It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:48 am

Hi from Austria and new Bach video 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Hi from Austria and new Bach video
Great playing on Ants parade, by the way, André.

Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:06 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks Claire!

Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:41 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks a lot Oliver! Too bad, that the video quality isn't better.

Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:43 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Last edited by Jayesskerr on Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:24 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks a lot Scott!

Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:01 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Excellent! Great tone, wonderful playing, and superb presentation! Bravo!

I am intrigued by your setup. I like the idea of non-crossed hands, I imagine there is much less stress on the wrists...better ergonomics. I am also left handed and although I play a typical setup (classic tuning, 10 string) right handed, I would give serious consideration to trying a non crossed setup like this. I wonder though if it somehow limits how one can play different chords using the higher bass strings with the melody strings for certain phrases, as is possible in the original set up.

It makes me think, did Emmett try all these different setups prior to settling on the classic one? I would think, knowing he has a very inquisitive mind, that he did experiment with lots of setups along the way. Why did he settle on the classic setup? hmmmm.....

Did you have your stick set up by SE for this style, or is it something you were able to do yourself? If so, how difficult was it? I would probably continue playing with the stick on the left side, but with the bass on the left, melody on the right.

Anyway, I did want to express my appreciation for your video, keep 'em coming! :D

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:50 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

RandO wrote:
Excellent! Great tone, wonderful playing, and superb presentation! Bravo!

I am intrigued by your setup. I like the idea of non-crossed hands, I imagine there is much less stress on the wrists...better ergonomics. I am also left handed and although I play a typical setup (classic tuning, 10 string) right handed, I would give serious consideration to trying a non crossed setup like this. I wonder though if it somehow limits how one can play different chords using the higher bass strings with the melody strings for certain phrases, as is possible in the original set up.

It makes me think, did Emmett try all these different setups prior to settling on the classic one? I would think, knowing he has a very inquisitive mind, that he did experiment with lots of setups along the way. Why did he settle on the classic setup? hmmmm.....

Did you have your stick set up by SE for this style, or is it something you were able to do yourself? If so, how difficult was it? I would probably continue playing with the stick on the left side, but with the bass on the left, melody on the right.

Anyway, I did want to express my appreciation for your video, keep 'em coming! :D

RandO, there's only strain on your wrists with "crossed" playing if you hold your instrument a certain way. My DVD shows you all you need to know about instrument positioning to minimize wrist issues and increase your reach.

Taking nothing away from Andre's approach, which is brilliant. Whatever floats your boat. If Andre's approach appeals to you, you should give it a try. The instrument is easy enough to adjust to any tuning, provided you have one that has the fully intonatable bridge:

http://www.stick.com/instruments/construction/bridge/

Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks a lot for your comment RandO!

Let me briefly explain how my setup came about.
I tried a few right-hand Sticks and the position of the bass side felt comfortable for me as a left-hand player.
I’m originally a bass player, and that’s the reason for my non-crossed approach.

Initially, my idea was to combine a six-string bass tuned B to C in 4ths and a melody side with the same tuning one octave up, B to C in 4ths.

However, I soon found out why Emmett is using 5ths on the bass side: with my initial tuning, the notes on the bass side were too low for chord playing, and so I found myself playing chords and melody on the melody side.

A few years later, I decided to tune the bass strings a 4th higher. They’re E to F now. This finally made it possible for me to play chords and bass on the bass side.

I really like the 4ths for piano music. But I think my tuning only works with a Grand Stick. On a 10-string, I think the range on the bass side is too small if you tune in 4ths.

I’m not sure if the ergonomics are better one way or the other. 
I think Emmett knew exactly what he did. I have the greatest respect for his work, and I´m very thankful that he invented the Chapman Stick! I’ve just read the book “The StickMan” by Jim Reilly. I´m really impressed by Emmett’s untiring work to bring the Stick even closer to perfection.

About your setup question: I think Greg answered that. It should be easy enough to set up your instrument yourself if you continue to play the Stick on the left side.

My Stick is a converted right-hand instrument, and Emmett did the left-hand modification.

Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:22 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Greg wrote:
RandO, there's only strain on your wrists with "crossed" playing if you hold your instrument a certain way. My DVD shows you all you need to know about instrument positioning to minimize wrist issues and increase your reach.
Thanks for commenting on this Greg. I actually have your Free Hands DVD, and have watched most parts of it at least 5 or 6 times! When I first started learning to play this past January, I found my left thumb killing me, and both wrists. I spoke with you, bought the DVD, and I now find I have no issues with the thumb or the wrists.. as long as I play correctly lol! I was really intrigued with Andre's setup because it just looks easier to play. I am still so new, I guess I am exploring everything mentally. In the end though, I am just now starting to feel a bit more comfortable. To change everything now would probably result in me committing hari kari!! My stick is new enough to have the right bridge, but I also would fear messing it up beyond my ability to return it to the natural state.

Andre: Thanks for the explanation on your setup and the reasons why. I have no preconceived notions about the setup since I have never played a guitar or bass before. Being left handed in a right handed world, I have adapted many activities and I can use both hands for most things. Being a drummer has also helped in that regard. I love your individuality with how you set your stick up, but I would really bollox things up if I tried to change it right now!
I do hope you will post more often, it's so interesting to see the endless variations and combinations people have chosen to use. Emmett has really broadened our musical horizons!

12 String Padauk Grand #6693, Classic Tuning, medium strings, GK3 MIDI

Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:52 pm