It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:26 am

How to decide between options 

Post How to decide between options
Living in a country where there are no Sticks or even outlets stocking this. But I am really keen buying. I can't find a feature list to help make a decision (Stick website gives component lists, etc, but it is not clear what the differences are).
If someone could perhaps give advise, or refer me to sources where I can find information.

How does one decide between:
* the different models
* 10 or 12 string - Does 12 add more versatility?
* hard wood or bamboo - Are the differences aesthetic, or does the material influence the ambience?
* Pickup: how does one decide on this?

What is the learning curve? I have a history of playing both guitar and keyboards (professionally). The answer will of course depend on many things, but how long does it typically take to master the instrument? a month? a year? ten years?

Thank you
Jacques

Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:49 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: How to decide between options
12-string does add more versatility. Many people do just fine with 10. In my opinion, the large variety of tunings on 10-strings are mainly to cope with not having the range of a 12-string. With 10-strings you may find more position shifting is required, and having which fret range to use is decided for you more than if you have 12.

Bamboo vs. hardwood is mainly a decision of aesthetic and weight.

What model you want relates strongly to what range of notes you are interested in having. Are you looking more at the guitar range (SG-12) like Per Boysen masters? Are you looking for the tight Alto range? Do you want a full piano range (Grand Stick)? The feel of the instruments are all fairly similar until you are an expert, so this should not be a deciding factor.

For pickups, look at Greg Howard's video for pickup sound. After hearing the sounds, remember that the order of signal strength from strong to weak is ACTV-2, PASV-4 and Stickup. Stickup benefits strongly from a good pre-amp, ACTV-2 almost not at all, and PASV-4 is somewhere in the middle.

Hopefully this helps.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:31 am

Thanks a lot sagehalo - this is extremely useful!
I will do some more homework on this.

jq

Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:41 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Hi Jacques,

Just my two cents:

* the different models
Personally I find the classic 10 string Stick the most appealing as the starting point. The 12 string Grand is more versatile, but smaller string spacing makes it slightly more demanding. The 10 string Grand with the increased string spacing is an option if you have really large hands. There is also the aluminum Railboard with slightly increased string spacing and different neck profile. The Alto Stick and SG12 are lightweight interesting options if you do not need the low end notes. There're also the NS Stick and the 8-string Stick Bass, but I think they're rather intended to be "extended bass guitars" than "portable pianos" (which is what I like to think the Stick is).

* 10 or 12 string - Does 12 add more versatility?
12 indeed does add more versatility, but 10 strings also gives you a vast range, 12 will rather give you more overlap which can be useful sometimes. Personally I'd rather have two tenstrings in different tunings than a grand.

* hard wood or bamboo - Are the differences aesthetic, or does the material influence the ambience?
According to Emmett, the choice of the laminate material is purely aesthetical. Different woods might weight differently, but they don't affect the sound noticeably.

* Pickup: how does one decide on this?
There's a pickup comparison by Greg Howard:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlxgqXv74FQ[/youtube]
Personally I'm a fan of the stickup sound. It's probably the least versatile pickup, but I love its tone.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:08 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanks a million Fuzzyjammer!!!

Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:00 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

What's been said so far is right on target. I've heard others say a 12 string spacing is a little tight but I had no issues whatsoever going from 10 to 12 - none. Any pickup will be fine. I tried them all and ended up with a Stickup. How long does it take to master? How long is a piece of string? There's all sorts of Stick players. You have your bass player/Stick dabbler, your new age noodler, your pentatonic metal shredder etc - all the way up to your serious career Stick soloist who reads music, has a large repitoire of various styles, has multiple recordings, books and instructional materials for sale, can play legit concerts to a ticket buying sit down audience of avid followers. Most are somewhere in the middle. If you have a pro music background, fairly advanced information gathering/problem solving skills and practice at least 2 hours a day you could be making interesting sounds right away and playing pretty good 2 handed Stick in a couple years. For other good players to call you good (and mean it) might take 5 to 10. But everybody's different...If a player is destined for greatness that will usually show up right away.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:08 am

Stickup?
hehehe - that's why you wearing a mask?

Is that an instrument option? I don;t see it at http://www.stick.com/instruments/

Thanks a lot!

Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:22 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

stickup is the standard pickup

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:43 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

That's not a mask - it's the helmet of my 1951 rocket powered flight suit.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:14 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

.....a month? a year? ten years?

Even the best players will tell you they still havent mastered it.......be prepared to have a boatload of patience. And when you deplete that boatload, you might better have another boatload on standby. If you practice a lot, you will see breakthroughs everyday though.

cheers and welcome!
kev

Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:09 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery