It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:01 pm

How long did it take you to decide to buy a Stick? 

Immediately! 26%  26%  [ 9 ]
3 months 17%  17%  [ 6 ]
6 months 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
1 year 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
2 years 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
3... 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
4... 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
5... 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
6... 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
7... 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
8... 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
9... 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
10... 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
>10... 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
>15... 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
>20... 17%  17%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 35

Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: How long did it take you to decide to buy a Stick?
Saw Tony play with Crimson in the summer of 1984, tried one out at a music store in February 1985 while shopping for a new keyboard.

Was immediately hooked and put money down on it then and there....

So my answers are 6 months and immediately... I'll flip a coin to see who wins for the survey...

6 months won the coin toss. But would you be willing to rephrase the question, with embellishments?

Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:31 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

It took me about 5 years to finally decide to buy a Stick. I remember looking at the Stick website when I was 15 and thinking, "Well, ONE DAY I'll have the money and the musical knowledge to handle it!"

Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Luc wrote:
I had to say >20 years, because I had first thought of it back in the middle-80's and knew I wanted to get one, but it took me until 2 years ago to finally do it. Otherwise, I'd have said immediately.

Like Luc, I saw the Stick over 20 years ago, thanks to Tony Levin at a Peter Gabriel show, and I knew I wanted one, but it was seeing one played at a local gig about 2 years ago that made my mind up. I went on the SE website that weekend and put my order in!

-Marc-

Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:57 pm

Once I saw Bob at Pier 39 in SF, it was all over.
Immediately had to have it.
Took me a year to save up and then I bought a Alto.
Now I have a Blue Railboard being setup now.
Will have it in my greedy little hands within a month. Muahhhahahaa

:D

Rosewood Alto #5764

Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:09 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

greg wrote:
But would you be willing to rephrase the question, with embellishments?

....I'd be happy to rephrase and embellish; what did you have in mind?

10-String Grand Stick #5466

Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:02 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

28 years to be exact. The usual, went to see Gabriel's Shock The Monkey tour in '83 and pined for one ever since. It was a mid-life thing.... I turned 50 and earned my Master's the same year. It was the best present I ever gave myself!!! The first time I ever held a Stick was at one of the Woodland Hill's Stick Nights a few years ago...'11. Met Don, Greg and also Emmett who handed me his to hold!!! So glad mine was being made at that moment.

9/5/11... proud owner of Stick #6085, a "Classy" Wenge 10 with Stickup and glow linears!!

=/=====>

So Cal. Stick Seminar 2012 @ Mira Costa
FHA 2013 - Bel-Air (1 day)
FHA 2014 - Bel-Air

Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:35 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

October 15, 1977, Peter Gabriel concert in Bern (Festhalle), Switzerland.

Attachment:
TL_15.10.1977.jpg

I was mesmerized by the bald guy who looked like "drawing" bass lines on a bizarre instrument.

A couple of months later, I passed by a music store in Lausanne and saw Stick #566 displayed. Entered the music store and bought it immediately (second hand: around 600 $ –1977 $, that's around 1200 $ today, i think).

I still have it. Emmett refurbished it in 2003. Plays very well!

Attachment:
566.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:25 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I ticked "immediately" since I could not find the option "three to five minutes", that actually is the time it took me for deciding to buy a Stick. The background is that I have always been very keen on playing fretless guitars but suffering from the fact that rapid chord playing isn't really possible on those instruments. I also thought that a baritone guitar would produce a better fretless tone due to its longer string length/scale. Then I found out about the Half Fretless NS Stick and it seemed to be perfect for me. I took a few minutes to read on the Stick.com site and realised that the NS was not as good for two handed tapping as a Grand would be. Another background is that I had for a long time been a sucker for music where the player uses both hands to play dual, independent, parts; like in piano music, harp music and African Kora music. I had been performing extensively with live looping gear for almost a decade - using a lot of flute, guitar, sax... all typical monophonic non-multi tasking instruments, and I was a bit fed up with the limitation in live looping regarding rubato playing and all kind of "tempo changes on-the-fly" (loops just repeat as you recorded them and if it's technically possible for a solo performer to keep changing the audio content of a handfull spinning loops it does put some restrictions to your abilities to "improvise composition"). The Stick seemed to offer quite a lot of what I had been longing for. It took three to five minutes to decide that I should start with a Grand and then, if I liked it, get a Half Fretless NS. Well, I got pretty hooked on the Grand and eventually found that the SG12 have a sound that suits me better, so today I only keep the Grand in the hardshell while playing SG12. As for my expansion ideas on the fretless side I picked up an electric cello and found that more useful since you get to use a bow as well - the typical "fretless guitar with Ebow" is rather boring if comparing to the real cello sound with options like spicatto and those lovely aggressive overtone trash-scapes.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:10 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I was hooked instantly with the sound of the Stick after listening to Tony Levin in "elephant talk". But the turning point for my desicion to get one was with Trey Gunn in "The First Day" (David Sylvian and Robert Fripp) and Charlie Hunter's debut cd (he plays an 8 string guitar bass and guitar strings simultaneously).

On a "sad" note I spent almost five years without playing it, I started getting gigs where I didn't needed it and I don't know why I stopped playing it altogether... Until two years ago, I went with my family to San Francisco and caught a performance by Bob Culbertson and was hooked again! Now I play it every day and always try to fit it into at least a few songs in the bands I play with.

https://www.facebook.com/rulyongo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQk_6T ... rOoBXeHHUA

Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:37 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I tried out my first stick at the 2009 Vancouver seminar. I wanted one immediately, but it took a couple months to decide if I could afford it and place my order.

The first time I ever saw a stick was John Myung on "New Millenium" (Live at Budokan?)

The Radnecks

http://www.theradnecks.com

Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:41 pm