It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:31 am

never too old in new york 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post never too old in new york
greetings everyone. i'm making the leap in the next few days. deciding stick configuration is a pretty daunting endeavor. having to wait for it (build time) will be the only thing more difficult!

i've been a keyboard player my whole life. electric violin the past 4 years... but i've always had that nagging itch to scratch since my first peter gabriel concert with tony levin.

at 50 years old, i'm giving myself the rest of my time on the planet to get as proficient as possible.

i'll be posting an interesting "journey to sanity" under the teflon tab. fortunately, it only took 2 months to come to my senses. will also be picking your experienced brains with some technical questions (configuration) either later today or early tomorrow under the chapman stick tab.

thank you in advance for your insight and advice. my very first stick! can't tell you how excited i am.. but i'm sure you've been there.. done that. =o)

nice meeting you all,

jimi

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:02 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: never too old in new york
Jimi

I'm in Connecticut. If you want to try a grand stick on for size, I will make time for you to come by and try one out. Where are you in NY?

It's always good to hold different models, and see how they feel. unfortunately I only have 2 grand sticks, but they do have different pickups and inlays.

Also, Steve Adelson is in Long Island and is a great resource. Think about taking lessons from him (and going to a seminar when one come around)

Hope this helps

Brett

Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Welcome to the Stick and to the forum. I was older than you when I started and I'm having the best musical time of my life. What Stick are you leaning towards? It almost doesn't matter which one you get first, the resale value is very high and you can change your mind. I started on a 10-string in baritone tuning, switched to a 12-string grand in MR, and now I have an SG12 with mirrored 4ths. It's a great adventure and I'm loving it.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Greetings and Salutations!! welcome!!! you are embarking on a wonderful journey for the next 40 or 50 years of your life!! Wonderful.... How about if WE ALL drop the "age" thing... and adobt something more useful, like "The more I mature in age, the better, more well rounded I will become in all things.... Music is one of those endeavors.... Did anyone get the honor of seeing Joe Zawinul play in his later years (he died on the road at 75). He was playing better than ever. So... regardless when you start, and particularly with your musical prowess on piano and violin, you are going to be a wonderful player.... Welcome again!!!!! :D

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:34 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I was given my Stick for my 40th. I have had it two weeks and it has already been the best gift ever!

I got a Rosewood, Classic tuned, 10-String, with ACTV-2 Pickup.

When I get home from work or after the children are in bed, I try and get at least 30 minutes to play and learn. It really helps me to get away into a different thought pattern and mindset.

I'm not good, in fact I feel like I shouldn't even be trying to play one, but Hopefully with time, I will feel worthy of it.

Red Railboard Classic

Host of Beyond the Playlist with JHammondC

Last edited by JHammondC on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:09 am

hey man great idea, i am in your wave length at 54 ready to start
so welcome

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:09 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

This conversation reminds me of a quote that I believe is from Sean Stirling. Maybe he'll correct me if I'm wrong. After a young person watched him play the kid said something like, "The Chapman Stick is an instrument for grownups."

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Hi Jim,

You youngsters crack me up.
I just took up the stick at 57.
I have almost no musical training, so my journey into Stickdome will probably be a bit more challenging.

I got the bug when I saw Bob Culbertson at a Chicago street fair back in '99. Now that I am retired, I have plenty of time to practice.

If I had a quarter for every time I said "if I had a nickel", I would have five times the virtual money.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:18 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Ziggy wrote:
Hi Jim,

You youngsters crack me up.
I just took up the stick at 57.
I have almost no musical training, so my journey into Stickdome will probably be a bit more challenging.

I got the bug when I saw Bob Culbertson at a Chicago street fair back in '99. Now that I am retired, I have plenty of time to practice.
Hi Chuck,

I've had lots of students who come The Stick later in life. It's a very logical framework on which to learn how music works as well.

Whatever you do, make sure your inlay choice offers good contrast. When you need them you need them!

Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:44 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I bought a 12 string Grand stick this year for my 53rd birthday. Absolutely love it!
I played a little guitar (badly) before, I saw Bob Culbertson on television here in Australia, 6 month later I ordered my stick not having ever even held one, 5 months on I can play a couple of songs and I'm having a ball.
I say go for it man, if anyone out there is thinking about getting a stick but a little hesitant, just go for it.

Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:23 pm