It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:36 am

Anybody in Scotland? 

Post Anybody in Scotland?
Hi All,

I'm a reasonably competent electric bass player in West Central Scotland as well as a classically-trained woodwind player. I've been intrigued/inspired by Chapman Stick players such as Tony Levin, Nick Beggs and groups such as the Rocket Scientists. I am just wondering if there are any Chapman Stick players somewhere near Glasgow that would be kind enough to let me try playing one before I think about purchasing. After all, it's a fair amount of money to shell out if you've never had one in your hands before.

I'm not looking for a short-term loan of one or anything like that, just 30 minutes or so to see if, when I pick one up, that it feels like an instrument that I could have an affinity with, or if I have any aptitude for it!

cheers

Ralph

Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:04 am
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Anybody in Scotland?
I'm not in Scotland, but if you're ever down in Surrey (Dorking/Guildford area) send me a PM. I have a classic tuned 10 string, possibly the most common Stick setup to start with (which is what I'm doing). Mine is supported by a cello spike rather than a belt hook, but that should make very little difference for a first try.

Sticks come up on ebay.co.uk from time to time. Some, like mine, are older instruments which haven't been played a lot, and they can be good deals to start off with (mine was £700). You may well get your money back if you don't get on with it.

Max

Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:57 am

I should be moving to Stirling sometime round the start of June. You'd be welcome to come over and try out my Alto. Suggest you PM me nearer the time.

Jerry.

Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:08 am

Thanks Jerry, a very kind offer. All the best with the move.

@Max, thanks for the offer. I thought I'd posted a reply previously, but it doesn't seem to be here . . . I'm watching ebay for any Sticks that come up, I hadn't really twigged that they hold their value well. I'll let you know if I'm in your neck of the woods.

cheers

Ralph

Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:23 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Maybe you would be interesting to attend that little event : http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4493&p=33906#p33906
Let me know! ;)

Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery