member of the gene pool and often find myself swept up by the cultural/historical tides and trends of the times.

"Emmett, it's great to chat with you here. Truly. Very cool that you take the time. Just so you know, I'm the crazy guy that recently placed an order for a new 10string wenge with a request to do yellow inlays"

Good God, yellow inlays on dark brown wenge?! No wonder Cambria burped a little too hard. Can't we go for real brass deal instead?

Loop, it's great to chat with you as well. Emmett

Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:37 pm
Contributor
Contributor

BSharp wrote:
But Loop, why then did you carry on so about my modest legal notices? You had me fooled, as ones opinion usually reflects ones situation and station (or lack thereof). You OTOH have already been in my shoes, and with greater creative versatility.

lol. Sorry Emmett. I perhaps made too much of your notices in my initial post.

BSharp wrote:
This Muse must be the planetary god Hermes, aka Mercury the messenger, ruler of music and media. But then, where is free will in this creative picture? I like to think that I personally brought forth something "new under the sun". Still, I subscribe to the laws of physics, have five fingers on each hand, am a member of the gene pool and often find myself swept up by the cultural/historical tides and trends of the times.

Oh, it was all you. hehe. But I do like what Michelangelo said, "Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it."

BSharp wrote:
Good God, yellow inlays on dark brown wenge?! No wonder Cambria burped a little too hard.

Hahaha. Well, I've gone with the glow inlays instead. For now. Until I can convince you guys otherwise, lol. Maybe I'll try to work up a little mockup and mail it to you.

Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:41 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next