It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 am

What tuning do you have on your Stick(s)? 

10-string: Match Reciprocal 11%  11%  [ 15 ]
10-string: 10-String Classic 16%  16%  [ 22 ]
10-string: Baritone Melody 10%  10%  [ 13 ]
10-string: Deep Baritone Melody 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
10-string: Deep Matched Reciprocal 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
10-string: Dual Bass Reciprocal 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
12-string: Matched Reciprocal 6+6 13%  13%  [ 17 ]
12-string: 12-String Classic 6+6 13%  13%  [ 18 ]
12-string: Matched Reciprocal with high bass 4th 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
12-string: 12-String Classic with high bass 4th 4%  4%  [ 6 ]
12-string: Deep Matched Reciprocal 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
12-string: Dual Bass Reciprocal 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
12-string: Mirrored 4ths 6+6 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
12-string: 12-String Classic 7+5 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
8-string SB8: Standard Bass 4ths 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
8-string SB8: Guitar Intervals 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
8-string SB8: Guitar Lower Octave 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
8-string SB8: Interior Matched Reciprocal 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
8-string SB8: Interior 8-String Classic 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
8-string SB8: Interior Dual Bass Reciprocal 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
8-string NS/Stick: Standard Bass 4ths 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
8-string NS/Stick: Guitar Intervals 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
8-string NS/Stick: Guitar Lower Intervals 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Alto Stick: Alto Stick 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Alto Stick: Greg's Extended Alto 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Alto Stick: Bob's Extended Alto 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Stick Guitar (SG12): Matched Reciprocal SG12 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
Stick Guitar (SG12): Classic SG12 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Stick Guitar (SG12): Dual Guitar 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Stick Guitar (SG12): Offset Guitars 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Stick Guitar (SG12): Mirrored 4ths "Piano" 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Stick Guitar (SG12): Mirrored 4ths "Guitar" 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 134

Site Admin

Post What tuning do you have on your Stick(s)?
Huge selection from SEI :o
Multiple selections and change of vote allowed.

Select "Other" for a tuning not listed and post below your tuning.

Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post Re: What tuning do you have on your Stick(s)?
10-string with baritone melody.

//J

Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:38 pm
Contributor
Contributor

SB8 with standard 4th tuning.

I've been playing standard 4ths for so long I couldn't imagine playing anything else - perhaps I'm a little too set in my ways.

That's primarily why I went with the SB8 in that configuration: I just wanted something I could take out of the box, strap it on and start playing without having to learn a new way of playing.

SB8 Stick Bass #5509, Standard 4th Tuning, Rosewood w/Linear Inlaid Frets

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:56 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Deep Baritone Melody represent!

Solo Sounds | Southern Panhandle - Improg Sounds | #5527 (Dark Bamboo, Deep Baritone Melody, Stickup)

Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:21 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I'm very much surprised there are so few using raised 4ths.

I remember talking to Emmet about this years ago before I bought my grand. At first I thought it inefficient in memorizing patterns on the 5ths bass side but he said it offers more chordal voicing. At first it took me a long time to use the string as I was used to playing a 10 string. Now, I'm using it as much as any other and appreciate the potential.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:35 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Panther wrote:
I'm very much surprised there are so few using raised 4ths.

I remember talking to Emmet about this years ago before I bought my grand. At first I thought it inefficient in memorizing patterns on the 5ths bass side but he said it offers more chordal voicing. At first it took me a long time to use the string as I was used to playing a 10 string. Now, I'm using it as much as any other and appreciate the potential.
Hi Panther,

I love the high bass 4th. I have it on my SG12 and my Grand. Try tuning it down sometime to a minor 3rd, also very useful.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Greg,
I'm always amazed at the various tunings you and other players experiment with. I'm still working on playing in "shapes/patterns" vs memorizing notes, scales and chords. The raised 4th is the only tuning change I've made, unless I can get another stick, probably my last (c:
Leeland

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:51 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Panther wrote:
Hi Greg,
I'm always amazed at the various tunings you and other players experiment with. I'm still working on playing in "shapes/patterns" vs memorizing notes, scales and chords. The raised 4th is the only tuning change I've made, unless I can get another stick, probably my last (c:
Leeland

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk
One of the greatest things about the basic method of tapping Emmett discovered (Free Hands) is that it is independent of the tuning. Free Hands works on a unified group of strings (SB8), two groups of identical strings (mirrored 4ths), or strings with different tunings (like the Classic tuning)

Through the same orientation of the fingers with the frets that guitarists have enjoyed in the left hand, Emmett's right hand's fingers could follow the line of notes along the string, which is, for tapping, a much more versatile approach than was done previously. As cool as The Stick is, the greatest contribution Emmett has made to the development of music is probably the discovery and development of this very flexible playing method. Without the method, The Stick, and all of the instruments that have been introduced over the years that are based on Free Hands, simply wouldn't have happened.

Emmett had requests for custom tunings almost from the beginning, but it took some time to develop instrument hardware that would support this in a broader way and fit the instrument's design. He had developed a complete approach to accompaniment that was based on the Classic tuning, so that's the tuning he taught.

For the past 19 years he's made instruments that better supported the user's desire to be able to experiment with tunings (fully adjustable bridge and easily adjustable truss). The current ability we have to experiment with tunings is also made possible precisely because of the Free Hands method's flexibility.

I have experimented with a lot of tunings over the years, but the core of 4ths for rapid-fire and expressive melodic work and inverted 5ths for a broad-based accompaniment engine always brings me back. If you are willing to incorporate hand movement, instead of relying on position play in your left-hand approach, almost all of the issues people raise about the 5ths can be overcome, and quickly become irrelevant. The only two issues that remain are the ability to play closed-voice chords (this is accomplished by altering the higher strings as with the high bass 4th) and sight-reading music written for other instruments. This last one seems to be a real hangup for some people, so they opt for 4ths. Again, the method is the same, and supports any tuning concept. No one tuning will give your hand everything, so a "whole-instrument" approach should also be part of the player's skill set.

The recommended tunings on the Stick website come from proven track record of those tunings. These include instructional materials and a body of creative work that support them (there are around 100 CDs now available from stick.com, thousands of pieces have been composed for the 5ths/4ths tuning, with millions of hours of music enjoyed by players and audiences alike). I'm sure this listing will grow as more and more players develop their art to a certain level (as Rob has clearly done with mirrored 4ths).

Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:29 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

My Alto is in Standard Alto tuning. The SG12 is in MR, but the bass side is dropped by a step (gives me the same tuning as my 10-string Alto but with a new low string on both sides). Both have custom string sets (Emmett rules 8-) )

http://www.heartstringslive.com
http://www.youtube.com/tapper1472

"With one note you can shatter a thousand notes" - Carlos Santana

Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:54 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Greg wrote:
Quote:
I have experimented with a lot of tunings over the years, but the core of 4ths for rapid-fire and expressive melodic work and inverted 5ths for a broad-based accompaniment engine always brings me back. If you are willing to incorporate hand movement, instead of relying on position play in your left-hand approach, almost all of the issues people raise about the 5ths can be overcome, and quickly become irrelevant. The only two issues that remain are the ability to play closed-voice chords (this is accomplished by altering the higher strings as with the high bass 4th) and sight-reading music written for other instruments. This last one seems to be a real hangup for some people, so they opt for 4ths. Again, the method is the same, and supports any tuning concept. No one tuning will give your hand everything, so a "whole-instrument" approach should also be part of the player's skill set.

Greg, there is more to fourths than sight-reading...there is a whole alternate pedagogy.

Emmett Chapman's Free Hands allowed a fretboard instrument to become fully polyphonic, capable of playing independent melodies simultaneously. It was an important innovation.

But EC has put his efforts as musician and teacher into his ingenious inverted fifths tuning, which facilitates improvisation--and which also makes the polyphonic texture, revolutionary consequence of Free Hands, difficult to play. With thirty-five years of instructional material favoring inverted fifths, the polyphonic fretboard remains largely unexplored.

Mirrored fourths will play a sizable chunk of the polyphonic keyboard literature, much more than fifths will, and this includes lots of instructional material by the masters, starting at the very beginning. You can also study four-part harmony on the fretboard.

To me, piano method on the Stick is a perfectly logical expression of the multi-voice possibilities of Free Hands.

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery