It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:27 am

Hello 

Post Hello
Hello All,
Well, I figured I'd add to the list. Came to this along the standard path T. Levin with Crimson (The Disipline show at the Savoy in Manhattan, still one of the best concerts I have seen) and Gabriel. Actually also met Emmett back in '85 when I was living in LA, at some small club where he was playing. If I remember right he had a C64 with a hand wired midi interface. So, some thirty years later - now in the Hudson Valley NY area, I just received my 10-string #5980 Satine,stick-up, baritone melody. Very nice. I'm plugging into an RME fireface 400 - Quad core,W7 PC - running Cubase 5 w/ Guitar Rig 5, Roland PK5 midi pedals...... I've played keyboards since I was 16 - Yes Relayer tour. Guitar freted,fretless, midi'd.....suffering from gear/software overload, I'm actually looking to play the Stick with minimal processing. I like it's clean timbre, reminds me of my Clavinet days-which was a favorite keyboard to just sit and play. So, that's the intro, we'll see where this goes from here.

Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:07 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Hello
>>>>>Hello All,
....Came to this along the standard path T. Levin with Crimson (The Disipline show at the Savoy in Manhattan, still one of the best concerts I have seen) and Gabriel...<<<<<<

Hello Yesman, I also have been getting into the Stick Men (and Stick Man) work with Tony Levin on Stick and Pat Mastelotto the drummer (King Crimson) Great playing from them.

Welcome.

www.cliffordmarshallvanburen.com
www.youtube.com/user/DoubleBassDrumMusic
www.facebook.com/CliffordMarshallVanBuren

Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:32 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

where are you living now? we are having a seminar in connecticut.

Brett

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:17 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

hi yesman,

i see you're in the hudson valley. i'm guessing ny? i'm in hopewell junction. would be nice to have a fellow stick player almost next door. i'd be interested in a heartstrings type adventure if you're into collaboration. i've played keyboards my whole life... electric violin the past 2 years and stick since january. between my gear and yours it sounds like we could fill a stage twice. have a large studio so rehearsals not a problem. let me know what direction you think you might be headed.

nice cyber-meeting you.

jimi

Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Hey all,
I'm in Pleasant Valley, NY, I'll be away during the end of the month so I will miss the seminar. Jimi, is your tag a Lamb reference? As to getting together, I am way shy when it comes to playing, especially with a new instrument, so I'll have to woodshed for a bit and see how it goes. Also, not familiar with Heartstrings I'll have to look them up. I don't have guitars anymore, just sold the last to get the Stick and have scaled back the keys to a Moog Voyager and some VSTi stuff (G-force,Arturia...). I have some problems with my hands - Dupuytrens Contracture - so playing is not always what I want it to be. But, I will be on this site fairly often so we can keep in touch. (Stick pun intended).

Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:45 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Yesman,

Yes. Lamb. =o)

Pleasant Valley "right up the block.". !!
The stick was a great choice given the Dupuytren's Contracture. More than a few challenged players with various issues (myself included) are drawn to it for that very reason. Emmett's design just begs to be played by everyone.

No rush on the public performance =o) I'm a total newbie as well. Heartstrings is an awesome stick duo (with the kind of licks to get paid, though never enough!)

Greg Howard's most recent video was invaluable to my basic approach if you're looking for a jumping-off point. I think your decision to persue a "clean" stick sound is very wise. I've been stuck in midi-land (GR-55 & Logic) since I got mine and it's not doing my technique any good at all.

Best of fun with your new stick.
Jimi

Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:24 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery