It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:13 pm

New Stick Player in Minnesota 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post New Stick Player in Minnesota
I'll start by saying that it's really cool to have this forum. It doesn't take long to figure out that the Stickist community is a very supportive bunch.

Anyway, I ordered my first Stick back in December and tried for a couple months to figure out things on my own. There are a lot of great resources out there in the way of books youtube videos etc. But I've finally started to get my act together now that I've been taking Skype lessons from Greg.

I read in another post that you need to forget and remember the concepts from other instruments when you learn the Stick. So true. I played violin as a kid until about halfway through college when I decided to focus on guitar and becoming the next Al Di Meola. That didn't quite pan out. The concepts from those two instruments help me out somewhat but they definitely lack the free-hands approach that the Stick enables. My thumbs still want to be the anchor (or in the drivers' seat, whichever metaphor you prefer). And now I have to read bass cleff. All cows eat grass, or something like that. :)

My stick (#6080) is a classic dark bamboo 10-string with dark pearl linear inlays, black tuners, and the Stickup. As soon as I opened the case, I knew I was dealing with quality craftsmanship done by people who care. I play through a Behringer mixer and two powered Behringer Truth studio monitors. Sounds nice without any effects.

I'm curious to know if there are any other Stick players from Minnesota on the forum.

One more thing regarding my decision to start learning the Stick. For the past 6 years I had spent (wasted?) a lot of time playing online video games (MMORPGs for those who care). Last December, I decided enough is enough and it was time to do something more worthwhile with my time. I think I made the right choice. Quite liberating to overcome what is really a time wasting addiction.

Cheers.
Dave Johnson

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:43 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: New Stick Player in Minnesota
Welcome Dave,

DaveJ wrote:
One more thing regarding my decision to start learning the Stick. For the past 6 years I had spent (wasted?) a lot of time playing online video games (MMORPGs for those who care).

I would have totally lost respect for you if you said you wanted to play Stick because you got really good at Guitar Hero. :lol:

Welcome aboard!

Samson

http://www.samsonstick.com

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:23 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

samsonstick wrote:
Welcome Dave,

DaveJ wrote:
One more thing regarding my decision to start learning the Stick. For the past 6 years I had spent (wasted?) a lot of time playing online video games (MMORPGs for those who care).

I would have totally lost respect for you if you said you wanted to play Stick because you got really good at Guitar Hero. :lol:

Welcome aboard!

Samson

lol. I wouldn't blame you! I'm really no good at Guitar Hero.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:26 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Dave.
Welcome to the stick community.

cheers,
kev

Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery