It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 What musical instruments did you play prior to the Stick? 

guitar 25%  25%  [ 96 ]
bass 24%  24%  [ 92 ]
keyboard 18%  18%  [ 70 ]
wind 10%  10%  [ 37 ]
strings 6%  6%  [ 22 ]
percussion 10%  10%  [ 39 ]
other 7%  7%  [ 25 ]
none 1%  1%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 384

Location: From far away as Jupiter sulfur mines, way down by the methane sea.
Post Re: What musical instruments did you play prior to the Stick
I started as a kid on piano ....for ~10years but gradually grew to hate the lessons and the regiment. Curiously...I still process most musical ideas like I was sitting at the piano, and I can't live without one in the house even though I only use it cathartically and as a tool for writing stuff out on paper.

I have always had a guitar around the house...so I can easily amuse myself with a 6-string, but I never learned the correlation between the notes on the page and the positions on the fretboard, so my utility in traditional ensembles is limited. But......when playing with a group, I can usually "find" stuff to play.

My main axe is Tuba. I played all through secondary ed. and college (Orchestra, Band, Brass Ensemble, etc). I continue to play fairly actively. Sometimes bent toward avante garde/experimental, but extending to parochial music, gospel/blues/jazz, ragtime, indi-rock, and traditional brass trio/quartet/quintet settings. The Tuba is so much fun.

I have picked-up the Chapman Stick as an adjunct to my tuba. Folks are often asking me if I also play bass....and I go "what wrong with tuba, I can cover that bass stuff on tuba...what's the deal". Plus, "everyone plays bass", and a lot of my friends play bass and I don't want to queue-up with "everyone", so I bought a Stick. My hope is that I will stay more active in music with a second instrument...and that instrument will be Stick. It's a heck of a lot lighter than tuba! I love the prospect of Stick in the role of the bass instrument, but with the addition of the melody side also, everything is there...all the time! There is just so much to explore with the Stick and I am excited to learn. Very, very, very cool instrument!!

Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:18 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I had taken various piano classes. I had played *some* guitar (and I am not down playing what the word "some" means). However, since I was 16 I had been playing Harmonica in bands. I did freelance studio work, played with a number of bands and artists. I did play both chromatic and Diatonic.

Red Railboard Classic

Host of Beyond the Playlist with JHammondC

Tue May 24, 2011 6:37 am

Thus far I'm part of the minority. The stick is my first instrument (and I'm nearly 40).

I'll blame my parents for the fact that it took so long for me to get around to music. What do you want when the only music (if you can call it that) you hear in your childhood home is "easy listening?" :D

-m.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:55 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I use to play a Conn Organ, then went to violin, Lever Harp, 60 Bass Accordian and now the 12 String Dark bamboo MR Stick.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:26 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Harpo wrote:
Conn Organ
I play a Conn saxophone, wondering if that's the same manufacturing company as behind your organ?

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Hasn't this thread made the rounds before? Always fun none the less though.

I was a saxophone student from a single digit age through college (I'm 50 now). Since we were talking brands, my last horn was a pro-model made by H.Couf which later became Keilwerth. Oddly enough, after all that education, I do not own a horn today. Have considered taking up the EWI though.

We always had a piano and I've played since I was probably two. Mostly self-taught but was required to study piano more formally as a university music student and I do read for piano (albeit slow). The tech-nerd in me made the transformation into electric keys/synths very naturally and I love them.

Guitar and bass. Started when I was 18 and never looked back. I still love the guitar and play both acoustic and electric, fingerstyle and picked.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:51 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Guitar, bass, mandolin, piano (city college), choir (city college..again), drums (if they were left at my house) and French horn (high school).

Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:57 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

gpoorman wrote:
Have considered taking up the EWI though.
Glad to read that! I do quite a lot of Akai 4000s playing beside the Stick and other stuff. Let me know if you ever need hints on programming playable sound patches for EWI, it is quite different compared to most keyboard based default synth patches.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Boyson, Same Instrument Co. (Double Keyboard with Pedals) :D

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:45 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Electric and acoustic guitar styles. Flute. Harmonica (cross harp, blues style). Pedal Steel guitar (E9th, 3 pedals, 4 knee levers). Voice... and all manner of foolishness

Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:46 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next