It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:17 pm

Hello, newbie in Germany 

Post Hello, newbie in Germany
Hello there,

I'm a complete Chapman Stick newbie based in Germany (US ex-pat).
Having first heard about the instrument way back in the early 90s (when I was a teenager), I had always thought I would try it out one day.
That day has now come.

My musical background is first and foremost percussive, sitting behind a drum or drum set. I picked up the bass guitar as a hobby several years ago and it only made sense to take this leap. Though, I do admire the thought I've come across that some come to this instrument completely uncontaminated by other instruments (my choice of words and I mean it in a positive sense!) and those Stickists seem to be just fine if not even better off (in the long run).

Anyway, I emailed SE for info on my Stick (over a month ago now) and haven't heard back from them (not that I would expect to the high on their priority list). According to the previous owner, the Stick (#753) is from the 80s.

When looking into getting new strings, I read on the website that they only recommend light gauge strings for all Sticks made before '89. I guess that pretty much settles it for me.

I haven't decided whether to go straight for the Classic tuning or perhaps MR.

Are there any meetings in Europe for Stick players and enthusiasts?

See you!

Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:50 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Hello, newbie in Germany
Welcome to the forum.
From looking at your posts, you tried to buy several different Sticks.
Which one did you get? What type of materials is it made from?

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:39 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

jbourg6 wrote:
Hello there,

I'm a complete Chapman Stick newbie based in Germany (US ex-pat).
Having first heard about the instrument way back in the early 90s (when I was a teenager), I had always thought I would try it out one day.
That day has now come.

My musical background is first and foremost percussive, sitting behind a drum or drum set. I picked up the bass guitar as a hobby several years ago and it only made sense to take this leap. Though, I do admire the thought I've come across that some come to this instrument completely uncontaminated by other instruments (my choice of words and I mean it in a positive sense!) and those Stickists seem to be just fine if not even better off (in the long run).

Anyway, I emailed SE for info on my Stick (over a month ago now) and haven't heard back from them (not that I would expect to the high on their priority list). According to the previous owner, the Stick (#753) is from the 80s.

When looking into getting new strings, I read on the website that they only recommend light gauge strings for all Sticks made before '89. I guess that pretty much settles it for me.

Are there any meetings in Europe for Stick players and enthusiasts?

See you!
Your stick is probably set up for classic tuning. I would keep with that. Once you get more proficient , you can revisit the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:49 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

jbourg6 wrote:
Anyway, I emailed SE for info on my Stick (over a month ago now) and haven't heard back from them

I suggest trying again. Jeff usually replies in a day or so & SE are typically very keen to know where their instruments get to.
Mabye use a subject line something like "Stick #753 has a new owner"?

jbourg6 wrote:
According to the previous owner, the Stick (#753) is from the 80s.

In which case it probably has a fixed bridge, i.e. 10 slotted screws, and a pair of unadjustable truss rod in the back, which would make it an 'Ironwood' Stick. Is that correct?

jbourg6 wrote:

If it's a 1980's Ironwood then you really only have 2 choices, Classis light, or Baritone Melody light (& even for that you need to ask SE for a set of special bridge screws too).

There are two reasons for that.
a) The lack of an adjustable truss rod means that the overall string tension needs to be pretty much unchanged.
b) The fixed bridge means you can't adjust intonation.

The only reason that Baritone Melody is possible is that the 2 special bridge screws are shaped to make a small change to the intonation.

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:59 am

WerkSpace wrote:
Welcome to the forum.
From looking at your posts, you tried to buy several different Sticks.
Which one did you get? What type of materials is it made from?

Thanks.
Yes, I joined the forum at the beginning of this year and started asking around quite quickly, only to realize that I needed to wait for the right one to show up. The location was usually the greatest obstacle. Either I would need to find one in Europe or have it shipped across the globe. The other option would be to buy one in the States and wait until I visit (next year).
It was the right to decision to not rush it, mostly as I am interested to see how I'll get along with the instrument and don't "need" one.

After months of not even checking the site, I logged on in late October and read a post about #753 for sale in Belgium https://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16820 and I was the lucky one.
Now the adventure has begun.

Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:26 am

DavidWS wrote:
jbourg6 wrote:
Anyway, I emailed SE for info on my Stick (over a month ago now) and haven't heard back from them

I suggest trying again. Jeff usually replies in a day or so & SE are typically very keen to know where their instruments get to.
Mabye use a subject line something like "Stick #753 has a new owner"?

jbourg6 wrote:
According to the previous owner, the Stick (#753) is from the 80s.

In which case it probably has a fixed bridge, i.e. 10 slotted screws, and a pair of unadjustable truss rod in the back, which would make it an 'Ironwood' Stick. Is that correct?

jbourg6 wrote:

If it's a 1980's Ironwood then you really only have 2 choices, Classis light, or Baritone Melody light (& even for that you need to ask SE for a set of special bridge screws too).

There are two reasons for that.
a) The lack of an adjustable truss rod means that the overall string tension needs to be pretty much unchanged.
b) The fixed bridge means you can't adjust intonation.

The only reason that Baritone Melody is possible is that the 2 special bridge screws are shaped to make a small change to the intonation.

Thanks.
So, here we are. First lesson, please.
Tell me where I'm wrong.
As far as I can tell, the truss rod is adjustable (there's a nut behind the belt hook) and there's a wrench in the case.
The belt hook is not adjustable, which according to what I've read is an indication of its age.
Have a look at the photos and tell me what you know (that I obviously don't) plus anything else you think I should know as a newbie.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:56 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Your #753 is not from the 1980s. He is a 1990s model with an adjustable bridge, round headstock and fret rods. Probably hi is made from red oak or shedua. In the 1990s, SE started numbering Sticks from the beginning. With this bridge you can set any tuning using strings of any thickness.

10-String 5↓4↑ Internally C Matched Padouk Stick #351 with XXL GK & Stickup
12-String 5↓4↑ Internally C Matched XG Grand Stick #5428 with dual GK & Custom Pickups
10-String 5↓4↑ Internally A Matched Tarara Alto Stick #5689 with GK & Stickup

Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:19 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

mahabresq wrote:
Your #753 is not from the 1980s. He is a 1990s model with an adjustable bridge, round headstock and fret rods. Probably hi is made from red oak or shedua. In the 1990s, SE started numbering Sticks from the beginning. With this bridge you can set any tuning using strings of any thickness.

Thanks.
The more I have researched, I also realized that it can't be from the 80s (again that's just what the seller said).

Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:22 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

jbourg6 wrote:
Tell me where I'm wrong.

As you now know, this isn't #753 from the first number sequence (which would have put it in the 80s), it's #753 from the restarted sequence.

If you not seen it yet, there's a 'Timeline of Stick Advancements' page at SE: https://stick.com/about/history/timeline/

jbourg6 wrote:
The belt hook is not adjustable, which according to what I've read is an indication of its age.

That belt hook is adjustable. It's currently at one extreme of the possible locations. If you want to move the hook position, undo the two screws.

Then fit them back in using one of the other pairs of holes (the holes in the 'outer' leaf are there to provide the extra access you need for that). I hope that makes sense now?

N.B. take care when re-fitting. The screws are just threaded into the body wood, so try to avoid messing up or stripping the threads in the wood (but if you do don't panic, there are easy ways to get back to a tight fit).

Bamboo Grand 12 2024 #7472 Stickup Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Bamboo Grand 12 2009 #5826 PASV4 Low Xtnd Classic Melody (Outer 5ths)
Graphite 10 2009 #5862 PASV4 Classic

Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:48 am

DavidWS wrote:
jbourg6 wrote:
Tell me where I'm wrong.

As you now know, this isn't #753 from the first number sequence (which would have put it in the 80s), it's #753 from the restarted sequence.

If you not seen it yet, there's a 'Timeline of Stick Advancements' page at SE: https://stick.com/about/history/timeline/

jbourg6 wrote:

That belt hook is adjustable. It's currently at one extreme of the possible locations. If you want to move the hook position, undo the two screws.

Then fit them back in using one of the other pairs of holes (the holes in the 'outer' leaf are there to provide the extra access you need for that). I hope that makes sense now?

N.B. take care when re-fitting. The screws are just threaded into the body wood, so try to avoid messing up or stripping the threads in the wood (but if you do don't panic, there are easy ways to get back to a tight fit).

Thanks.
Yes, I had read about Emmett restarting the numbering in the 90s.

And thanks for the info about the belt hook.

I'll disappear into the shed now.

Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:05 pm