It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 am

Hello from Texas 

Post Hello from Texas
Hello everyone! I'm Mark, I currently live in Texas. I purchased the 8 string version of "The Stick" last summer and really enjoyed it! I really don't have any history with guitar playing though I've played trumpet for about 6 years. I'm constantly experimenting with my Stick [mostly because I have little idea what I'm doing]. Hopefully I can find a good setup that will allow me to maximize my effort. Recently I thought of trying another tuning for the melody side where I tried the standard tuning similar to a guitar. Unfortunately that was a horrible idea because now I have two broken strings, I have little to no idea how to fix this and I admittedly feel a bit discouraged due to little progress I've made despite having my Stick for a little over a year. I really could use some guidance and advice because I am getting desperate here.

Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:09 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Hello from Texas
Yo, Mark! And welcome! You've come to the right place.

This is the greatest place on the planet for help and encouragement getting it going with your Stick.

Lots of folks will respond, but the first thing I would suggest is DO NOT approach the Stick like a guitar. It's a completely different instrument.

That being said, it is possible to tune your SB8 (since I believe that is what you have) like an 8-string bass or guitar BUT you need to get the right string set from Stick Enterprises. Call them tomorrow and order a set of SB8 strings in Standard Bass Fourths or 8-string Guitar if you really want that major third interval up there.

The thing is you will want to know how the instrument was tuned when you got it because you will want to adjust the intonation when you get your new string set if it wasn't tuned that way originally. It's not difficult and folks around here can help you, but your instrument will sound much better if you do it.

Once you have new strings on, you should strongly consider investing a few bucks in a some lessons with one of our elders here. Beginners often think they need to get a little experience before taking lessons, but that is absolutely not true - you will save a huge amount of time and frustration getting immediate personal feedback in the beginning.

Then you should get Greg Howard's The Stick Book and Steve Adelson's Stickology as well as their instructional DVDs.

And off you go! ;)

Keep in touch!

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫
Tarara 10-String #6300 DBR
Black Railboard #6594 BM
♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫

Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:11 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Hi Mark!

I'm in Denton. How far away are you?

I've been playing for a quarter century plus. I'd be glad to help if you're nearby. Aside from that, the greats all offer Skype lessons - Greg Howard, Steve Adelson, and (maybe?) Bob Culbertson.

R

Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:03 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Welcome to this forum.

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

rodan07 wrote:
Aside from that, the greats all offer Skype lessons - Greg Howard, Steve Adelson, and (maybe?) Bob Culbertson.

Do not forget Dave Brosky!

Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:15 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Beat me to it, Rob!
And a belated welcome to you!

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:29 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Mark.! Welcome Welcome..

You'll get plenty of good advice here for SB8. Just remember your first thought of being a Stickist was one of the best days of your life.

Phillip Glass .. "First thought, best thought"

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:30 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

rodan07 wrote:
Hi Mark!

I'm in Denton. How far away are you?

I've been playing for a quarter century plus. I'd be glad to help if you're nearby. Aside from that, the greats all offer Skype lessons - Greg Howard, Steve Adelson, and (maybe?) Bob Culbertson.

R

I'm about 2 hours south of you. I'm in Killeen, TX. Thanks for the offer for your help I'd definitely have no problem making the trip. How do I look into these skype lessons?

Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:47 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

MacLeRoy wrote:
How do I look into these skype lessons?

Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:03 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Don't we have a FAQ around here?

That list would be great addition!