It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 What musical instruments did you play prior to the Stick? 

guitar 25%  25%  [ 96 ]
bass 24%  24%  [ 92 ]
keyboard 18%  18%  [ 70 ]
wind 10%  10%  [ 37 ]
strings 6%  6%  [ 22 ]
percussion 10%  10%  [ 39 ]
other 7%  7%  [ 25 ]
none 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 384

Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: What musical instruments did you play prior to the Stick?
Started on keys/piano when I was 14, stepped up to bass when I was 19 and stuck with it until I was 30, then incorporated a guitar into the act.

SB8 Stick Bass #5509, Standard 4th Tuning, Rosewood w/Linear Inlaid Frets

Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:53 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Keys (piano, organ and synths), saxes, clarinet, bass clarinet, all with some training,
timpani, mallets, flute, EWI (analog version), prepared and normal flute all with no training,
Voice with no training and lots of straining.

Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

greg wrote:
Keys (piano, organ and synths), saxes, clarinet, bass clarinet, all with some training,
timpani, mallets, flute, EWI (analog version), prepared and normal flute all with no training,

So you didn't play any string instruments before Stick? That gives me hope, I felt like the only one :)

I started on piano as a kid, also played concert percussion in school. Got more serious about music on mallet percussion in high school and college. Recently began playing drum set, and most recently Megatar.

Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:23 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Nomad Monday wrote:
greg wrote:

So you didn't play any string instruments before Stick? That gives me hope, I felt like the only one :)

I started on piano as a kid, also played concert percussion in school. Got more serious about music on mallet percussion in high school and college. Recently began playing drum set, and most recently Megatar.

I always listened to guitarists with envy, for the sonic capabilities, especially bending and distortion. As a huge fan of Fripp, Howe, Terry Cath (the first Chicago album is a true "jam band" album with amazing guitar playing), The Beatles, and more experimental musicians like Terje Rypdal and Steve Tibbetts, I loved the guitar's expressiveness, but turned to the sax as my vehicle for it (ironic to me now, since the sax had been the inspiration for so many of lead guitarists in the 50's and 60s). I used distortion on my Fender Rhodes and organs for a while (inspired by Deep Purple's John Lord in particular), but I was only kidding myself about how it stacked up.

Imagine how psyched I was to find The Stick :!:
Two parts AND bending, vibrato, distortion....
The best of all worlds, and a really easy transition from the keyboard.

Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:51 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post Re: What musical instruments did you play prior to the Stick
Been playing drums since I was 10 and a half. It's been an amazing ride, but the Stick, well it's the Omni-instrument that makes all things possible.

Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:09 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

The usuals - Electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass, keyboards. Since stick I have also started attempting drums.

I put acoustic and Electric guitars seperately as I use them differently. Electric is mostly dodgy widdling cranked loud and acoustic is mostly fingerpicking in alt tunings.

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:34 am

I've been playing the piano since I was a kid. Still play with it and the Stick in my band. I also do vocals :)

#5201 Paduak Grand Stick - Matched Reciprocal
#6082 Dark Bamboo 10-string Stick - Matched Reciprocal
Nord Electro 3

Personal
Likepage

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:08 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Started with electric guitar as a teenager. Added tenor sax a decade later. Added Alto Flute (because it is so good for electronic processing and small to travel with) another decade later as well as fretless guitar. In 2006 I got a chance to also add an EWI 4000s as I passed by San José Guitar Center in USA and was offered to get one "for the in price" (could not afford one in Sweden where I live). I would also like to own and play bass clarinet and an SG12. What have always kept me, and still keeps me, from playing all the instruments I would like to is lack of money to buy good instruments. The 12 stringed Grand Stick is my latest expansion, about four months effective playing time now since I bought it. The guitar has always been the main instrument that people hire me to play professionally but lately I have also been asked to play the EWI in a pro setting, taking on the role of "the electronician" in a band.

EDIT:
Just want to add that since I wrote the above I have been able to pick up a SG12 as well. The Grand and the SG12 is a great combo for recording! But for solo concerts I'm mostly bringing the SG12, sometimes in combination with the Alto Flute.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Last edited by Per Boysen on Tue May 24, 2011 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:32 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Started with the clarinet at 12 years old. Few years later moved to bass clarinet. Began for my love of everything bass (I know bass clarinet still plays on the treble clef). Switched to bass before getting my first stick which I am still trying to master! ;)

Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:24 am

First at 12 was Sax. After about a year I realised it was not really for me. When I turned fourteen I got my first bass!

Four years later KCrimson Discipline came out. That same year I saw an add fo strange guitar called TheStick in a (guitar or bass) magazine. The add was the left third of a whole page. It was a big neck with ten strings and two hands on it. There was no headstock or pickup. The hands looked like they were two seperate pictures of hands on this big neck. One going one way and one the other with no way to orient your eye.

The only type said "How far can you take it"..."The Stick". That image sat like a splinter in my mind. Another six years and I jumped in :mrgreen:...

Shedua, #2080, 10-String, Dual Bass Reciprocal, (medium guage 1-5, heavy guage 6-10), PAS-V 4, Silver and Black tuners, Paua inlays.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:44 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next