It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:26 am

Emmett Chapman 3-song set 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Emmett Chapman 3-song set
A 3 song set by Emmett
Here's the edit that I've been promising from StickNight at Guitar Merchant in Canoga Park.

http://vimeo.com/157998915

This video represents 15 minutes taken from Emmett's first set from a 4-act, round robin-style concert that night, that also included astonishing performances by Greg Howard, Gene Perry and Cabezas de Cera from Mexico City (brothers, Mauricio and Francisco Sotelo). That evening we also shot a Free Hands Friday session backstage with participation from 4 continents. Michael Johnstone and I shot the whole event from before everyone arrived until packing up at night's end. It was a long, magical night infused with creative energy by everyone who participated.

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

Em performs on his new plasma-coated Railboard. It's was a revelation for me to see his improv interplay against "The Stick of many colors" gold surface. Improvisation is why Emmett invented Free Hands and the instrument it's best played on. Like in the words of Samuel Jackson's character, Jules in Pulp Fiction, he wanted to, "Walk the earth" in a musical sense.

VINCENT
What do you mean, walk the earth?

JULES
You know, like Caine in “KUNG FU.” Just walk from town to town, meet people, get in adventures.

VINCENT
How long do you intend to walk the earth?

JULES
Until God puts me where he want me to be.

VINCENT
What if he never does?

JULES
If it takes forever, I’ll wait forever.

Here are the songs and time locations,
(don't miss the special bonus track at end). :)

2:16 “ROCK-maninoff”
Piano Concerto #2 in C Minor
Theme from 3rd movement, allegro scherzando
Composed by Sergei Rachmaninoff

6:08 “Hotel California”
Written by Don Felder, Don Henley and Glenn Frey

10:05 “La Mer (The Sea)”
Written by Charles Trenet

With very special thanks to

Michael Johnstone, cinematography

Mauricio Sotelo Vargas
of Cabezas de Cera

Phil St. Germain
Guitar Merchant
Canoga Park, CA

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Sun May 01, 2016 1:54 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Emmett Chapman 3-song set
Great Performance and video edit !

tnx Dan

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Sun May 01, 2016 3:09 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Really awesome! Thanks for sharing, guys!

Sun May 01, 2016 3:56 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Very well done, Dan and Emmett!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sun May 01, 2016 4:04 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Had to watch this again. The wit, fun and musical dexterity of the master Stickist! Especially like the ending of the first piece. The guy's intro to Emmett is class. And of course always appreciate Dan's films. Well done!

Mon May 02, 2016 4:10 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Thanks Boaz, Scott, Stephen and David!

It was an exhilarating night. Emmett was moved and challenged, no doubt, by the sheer talent surrounding him at that concert in the back of a little San Fernando Valley music store.

It was the Sotelo Brothers last stop in a long tour. The fire and spirit that Mauricio and Francisco brought with them from Mexico City, was enough to power the evening by itself. I felt so lucky to be there, that I didn't blink the whole night. :)

Greg and Gene stepped up with completely inspired performances too. I would give you the whole concert, if I could afford to put more time into it right now. It will manifest.

Emmett was inspired. So happy I could catch him in his natural habitat.

Rage on.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Mon May 02, 2016 8:35 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

All feedback and comments are appreciated.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Wed May 04, 2016 12:18 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Splendid.

Wed May 04, 2016 4:24 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

LADC wrote:
All feedback and comments are appreciated.

I had more extensive comments and praise for you and Emmett here:
3 tunes by Emmett from last October's L.A. Stick Night
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11003

Ah, what the heck--the internet ink is free.

Here's what I said over there:
Quote:
Well Done, Dan and Emmett! The new gold metallic finish Railboard looks and sounds amazing. This was a good showcase for it, and of course, Emmett's skills as a performer and arranger.

ROCKmaninoff was exceptional--extra points for best expressive Stick Face.

I like the sound of the Boss Sy-300, mainly an organish patch it sounded like for Hotel Cally. That was certainly the most interpretive, freeform version of that song that I've ever heard. As for not believing you--if you hadn't have told me what song it was, I would not have immediately thought it was an Eagles song. But it was a fine freeform exploration of that sonic space. My favorite soulful part of that was around the 8:26 part, followed by some nice pedal tones.

La Mer--that was just tasty. My personal favorite of the 3. Again, best Stick Face of the week, and I really dug the more bluesy feel, especially right at 11:00. I really dug that bass action of the left hand in this one, especially where the camera really shows what that left hand is doing (nice camera work throughout--just really good.) 13:43 ending was a nice shift in tonal color to end on, just really tasty, bluesy feel to run out the extended chord. Good endings are key to take us home from where we've journeyed to, and Emmett stuck that landing!

Video production was exceptional as well. Just a very professional-looking and sounding production & performance. This would make a nice Christmas stocking stuffer DVD if y'all released this for sale (hint, hint!)

--Steve S
Cheers, Dan!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Wed May 04, 2016 5:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Emmett Chapman 3-song set
paigan0 wrote:
Well Done, Dan and Emmett! The new gold metallic finish Railboard looks and sounds amazing. This was a good showcase for it, and of course, Emmett's skills as a performer and arranger.

ROCKmaninoff was exceptional--extra points for best expressive Stick Face.

Thanks for the feedback, Steve. I know what you mean. StickFace would be a good band name too.

paigan0 wrote:
I like the sound of the Boss Sy-300, mainly an organish patch it sounded like for Hotel Cally.

Em was so excited about the Boss Sy-300, he devoted the first part of the concert demoing it. I left that part out. Someone said it will be the death of midi. Comments???

paigan0 wrote:
That was certainly the most interpretive, freeform version of that song that I've ever heard. As for not believing you--if you hadn't have told me what song it was, I would not have immediately thought it was an Eagles song.

Tom G has a good story along these lines from his long time drummer, Ryan Moran. He performed a duet with Emmett and couldn't tell it was a Beatle song until he was told after it was over. :roll:

paigan0 wrote:
La Mer--that was just tasty. My personal favorite of the 3. Again, best Stick Face of the week, and I really dug the more bluesy feel, especially right at 11:00. I really dug that bass action of the left hand in this one, especially where the camera really shows what that left hand is doing (nice camera work throughout--just really good.) 13:43 ending was a nice shift in tonal color to end on, just really tasty, bluesy feel to run out the extended chord. Good endings are key to take us home from where we've journeyed to, and Emmett stuck that landing!

Video production was exceptional as well. Just a very professional-looking and sounding production & performance. This would make a nice Christmas stocking stuffer DVD if y'all released this for sale (hint, hint!)

--Steve S

La Mer was my favorite too. I couldn't get it out of my head all the while I was working on it. I like the way he turned it into a blues. French Blues. The reinterpretation of a French classic.

Somehow I had no shortage of energy in shooting this concert. I wish I could snap my fingers and post the whole thing. Greg's performance was amazing. Gene was wonderful. Great performances all around. There was something about those Cabezas dudes that energized us all.

www.chapdoc.com
www.chapman-design.com

Wed May 04, 2016 6:35 pm