It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 pm

How long did it take you to decide to buy a Stick? 

Immediately! 26%  26%  [ 9 ]
3 months 17%  17%  [ 6 ]
6 months 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
1 year 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
2 years 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
3... 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
4... 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
5... 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
6... 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
7... 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
8... 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
9... 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
10... 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
>10... 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
>15... 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
>20... 17%  17%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 35

Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: How long did it take you to decide to buy a Stick?
Read about it in ninth grade (1984), finally got one in the Recycler for $500 from a guy in Silverlake (1988). I had decided to buy one as soon as I had the money for it, which wasn't until I finished High School.

Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Saw Hans Hartmann playing Stick in Berlin around 1987. Found a CD with Marco Cerletti soon after. Decided that I wanted one but this was WAY before internet and it took several weeks to find out where they were made and how to order one. There was a company in Oslo/Norway that sold the Stick at that time. Don´t remember their name. They had two products that they sold. The Stick and a VERY expensive sampling system called the Wave Frame or something similar. A 400.000 dollar sampler competing with Fairlight and Synclavier. I ordered a Stick through them and got it 4 months later. They went out of business a couple of weeks later..... I think that the only thing they ever sold was my Stick.....

So the things that got me hooked on the Stick was Cerletti and Hans Hartmann. I started playing in a band half a year later where pretty much all members were into Gabriel and Crimson. I had listened alot to early Genesis but had totally missed Gabriel after he´d left Genesis. Did not know who Tony Levin was until I started playing with this band but soon noticed that I had LOTS of albums that he played on. Lennon, Paul Simon, Joan Armatrading and lots of others. But I had no idea that it was him playing and was not even familiar with his name. Went to music school at that time and this was under the years when LA/fusion was popular. Not my cup of tea. Everyone was talking about Mike Stern, Pastorius, Steely Dan, Lee Ritenour, Toto and thos guys at school. None was talking about King Crimson or british symphonic rock...... :D But I slowly learned from my band mates. Learned more about music from them than what I did in music school..... Any way. Cerletti and Hartmann! Thanks!!

//J

-Mobilis in mobil-

Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:45 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Went to see HoBoLeMa (Holdsworth, Bozzio, Levin, Mastelotto) for my birthday. I was primarily a drummer at the time, so I really wanted to see Bozzio. Levin busted out the Stick, and I was like :o . I wanted one, but I made myself wait 3 weeks to ensure I'm not making an expensive snap decision.

After 3 weeks of thinking, I ended up getting a used Megatar. The price of the Stick was just too much to put down on an instrument I've never played before. I enjoyed the playing style, but my small hands had issues with the wide tapered neck. After 3 months, I took the plunge and ordered a new Stick. So I guess it took me around 4 months to actually decide to get a Stick (but deciding I wanted one was pretty much instant).

Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:59 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Let me put it this way: When I first heard the stick, I didn't think much of it. Once I SAW a stick (being played by Don Schiff), I got poop-your-pants excited and spent the next ten years or so lusting after one.

Steven on Youtube
Steven on Sound Cloud

Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:21 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

how long does it take to drive from Exit 9 on the NJTurnpike to 48th Street in NYC? when i found out Sam Ash had one in their store i dont think i even bothered to look at my gas gauge. (my guitarist threatened to cut off the melody strings. he didnt) that was '83 i believe-its Ironwood #1212

Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery