It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:21 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 EMMETT the documentary 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: EMMETT the documentary
For those who donated, I want to thank you. Your generosity allowed me to take “Emmett” to the Ventura Film Society festival and get a 38 minute cut shown to a large group there. This is only the beginning of this documentary’s impact on a growing audience.

Now I need something else to enable progress to the next step.

What is needed are several days of concentrated editing in order to cut a 3 minute trailer that reflects the current state of this project. This will take $$$. The trailer that’s up right now was cut over a year ago for Emmett’s lecture at the University of Missouri. I cut it as a “first stab” to see if I could put something together for the students, requested by Sean Malone who is a professor there.

I’ve been researching funding from various sources and will have some exciting things to report very soon. But before I can approach serious funding institutions and individuals, it’s crucial to get a fast-paced trailer up on this site as soon as possible. I have something in mind that will be very exciting and will give a much deeper insight into the story of “Emmett.”

Please help me do this. For those of you who can contribute, even small donations will help.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Mon May 31, 2010 3:12 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Today's the day (almost went by). 41 years ago today in 1969 Emmett had his "aha" moment.

"It felt like flying."

See attached photo.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:38 pm
Contributor
Contributor

...And now that day's nearly back again.

What an amazing idea, and a great thread!
If it helps, I will soon have an HD-capable DSLR and have some experience in live recording. If you have anything in the Midwest that needs recorded...I've also been recording audio books for a local shelter, so I could help with capturing spoken word if needed.
I'm sure you have TONS of material for the soundtrack (the project is about an instrument after all) but, if you need anything else, and if you'd like to listen to any of my work (admittedly not Stick, yet), you may find something there that could be useful. Maybe if one of the Stick virtuosos here would like to play over some quality Soundtrack work, we could collaborate on variations of a theme for the background. My Soundcloud account is in my signature.

Can't wait to see the videos when I get home (no video from work) and to get involved in helping this move forward, even if it's only by donating when I can.

~M

Hotshots Gallery
Reserve Production

NS/Stick # EHC 121221 "Maya" :D

Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:11 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Thanks Michael. And thanks for the offer to help. I can definitely use help with the project. I'll check out your muisc. (I'm listening now. Cool stuff).

So much has happened in the last year. The instrument is now at the Musical Instrument Museum in Scottsdale, Arizona. http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5235 So many great concerts and events interntionally. I really regret missing a great Stick gathering this June in Sicily, Italy.

And of course, the most interesting development for me to see is Emmett's breakthrough creation, The Railboard. http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5081

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Last edited by LADC on Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:33 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Dan, just watched the trailer that's up right now.

I don't know how to express this...I'm such a complete newbie to this site and this community, and have never even seen a Stick in person yet. Still deciding what model will best suit my playing, etc.

But there's something you seem to have captured, so perfectly. It's something I've felt here, just in the short time I've been a member here. And not just here, even when commenting on Stickist videos on YouTube, etc.. There is such an immense camaraderie here. Such an incredible love and respect for the man and the instrument that seems to instantly transfer to anyone else who begins to share that same affection and appreciation. It's unlike anything I've experienced and it's amazing.

In your trailer, the scenes of those gatherings and of the honor being shown to Emmett, interwoven with those lonely scenes of the man, hard at work there, proselytizing his faith on the workbench. It moves me.
It affords a much deeper understanding and appreciation for just some of what he has done, and is doing, even though I am so new and am certain still have so much to learn.

I somewhat recently decided, definitively, that I am absolutely purchasing and learning the Stick. I'm still narrowing down the model, tuning, options...But as much as I've loved playing keyboards all these years, and as much as I love my 5-string fretless bass, and as much as I enjoy playing drums nearly every week at church...I know somehow that the Stick is going to be, more. The guitar has always eluded me. I don't know if it's partly due to mild dyslexia, or shortish fingers, or what. Sure, I can strum anything you want, but fingering has been difficult, even though I can play whatever you want on keyboard, bass or saxophone. Everything I've seen regarding the Stick tells me it will be different. Somehow more a combination of keyboards, drums and bass, and less "guitar". I hope I'm right. It is with great honor and anticipation that I look forward to finally "officially" joining this community.

Then, who knows what I might be able to share? :)

~M

Hotshots Gallery
Reserve Production

NS/Stick # EHC 121221 "Maya" :D

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:08 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Thanks so much Michael for your appreciation. You are right about the phenomenal community that has flourished around The Stick. I feel especially privileged to have been around to witness the inception of this new way to play.

Emmett's drive came from an inner quest – even as a young man. I remember the uniquely '60s philosophical imperative to "do your own thing." This was Emmett's credo more than anyone else I knew from those days. That's why he was/is my role model. It was out of that dynamic social climate that The Stick was born.

People respond to it because it is an authentic discovery. Free Hands (his musical playing concept) came from a time of free thinking in our history as a society.

After Emmett's initial patent expired, others were free to copy his instrument, but IMHO other instruments don't capture the simplicity of purpose and elegance of design that he created for this instrument as the embodiment of his unique playing method.

Thanks for the kind words about my trailer. I made the trailer a while ago. Now, when I watch it, I'm still very proud of it, but I feel it only scratches the surface of the story I have to tell about my brother.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:46 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7