It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

How long to warm up, and how? 

How long do you spend warming up when you first pick up your Stick?
20 more than 20 minutes 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
15-20 minutes 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
10-15 minutes 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
5-10 minutes 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
0-5 minutes 36%  36%  [ 8 ]
I don't need no steenking warm up! 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
As long as it takes to eat a single donut 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Meow 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 22

How long to warm up, and how? 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: How long to warm up, and how?
When I practice at home, I don't warm up.

I've broken down my repertoire in so called "practice lists" A, B, C, D and F, each list containing 12 songs. So, every day I play the songs of one list, without warming up, in order to be prepared for any gigging situation. This takes around 45 minutes. I then work on new covers and play the "most recently arranged" songs, mainly to make sure that I don't forget the lyrics (no prompter allowed).

It works well for me, and allows me to play live without warming up, although I feel more "into it" after a couple of songs.

On the vocal side, I used to warm up in my car on my way to the gig a coupla years ago. I don't do it anymore, but I begin the set with a song that doesn't require too much vocal acrobacy.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:18 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Olivier wrote:
I've broken down my repertoire in so called "practice lists" A, B, C, D and F, each list containing 12 songs. So, every day I play the songs of one list, without warming up, in order to be prepared for any gigging situation.

...this is a good idea IMHO...thanks... :D

Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:15 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Chapter 2 of The Stick Book.

I still use these exercises as warmups, especially the melody intervals exercise, and repeated notes will really get your hands moving:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVNNUHKZWLw[/youtube]

Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Balt

The "barry Harris" is in reference to the Bebop pianist of the same name who has a detailed method for learning bebop. This particular exercise involves a way of using the "bebop scale" and passing tones to play melodic lines and always end on a chord tone for the next chord.

Kind of hard to explain in a few words but a really great system to have under your fingers for II V I bebop lines.

Brett

Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:06 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Hello Brett,

thanks for your answer... :D
...if it's possible to warm up with this stuff, is there a short version or example for let's say II-7 to V7 progression?...

thanks...

Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:42 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I usually just start playing chromatic scales in either B or G Maj, this has been my habit so far...

From there I play:
C Maj diatonic triads (1 5 3 in bass) ... maybe G Maj
Scales: Natural Min
Blues
Half Dim

I play a song as soon as I can after that to keep it real and performance based

That's about it these days. I'm starting to get some Stickist Hanon together, more so based on interval jumps. It seems that moving out from linear scales is important for ones melody.

It became pretty obvious from an early stage, that stringed instrument require you to warm before a gig. The motor memory is too fine to not warm up, unless you've been playing for a very long time. Making the decision to warm up before a gig might just be the best gift one can give ones fabulous stickist self.

A topic for another thread perhaps, but learning to sing just a few notes in a scale/key and then being able to accurately sing those notes as well as visualise where they are whilst away from the touch board, this is a great kill one of the Melbourne jazz fuckers shared with me last week. I'm going to have to try it soon.

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:45 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Stickrad

Learning to sing/hear the note IS THE biggest deal you can ever do in music. I'm glad you have discovered this!! Learn the sound and role of chord tones and learn to sing solo using solfege, also hearing/singing the root movement of the bass line is essential.

Balt I will try to start another thread about bebop theory and playing (not enough of this type of content on this sight) I would prefer to do so in video form so I may see if I can figure out how to do that.

Brett

Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:58 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I never warmed up when I used to play shows (on keyboard). It was never an issue for me. We had a few songs that required big jumps or fast movements, but we never opened with them, so I guess I might have warmed up for more technical stuff during earlier songs. On occasion, we played shows during cold weather. Nothing is worse than playing a show when your hands are literally cold. It requires a little different style of warming up.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:39 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I've never formally , really thought of "warming up , I just kind of , jump right in there and go through my repertoire of songs and start with the ones that are the most firmiliar to the most challenging. It usually starts with the most comfy groove with some foot tapping then I work on the areas that I have the most difficulty, usually it has to do with ,working , sometimes crawling through polyrhythms or a bass lines and a vocal melody and bass chords.

Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:08 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I'm with Megatapper here; usually starting out with something slow like Saite's Gnosienn No #1 and one of my own tunes in a similar style/tempo. This gives me a chance to listen to the location's acoustic ambience and make corrections to amp eq and string tuning during the fist piece I play. These days I never play without an audience and when street busking there is no chance for a sound check either. The moment you plug in a STick a crowd forms and from there on you have to go with what gives. I use to tune the instrument before leaving home and the minute before I start playing I "think music" so my nerves and brain waves will be in the right working mode for playing. I think that is the most important "warm up"; thinking notes and making sure you have a good audio vision of them in your imagination - tuning up your inner ear, so to say.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery