It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:40 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 What musical instruments did you play prior to the Stick? 

guitar 25%  25%  [ 96 ]
bass 24%  24%  [ 92 ]
keyboard 18%  18%  [ 70 ]
wind 10%  10%  [ 37 ]
strings 6%  6%  [ 22 ]
percussion 10%  10%  [ 39 ]
other 7%  7%  [ 25 ]
none 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 384

Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: What musical instruments did you play prior to the Stick
Abby; I was stationed when in the Airforce at Clark. I got to Manila and Angelese. Sorry if it's not spelled right. Got to ride in Jittney and Kaleshia.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:50 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I started to play guitar in '69...few years after the bass. In the seventies I touched a little bit of many different instruments...percussions, mandoline, trumpet, saxophone, etc...Middle of '80s I learned how to write for big band and of course sections. Section of 5 sax, 4 tpt, 4 tb and rythm section. Even though I don't play sax, tpt and tb, I know how to write for them. And then in 2009 I started cello and finally in 2010 the stick. I also have a Kelstone...got it in 2011...another tapping instrument this Kelstone.

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:12 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

i have always played the bass .started in 1980 wanted a stick since 84 got my first one in 95 but really didnt understand music enough to use it then i grew up and did some serious musings over the fifths tuning and meditated for about 15 years before i finally got the cash up for my tarrara 10 string stickup equipped stick . i spend most of my time on it now! even though i have such a love for the bass .the stick has given me such a rich musical experience and education ,inspiration i believe any instrument i am inspired by is not out of reach to learn or play. i guess what i mean is that i no longer feel limited as a bass player or stick player i am ,as michael hedges once said , a musician.

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:25 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

can't believe i never filled this out. started hitting things early on (but never played kit drums) acoustic guitar (couldn't play chords) electric (couldn't play that either) bought a bass on insistance of 2 guitarist friends that needed a bass player, upright in jr. high, trombone junior yr. h.s., orchestral perc., violin for about two seconds, always had a keyboard around to figure out chords, 4,5,& 8string frettless (the 8string didn't start out that way-claw hammer) CHAPMANN STICK in '85 (#1212), but didn't get serious w Stick until Nov.18,'09. sold the basses in '11 for a powered loudspeaker. BOOM

peace, -marty

Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:06 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Been playing bass and guitar for about 12 years; I started focusing on bass really by about 9 years ago. Still consider myself a bassist, but I'm trying to become a Stickist (slow process is maddening). Most of my composition is on guitar, instrumental fingerstyle in the vein of Michael Hedges (if I may be allowed to make such a grandiose comparison to myself). I think many of the tunes I've written will translate to the Stick.

I teeter between extremely excited and extremely discouraged about the Stick. I'm glad I have all these positive role models around!

Rosewood 12-string Grand, PASV-4, #6500

http://www.youtube.com/user/canyonkafer
http://soundcloud.com/canyon-kafer

Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:54 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

canyon: COMMIT TO THE STICK. it's too easy to play the other instruments. afterthought: something i been thinking of asking u guys for a while- anyone come up w a quick-release-removable belthook? u know, so you can play lying down like a lazy guitarist(or bassist)?

peace and relaxation, -marty

Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

drums, violin, cello, bass, guitar, keys, tablas and clarinet....stick is still my favorite

Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:55 pm

Drums and guitar in high school. It was through Stick that I became a bass player.

Ironwood #1136
https://www.facebook.com/05Ric
http://www.05ric.co.uk/05Ric___The_official_website_of_05Ric/HOME.html

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:16 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

It's not on the list but I came to the Stick from pedal steel guitar. I got my first standard 6 string electric guitar in 1961,then turned pro and went on the road from 1966 to 1973 playing lead guitar and occasionally electric bass for rock & roll,R&B and what I call "funk that passes for jazz" bands. I became enamored by the liquid sound of West Coast hot licks style pedal steel after seeing Ralph Mooney, Rusty Young,Sneaky Pete Kleinow and Buddy Cage in the early 70s and figured I could do that too. So I bought a 10 string MSA tuned to E9 chromatic with 5 pedals & 5 knee levers and in 1973,said goodbye to Virginia Beach and moved to California to become a Steel player which is exactly what I did.Over the years I also learned non-pedal (fixed tuning) multi-neck console and lap steel in C6,B11,E13 tunings and its cousin, Dobro in both DADGAD and G tunings which were all considerably more difficult for me than pedal steel. In 2003 I took up Mandolin on a dare which I found to be fairly easy and studied it pretty seriously for about 5 or 6 years. About 3 years ago I got the bug to take a serious stab at Chapman Stick and obtained an older Ironwood 10 string from a friend's closet. A serious illness in 2011 set me back a couple years but then when the first batch of Railboards hit the street I made sure a blue one had my name on it. I'd been good friends with one or two very good Stick players for many years so I've always understood the tuning and technique pretty well - in theory. So now I'm in the process of working out moves & fingerings for myself so I can transfer 50 years of music rattling around in my head to the Stick fingerboard. Hopefully I'll live long enough to do that in a manner that others might find interesting.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:36 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Started on piano at 5 (I'm 51 now); as a kid I played the recorder some (my mom played with a Recorder Society) and then got into the sax in elementary school, which led to clarinet, bass clarinet, and bari sax in middle school. Picked up the guitar around 12, got my first guitar at 13 and that was it for me for the longest time, as well as a bit of Bass. I was also trained as a studio engineer (analog), so eventually I got into computer music and synthesis as well.

Thu May 17, 2018 11:02 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next